Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Just curious...what would you chose...
Quote | Reply
...between a 20 Km TT or a 10 km run this Sunday.

Both the local cycling club and running club have an event this Sunday. For me it's a no brainer - I'd never give up a chance to ride the bike to go (ugh) running. For my wife, she's just the opposite. So I'm off to the TT and she's off for a run this coming Sunday.

Just curious what you'd chose.
Quote Reply
Re: Just curious...what would you chose... [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
C-guy, seems like you and I just have to disagree on everything. I only wish that my wife would/could do that 10K run. Then, I would do it with her, drink a beer or two after the race, then go home and...
Quote Reply
Re: Just curious...what would you chose... [tri_bri2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
" I would do it with her, drink a beer or two after the race, then go home and... "

tri_bri2,

I definately like the drinking a beer or two as well as the "and...." part. As for the run, nah. At least not when there's a TT happening.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
for me its simple......I should go for the TT...its more fun ,but on the other hand I need to run more. My club will have a 20k TT tomorrow (wednesday) and its gona bee great.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No brainer for me as well! I'd do the TT, and then go for a run!

--------------
Elivis needs boats.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do the TT. For most of the year you can run a race from 8-10K on any given weekend. However, TT's are generally few and far between (at least for me). Therefore, I would chose the TT for that reason alone.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
let me preface this by saying that i have always been and will always be a runner at heart - and also that i've only owned a bicycle for 3.5 weeks...

i would definitely do the TT, not because I'd have the slightest chance of placing, but because it's a rush to be moving 3 or 4 times as fast on the bike as on foot. road bikes are sexy by nature, especially TT bikes ... why not revel in it?

"you don't get views like this from the basketball court ... or from the car"
Quote Reply
Re: Just curious...what would you chose... [vidaeboa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bikes are not sexy--bikes are cool, women are sexy (especially women in running shorts). You might love your bike and your wife, but only your wife will love you back. TTs will always be there, but your wife might not. Who will be running that 10K behind your wife looking at her in those shorts? Who will be drinking beer with her after the race? When you cheer your wife on to the finish line, you will reap the benefit later. If you're not there, she'll remember that, too. BTW--I may be a newbie at triathlon (3+ years), but not a newbie at marriage (25 years to the same woman.)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No brainer! The TT, even if Normann Stadler invited me to run the 10K. ;-)

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
damn, i think i missed that part about the wife in the original post - apparently, partying all night and then going to work don't agree with me nearly as much as sleeping all night and training during the day.

let me assure you that if i had a girlfriend or wife, i wouldn't just be cheering her on, i wouldn't just be running with her, i'd pick her up and carry her the entire 6.2 miles if she wanted me to. but i go to an engineering school, and there are few women here who appreciate a scrawny kid with slow-twitch tendencies. besides, generally speaking (not always, but generally), girls at engineering schools are the sort that make you look at bikes and think they're sexy.

"you don't get views like this from the basketball court ... or from the car"

http://www.theninjadon.blogspot.com

"The bicycle riders drank much wine, and were burned and browned by the sun. They did not take the race seriously except among themselves." -- Ernest Hemingway, The Sun Also Rises
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love my bike, but life is too short to pass up any opportunities to spend the morning running with my main squeeze.

David
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Easy, do the TT and guilt your wife into joining you. If she really wants to do the 10k, simply tell her that you're fed up with her being so selfish and that you just wish she'd make the occasional compromise to spend some time with you. It might be wise to include some sort of ultimatum to really motivate her. If for some reason she gets angry with you (I can't think of a valid reason) then you can point to her anger as yet another example of her selfishness and unwillingness to compromise. I think you get the idea. Have fun at the TT and have a good weekend!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Seems to me you made the right choice (to each go to their favored event). Might want to meet up half way between afterwards for a picnic or something.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

https://triomultisport.com/
http://www.mjolnircycles.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey there ,

Where is the 20km TT this weekend? I am assuming it is in Ontario somewhere? Can you provide a link?

Thanks

Mark
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wife. Period. (My near death accident experience changed my outlook considerably. Trust me, all that matters when you are taking stock of whether you are bleeding to death or not is family and friends.)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
...between a 20 Km TT or a 10 km run this Sunday.

Just curious what you'd chose.

Both, so its almost a triathlon. Why not some swimming early in the morning also? Our running races are always in the morning and my last time trial was in the late afternoon. So why not doing both?

regards,

Frank

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time like tears in rain.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just a thought here. I know that my running speed has suffered as I train for mostly IM's. I also know that my bike speed has improved because of all of the time I spend on my bike and the butt-whipping handed out by the local roadies on various rides. With this in mind, I'd do the 10k. Work on your least favorite event until it becomes your favorite!

-J
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TT, especially now that I can't run (bruised tailbone). But, if mrs. bunnyman decided (which is VERY unlikely) to go on a 10 K, I would load up on the painkillers just to see if I believed my eyes and ears that she wanted to go on a 10 K. I would also wonder what the ulterior motive was, and what size rock she wanted as a reward.

If I were in your shoes, I would still do the TT, let wifey do the 10 K, and go for lunch after showering.
Quote Reply
Re: Just curious...what would you chose... [TriBriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Wife. Period.
I've got to agree with TriBriGuy, I go with my wife and do the 10k. The real question is what is more important a TT or your wife? I hope the answer is your wife.
Quote Reply
LIAR!!! [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
even if Normann Stadler invited me to run the 10K. ;-)

Yeah, and if Fernanda Keller asked me to run with her I'd say no, too...

LOOK, FLYING PIGS!!!!

¦:o)/

Cousin Elwood - Team Over-the-hill Racing
Brought to you by the good folks at Metamucil and Geritol...
Last edited by: Cousin Elwood: Aug 20, 03 9:31
Quote Reply
Re: Just curious...what would you chose... [burgerdp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why would he have to go to the 10k to 'prove' that his wife is more important? Why does he have to sacrifice something he wants in order to 'show' that he cares? In this age of non-gender specific roles, wouldn't her going to the 10k and not the TT prove that the 10k is more important than he is?
Quote Reply
Re: Just curious...what would you chose... [efernand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Why would he have to go to the 10k to 'prove' that his wife is more important"

Thanks for coming to my defense. I really didn't get that either. We do a lot of things together, but think doing all things together 100% of the time would be detrimental to our relationship. Sometimes it's good to have a break from each other. Makes us appreciate each other a little more.
Quote Reply
Re: LIAR!!! [Cousin Elwood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OK, make it Normann AND George Hincapie and I'll run a marathon. ;-)

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: Just curious...what would you chose... [efernand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All my acquiantances with that philosophy are divorced.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So, your advice to the guy on the Anything for Love TV show from the Bike or Love thread http://www.slowtwitch.com/...ing=tv%20show;#32438 would be to saw his bike in half and subjugate all of his needs to hers, just to stay together.

Maybe if your aquaintances didn't BOTH respect the other enough to find a way for each to do the things they enjoy, then they shouldn't be together. I am not saying that there shouldn't be any give and take in a relationship, but cerveloguy's situation wasn't a choice of doing what she wanted or doing what he wanted, it was a choice of doing both, or him sacrificing just for the sake of sacrificing.
Quote Reply

Prev Next