Prev Next
June Swim Thread
Quote | Reply
Post your swims!

my start to June:
11 mi run 1:42:25
600 m swim to cool off

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: June Swim Thread [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
started the month off right with 4000 yards at 5:30 this am

Best set was 6 x 100's on 1:25 holding 1:12s. It takes me a good 30 minutes to warmup at that hour...
Quote Reply
Re: June Swim Thread [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nice!

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
YAY! Summer and the water is getting.... COLDER! 55 degrees this morning! Still got in a nice swim, though.

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
12 weeks of goose eggs in the swim column by the weekend. On a plus note, I MAY get to 1000km running during those 12 weeks if the rest of the week goes to plan. Open water around here should be bearable next week. So hopefully I can post some workouts in this thread.
Quote Reply
Re: June Swim Thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Our pool just opened yesterday. First swim since March 10th.

I wasn't fast before, now I'm slow again. Lost about 15 secs/100m over that time. Need a lot more practice, as my form was not good - especially after my shoulders got sore. 1,400 meters, slow and somewhat steady. Drank a lot of water :)

A lot of work to be done before Augusta, Sept 27th (hopefully it won't be cancelled).

Not a coach. Not a FOP Tri/swimmer/biker/runner. Barely a MOP AGer.
But I'm learning and making progress.
Quote Reply
Re: June Swim Thread [LEBoyd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
First swim in a pool for a couple of months... 2600pull, LCM as a pyramid. A lot....warmer than the bay.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Monday was my first day off n a pool since early March, and Tuesday was the second. Lakeside Swim Club in Louisville, KY, will not open the “lake” this summer, so no long course swimming. Instead, the smaller outdoor programming pool is open. We had 1 swimmer assigned per lane, after we had to register in advance for a 55 minute swim in the 25yard pool. 55 minutes to give is a chance to get out and leave the area in time for the next group at the top of the hour.

I don’t know my distance for either day, because I just swam moderate speed with short breaks to put on and take off my snorkel. I just know that it felt good to be back. I had very little “feel” for my stroke, and my turns were all garbage, but it was great to be in. On the second day, my shoulders were a bit stiff from the previous day. I started to get some feel back about 20 minutes into my second swim.
Quote Reply
Re: June Swim Thread [140triguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yesterday I rode 57 miles
today 8.5 mi run 1:20:40, then 600m swim

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
7 mi run 64:55, 800m swim (8 x 100 on 1:45)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1.75km in the bay yesterday, 2k today.
Neoprene socks make a massive difference.
Another bay swim (hopefully tomorrow), then a pool swim booked for Sunday.

We have to get up at 6am to book - 20 people max per 45 minute session - it's booking out in under 2 minutes.
Quote Reply
Re: June Swim Thread [NAB777] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had a most excellent ocean swim yesterday. 2 miles, 60-62F water, fairly good clarity. We got some good wide-open ocean time, which is much more interesting than swimming around the pier and up and down the buoy line. There was some texture on the water, otherwise it was just simply excellent. I actually opened the back flap of my wetsuit for the last 20 minutes. The swell coming from WNW was pretty noticeable and my pace against the swell was 2:25; my pace with the swell was 1:40. Toward the end of the swim I got a niggle in my right arm, so I switched up my breathing pattern and it went away. I think I'm lifting my head looking for my mates way too much. I've grown accustomed to swimming solo, I suppose.

There is absolutely no sign of the pool opening any time soon. My usual university pool probably won't open until fall quarter (end of Sept), assuming the kids come back for fall. The City pool is just closed. The gym I don't go too seems to still be closed. Fortunately, our biggest pools (ocean & lakes) are still open.

I've really struggled to get the distance that I did when I did more pool swimming. My total time in the water is the same, my distance is traveled is 20-25% less. Currents and winds are a real thing. They certainly slow me down. Plus, I'm not doing any intervals or structure. I'm just plodding along and sprinting slowly through the currents.

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Your trip is short. Make the most of it.
https://www.slogoing.net/
Quote Reply
Re: June Swim Thread [SLOgoing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
my university pool won't be open this summer (indoor or outdoor). I feel VERY fortunate to have the Y pool.
I like the duck in your video.

7 mi run 1:04:49, 1200m swim (10 x 100 on 1:45, 100 kick, 100 easy)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SLOgoing wrote:
I had a most excellent ocean swim yesterday. 2 miles, 60-62F water, fairly good clarity. We got some good wide-open ocean time, which is much more interesting than swimming around the pier and up and down the buoy line. There was some texture on the water, otherwise it was just simply excellent. I actually opened the back flap of my wetsuit for the last 20 minutes. The swell coming from WNW was pretty noticeable and my pace against the swell was 2:25; my pace with the swell was 1:40. Toward the end of the swim I got a niggle in my right arm, so I switched up my breathing pattern and it went away. I think I'm lifting my head looking for my mates way too much. I've grown accustomed to swimming solo, I suppose.

There is absolutely no sign of the pool opening any time soon. My usual university pool probably won't open until fall quarter (end of Sept), assuming the kids come back for fall. The City pool is just closed. The gym I don't go too seems to still be closed. Fortunately, our biggest pools (ocean & lakes) are still open.

I've really struggled to get the distance that I did when I did more pool swimming. My total time in the water is the same, my distance is traveled is 20-25% less. Currents and winds are a real thing. They certainly slow me down. Plus, I'm not doing any intervals or structure. I'm just plodding along and sprinting slowly through the currents.

Nice work. We're down to 12.5C/~54F over here, but some pools have just opened, with very limited sessions. As a result, I am going to try to swim in the bay at least once a week, right through winter. This means coping with 10.5C/51F at its coldest.

I have a section near where I live which is roughly 280m in between rocks. I can swim these lengths anywhere between 4.10 & 5.15, depending on the wind...:)
Quote Reply
Re: June Swim Thread [NAB777] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Conditions have been really good here on the FL Gulf Coast (St Pete) Water temps in the low 80's (f) calm and clean. I have the local Y pool available now but OWS is always more fun. Since it's still early in the season just doing 1-2 miles at a steady tempo suits me fine, I also have a fixed distance loop I can do with some repeatability - then I can monitor my progress.

Today was 2600 yards round trip up and back at about a 1:47 pace. I'd like to think I can get that down to 1:40 with some dedication (and pool work).

"They know f_ck-all over at Slowtwitch"
- Lionel Sanders
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dr. Tigerchik wrote:
I like the duck in your video.

If you are going to tow a float, it MUST have a bathtub duck (to tell us the temperature). Damn thing photo bombs everything.

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
8.3 mi run, 1k straight swim

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Swimming at Folsom Lake. Nice mid-70° water, but the 15-20 mph winds made for the choppiest swim I’ve done. Followed buoy line both directions, but kinda curved, so had every angle to the chop possible. 3440 yards in just under an hour.

Quote Reply
Re: June Swim Thread [HalfSpeed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pool swim today.
3000LCM all pull, as 300/400/500/500/400/300/250/200/100/50

Most enjoyable, & not cold.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It was a day for choppy waters...

Mid-morning swim in San Luis Bay for 2 miles and it was very, very wind whipped and choppy. The chop came straight at us for 45 minutes of the swim and then we almost swam to Hawaii. We were swimming at a near 90 degree angle to the shoreline and still going parallel to shore. Very surgy and strong push. The swell was breaking over the breakwater. I thought I was going to over shoot the pier but managed to swing in just south of it before heading to shore. I ended up with a nice wet suit rash at my hairline from picking up my head to orient over 8-10 strokes. Most certainly my slowest pace ever. 75 minutes for 2 miles.

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Much better conditions at Folsom. Water is a touch cooler but nowhere near wetsuit territory – 72°ish. No wind, so 4 back and forth laps along the buoy line for 4,000 yards. Could have easily done more, but GF Heidi, who has negative percent body fat, I think, started shivering.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Three swims this week, I am so slow! Today we went up to Bartlett for some OWS. A lot of lake traffic but this time we got there early. Water is pretty high, to the point that Rattlesnake Cove almost doesn't have a beach. Got 900 yds in, there's normally a bouy that sits on top of a rock outcropping that we swim to first before swimming the buoy line, but the water was so high you couldn't touch the rocks! Swam back and just as choppy ugh.

I did the whole put your put your watch on your swim buoy thing that DC Rainmaker does and it didn't work. Fenix 5x recorded me having swum ZERO yards! :(

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: June Swim Thread [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Another 1.6k in the bay today. Beautiful conditions...apart from the temperature..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I swam in Lake San Antonio on Sunday (home of RIP Wildflower). It was an amazingly warm and beautiful 72F in the water and I went sans wetsuit. I lose the wetsuit at around 62F, though my normal water temp in the ocean is mid-50s, so I'm accustomed to cold water. The wind was whipping today and there were white caps on the water. Regardless, swimming in a white capped lake was a whole lot easier than swimming in the ocean. My pace was 20s/100 faster and it was great to swim with just a cap and goggles. So much easier than donning a wetsuit and dealing with all that.

I think I'm going to go back in about 6 weeks and swim the length of Lake San Antonio. It should be around 6 miles. That is a good swim goal. I'll see if I can work out logistics with a support boat and kayak.

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yesterday 100k bike
today 7.1 mi run, 1k swim (straight)

Quote Reply

Prev Next