Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

KK Fluid Trainer New Noise at Higher RPM
Quote | Reply
At 90+ rpm my trainer is now making a higher pitched gurgling sound.

I tightened every bolt. I have not opened up the fluid compartment opposite the fly wheel for fear of making a crazy mess.

The trainer is easily 10 yrs old and doesn’t owe me anything. But.... any ideas on what maintenance might be required?
Quote Reply
Re: KK Fluid Trainer New Noise at Higher RPM [SBRinSD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When a 0-ring/seal fails in a fluid trainer you can end up getting a high pitch squeal once it heated up and at speed. This would be common for a 10 yr old fluid trainer but it usually also results is a small amount of fluid leaking from the trainer. The other potential problem is a damage blade inside the resistance unit. Could be that once you reach a certain speed the damage becomes more noticeable.

In either case its not really a do it at home job and I have never found it cost effective to get the fluid units repaired. Shipping costs tend to be so high its cheaper to just get a new trainer.
Quote Reply
Re: KK Fluid Trainer New Noise at Higher RPM [scott8888] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks! Figured this was the way it was headed.

Now, to decide what to buy as a replacement / upgrade.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
KK fluid trainers are completely sealed so don't use o-rings. Magnets couple drive to the impeller.

Because of this they have a very good lifetime warranty on their units. Try contacting them.
Quote Reply
Re: KK Fluid Trainer New Noise at Higher RPM [corbechev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks - I will. It has been very reliable and I struggle to replace it with something that would be any less durable.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SBRinSD wrote:
Thanks - I will. It has been very reliable and I struggle to replace it with something that would be any less durable.

time to upgrade. ;) I have a cycleops fluid 2 that leaked but saris replaced it no questions asked. But in the meantime I had purchased a tacx vortex smart trainer. It works fine but not as solid as cycleops or KK trainers
Quote Reply
Re: KK Fluid Trainer New Noise at Higher RPM [corbechev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great advice.

I contacted KK and sent them a video. REI helped out by sending me my ~10 year old receipt. End result is they are sending me replacement resistance unit.

For the way I like to train I cannot beat the KK. At this point I don’t need direct drive or the smart trainer features. I have my workouts on a small white board - I enjoy ticking off each completed interval. Also, I am happy to leave a bike on the trainer that has a PM and a cheap training wheel with older tires no longer fit for the road with and a speed sensor strapped on to the hub.

I am pumped to get another bunch of years out of the KK. Maybe by then I will change my mind in smart trainers and / or KK will have a new offering. I would love to reward KK with my future business.

Thanks again!
Quote Reply