Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Just registered for Oceanside 2019 - How long till it sells out this year?
Quote | Reply
I have wanted to do this race for several years but it seems to sell out faster and faster each year. I usually do St. George as a Utah guy, but I may just do both this year. Curious how long you predict until it sells out this year.
Quote Reply
Re: Just registered for Oceanside 2019 - How long till it sells out this year? [jbflyfisher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Probably by mid day today.
Quote Reply
Re: Just registered for Oceanside 2019 - How long till it sells out this year? [Mark] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So just checked and Tier 1 is still available at 520pm pacific. Personally annoys me how high they keep pushing the race entries and Oceanside seems to be the litmus test for determining how high they can push it. Over $420 with fees at the cheapest, no thanks. Would be nice if triathletes can send a message that this is too much.
Quote Reply
Re: Just registered for Oceanside 2019 - How long till it sells out this year? [CP78] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
$405, so I can afford a few gels 😄.

2017 fees were $350 plus active this year $375 plus. Not that much of an increase, but I remember the days when you could sign up for o side in September. For some reason this race has really taken off
Quote Reply
Re: Just registered for Oceanside 2019 - How long till it sells out this year? [CP78] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did. $400 for a half is too rich for my blood.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Re: Just registered for Oceanside 2019 - How long till it sells out this year? [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ChrisM wrote:

2017 fees were $350 plus active this year $375 plus. Not that much of an increase, but I remember the days when you could sign up for o side in September. For some reason this race has really taken off
Yup even I remember that, and it was probably only around $250 + fees (which were a lot less than now). It wasn't even all that long ago (5-6 years). Give it a year or 2~3 and it's $500 for a 70.3 and $1000 for a 140.6 ...
Quote Reply
Re: Just registered for Oceanside 2019 - How long till it sells out this year? [alex_korr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I live close enough that it is a one night stay. St George is a 7 hour drive and 3 nights or longer (in Vegas with wife).
So Oceanside is cheaper for me 😜.
I’ll probably do both. Life is short and I am old.

Team Zoot So Cal
Quote Reply
Re: Just registered for Oceanside 2019 - How long till it sells out this year? [Benv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Benv wrote:
ChrisM wrote:

Yup even I remember that, and it was probably only around $250 + fees (which were a lot less than now). It wasn't even all that long ago (5-6 years). Give it a year or 2~3 and it's $500 for a 70.3 and $1000 for a 140.6 ...

My IM (Canada) this year is almost cheaper than O'side

It really is iconic though I think. Traditional "season opener" on the west coast so it feels like an event

For kicks, $350 as of May 2016 to May 2018 (no July numbers) is $366. Also just found my receipt for 2011 Rohto Oceanside, $315. Adjusted for inflation? $366

so really not that much more than 2 or 8 years ago (anything to justify it)
Quote Reply
Re: Just registered for Oceanside 2019 - How long till it sells out this year? [Karl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is how St. George is for me. This year I drove down Friday morning and came home Saturday after the race. O-side works out great for 2019, my kids are on spring break the week of the race so we can hit Disneyland for a couple days then head to the race. Looks like the Springhill Suites in Oceanside is a good location for the race. I have always enjoyed running on the Strand when I am there on vacation and I am really excited to race. Talked two of my buddies into racing as well :)
Quote Reply
Re: Just registered for Oceanside 2019 - How long till it sells out this year? [jbflyfisher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In previous years it sold out within the first few hours. Can't remember a time it being available this long. Could have something to do with the price, though its always been the priciest American 70.3

-------------------------------------------------------------
Tough Times Don't Last, Tough People Do.
Quote Reply
Re: Just registered for Oceanside 2019 - How long till it sells out this year? [TriSpencer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's 10pm and there are still slots available at Tier 2. I have heard many of my friends complain about the pricing, but only one person not signing up due to it.

I wonder if the slower than normal sale is due to price, or official beach entry? or both?
Quote Reply
Re: Just registered for Oceanside 2019 - How long till it sells out this year? [TulkasTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did Oceanside this year after a couple years of wanting to do it but missing the deadline. I didn't think it was near as good of a race as they billed it to be. I wouldn't do it again at last years price, much less this new kick in the balls price for 2019.
Quote Reply
Re: Just registered for Oceanside 2019 - How long till it sells out this year? [TulkasTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
let's face it, the odds of it actually being a beach start and not end up back in the harbor are probably in the 25-30% range...at best

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Just registered for Oceanside 2019 - How long till it sells out this year? [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
let's face it, the odds of it actually being a beach start and not end up back in the harbor are probably in the 25-30% range...at best

I haven't seen any announcement but this year the cut-off was 3 feet I think, but I believe they set it that low just to appease the people that were upset about the late change in course. I'm hopeful they will raise the threshold a bit to keep it as a beach start.

Note: this is coming from a non-swimmer that would benefit from a marina swim.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TulkasTri wrote:
It's 10pm and there are still slots available at Tier 2. I have heard many of my friends complain about the pricing, but only one person not signing up due to it.

I wonder if the slower than normal sale is due to price, or official beach entry? or both?

Put me in the camp that the race itself is to costly, with added airfare and lodging. I would rather go to San Diego for an extended weekend without my bike and the race and spend the money on other options, or just go and hike, or rent a bike when I got there. But finances and travel logistics are not worth it for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
iirc they said 4ft, which is kind of typical out there for that time of year iirc from what some of the online chatter was about waves.

I swam from transition over to the pier the day before the race and it was pretty easy to get out and through the breakers. The toughest part was swimming out while the surfers were coming in

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Just registered for Oceanside 2019 - How long till it sells out this year? [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
iirc they said 4ft, which is kind of typical out there for that time of year iirc from what some of the online chatter was about waves.

I swam from transition over to the pier the day before the race and it was pretty easy to get out and through the breakers. The toughest part was swimming out while the surfers were coming in

I did a practice swim the day before and the waves were larger than what they were the day of, and to be honest it was fine. I think a lot of it is mental; I am not a swimmer, but I'm not really scared of the waves, but I've been out there with people that are completely unable to get through the breakers, even after you explain that they have to get under them. They keep trying to jump over them and get pushed back.

For me the hardest part is coming back in. Whenever I try and catch a wave and body-surf I end up being rag dolled by the freaking wave. Need more practice.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I also swam the day before the race and thought the waves were fine and sort of fun to navigate on the swim from the beach... but I did think about all the 1st timers who are still timid about an open water swim and thought they would really struggle if their first 5 minutes of the race was getting pelted by waves and the logistics of keeping swim support near the swimmers who are struggling in the waves would have been a challenge. There were certainly a few bigger waves breaking where I was swimming out near the pier and it seemed Friday were the biggest waves of the week... Sat morning looked fine out there. I was bummed they pulled the beach start but understood the reason. Fingers crossed this year they can stick with it:)

Quote | Reply
Wow -- so disappointing. I was really hoping to do this next year. I had no idea it sold out so fast. I never even got an email reminding me to sign-up.

How long do the IM Foundation entries for $700 typically remain available?
Quote Reply