Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

KONA - We might get our big wind day finally...
Quote | Reply
Well we are still over a week away but the current long range for Hawi has big wind with gusts of 50kmh+ !

They tend to get the trade wind forecasts quite accurate a ways out so this might be the year for the bike to be brutally tough and that should make this race more interesting on many fronts.

yes, yes I know this could change given its 8 days out but I hope it doesn't. Those racing take a shallow front wheel if this forecast holds.
Quote Reply
Re: KONA - We might get our big wind day finally... [Canuck1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If so, no one will break 8 hours :P
Quote Reply
Re: KONA - We might get our big wind day finally... [Yeti racer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Perhaps not even 8:20 if that wind shows up.....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It will make for a very different and interesting race!

Member of the Litespeed Factory Team
www.litespeed.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last week I had mainly south wind so today I thought do a quick ride on the Queen K from Palani to Hapuna Beach where my family was with the car (nearly where the Hawi ascent starts).
First 30 minutes were ok and than a strong headwind started making the ride not so quick.
One hour 25 minutes: an average of 33,4 km/h was all I could get.

Yes you might think you only loose time in Kona and to Hawi, but also the Highway can be a devil.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 MKGA!!!

Ruble Triathlon Coaching Average of 30 coached PR's per year
Florida Triathlon Camps Train in North Americas winter training destination
Ruble Racing Events Midwest Triathlon Racing
Ruble Timing Midwest Event Timing
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's Hawai'i, the forecast can change from 8 hours out. As much as I'd like to see this, I won't make the judgement until I see whether Weiss on his sail of a bike is being blown half way across the lane.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This will help Monty on our bets...and yet I’LL TAKE IT!! I want to see a tough sob of a race!
Quote Reply
Re: KONA - We might get our big wind day finally... [Culley22] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hows the humidity these days? Lange loves a high humidity index
Quote Reply
Re: KONA - We might get our big wind day finally... [lacticturkey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Big wind day, then I'm backing Skipper and Wurf for #1 & #2
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Where are you getting this from? Everywhere I’ve looked has the typical 10-12mph (16-19kph).
Quote Reply
Re: KONA - We might get our big wind day finally... [Nick2413] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: KONA - We might get our big wind day finally... [hadukla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well 2 days out and the forecast at Hawi is holding for some serious wind with gusts still forecast up to 33mph.

Unfortunately the forecast for the fist 60k and last 60k part of the bike course looks pretty calm so lots of easier pack riding until they get to Kaiwahe on turn up to Hawi. At least that 60k up/back from Hawi in the wind should shake it out when the uber bike train is hopefully making their move to the front pack.

Come on wind. Make this a classic.

Also humidity will be down substantially from last year and chances of more cloud cover should help those not quite as strong in heat/humidity. Swim will also be very flat based on the current morning forecast.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Crap! I want open skies, bright beautiful (hot) sunshine, humidity to curl hair, and wind....some SERIOUS wind. I want a race that the winner earned the hard way!
Quote Reply
Re: KONA - We might get our big wind day finally... [Culley22] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Currently forecast is for 21mph winds in Hawi, 17 mph winds in Waimea. 9mph back in Kona.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Canuck1 wrote:
Well 2 days out and the forecast at Hawi is holding for some serious wind with gusts still forecast up to 33mph.

Unfortunately the forecast for the fist 60k and last 60k part of the bike course looks pretty calm so lots of easier pack riding until they get to Kaiwahe on turn up to Hawi. At least that 60k up/back from Hawi in the wind should shake it out when the uber bike train is hopefully making their move to the front pack.

Come on wind. Make this a classic.

Also humidity will be down substantially from last year and chances of more cloud cover should help those not quite as strong in heat/humidity. Swim will also be very flat based on the current morning forecast.

The difference in an hour coming through Waikoloa can really impact the wind. 2014 the pro's had calm winds, maybe even a tailwind. I got there probably and hour later given the waves and a leisurely 1:14 swim, and I had big headwinds and crosswinds for the rest of the ride. Whole different race when you start early and swim 50 minutes. I'm hoping for serious wind!
Quote Reply
Re: KONA - We might get our big wind day finally... [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Meh.

RowToTri wrote:
Currently forecast is for 21mph winds in Hawi, 17 mph winds in Waimea. 9mph back in Kona.
Quote Reply
Re: KONA - We might get our big wind day finally... [TH3_FRB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
meh eh? haha.

Wind low 20s mph but gusts to 30mph + at Hawi...... Go ride it and lets see if you are still saying meh. If Cam Wurf is concerned about the difficulty riding up there in those winds its a bit more than "meh"......
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have ridden it. It's not nothing but certainly not an epic wind day.

Canuck1 wrote:
meh eh? haha.

Go ride it and lets see if you are still saying meh.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Alright Canuck1, you got me.

https://darksky.net/...8/2019-10-12/us12/en

Hawi is blowing hard all day long tomorrow (20+ mph sustained) thanks to storms hitting my hometown hard. This is the Kona we wanted (unless you're Patrick Lange)

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A visualization of how the winds interact with the island. https://www.windfinder.com/#9/20.0688/-155.8493

*Note that site defaults to knots for wind speed.
Quote Reply
Re: KONA - We might get our big wind day finally... [hadukla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Indeed. It looks even worse than forecast up at Hawi with gusts showing over 40mph right at Hawi.

Please everyone racing really think hard about your front wheel choice. You will be very glad to have something more shallow up front.

Its not going to be windy in Kona town and it will be quite calm for the first 90mins of the ride but its going to get very wild and dangerous up on the top 60k section.

Be safe all.

This will change the race without question.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can’t see Wurf being too concerned about the wind gusting. At IM Wales 2017 it was gusting up to 45mph and if I remember correctly he set the bike course record on the way to the win.
Quote Reply
Re: KONA - We might get our big wind day finally... [t1mmy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
t1mmy wrote:
I can’t see Wurf being too concerned about the wind gusting. At IM Wales 2017 it was gusting up to 45mph and if I remember correctly he set the bike course record on the way to the win.

Agree. I think the word concerned was the wrong way to frame it.

Wurf has mentioned why he rode a 303 before, given difficulty in handling on windy days up towards Hawi. For him to choose a 303 says enough when others are riding deeper. He made comment on making a bit of fun at Jan as he rode by Jan fighting to hang on to his deep wheel a few years back. Bascially saying no one should be riding a deep wheel up there on the wrong day.

No doubt Wurf is going to love these winds, but he also respects what it means re: handling. If he's on a shallow wheel which I'm sure he will be than everyone else should be as well.
Quote Reply