Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
June Points Challenge: Steve Larsen Memorial Ironman Lake Placid Virtual Training Camp
Quote | Reply
June has rolled around and many of you are preparing for IMLP. Sadly, we are dedicating a virtual training camp this month to Steve Larsen, who left us far to young. In 2001, Steve was training during the month of June for his breakout race at Ironman Lake Placid. It is now 8 years later. Many of you are training for the same race, or other Ironmans in Germany, Roth, Switzerland or Penticton.

Steve leaves, his loving wife and 5 children behind who supported him through all his athletic exploits that we were so entertained by. As a tribute to Steve, go train hard in all your triathlon sports and get ready for your PB race.

At the same time, we request those participating in the camp make a voluntary donation to Steve's foundation, which you can access here: http://www.rememberstevelarsen.com/.

Collectively, we can make a difference to the lives of the children he left behind.

This training camp runs from June 1 to June 30th inclusive. Any workouts you have already done can be logged on the slotwitch on line training log and will be pulled into the challenge.

Your training is converted by Dan Empfield's points system:
  • 100 m swim = 1 point
  • 1 mile bike = 1 point
  • 1 mile run = 4 points

Platinum club 2000 pts, Gold 1600, Silver 1200, Bronze 800.

The first time I saw Steve racing was IMLP 2001 loop 1. I was somewhere on my first loop. Steve blew by me and danced up the hills by the ski jumps in his blue Saucony's. He was at this point running the furthest he had ever done in his life and making it look easy on loop 2. A few months later he blew the doors off the rest of the pro field in Kona and pulled into T2 with a massive 13 minute lead on the likes of Normann Stadler, Tim deBoom, Thomas Hellriegel and others all past and future (at the time) Ironman Champions.

Anyway, go train this month for your PB race, but collectively we can also make a difference!

I'd like to thank Steve's wife Carrie and the rest of the family for giving this the go ahead and allowing us to run this thing in his name.

sincerely

Dev
Last edited by: devashish_paul: Jun 4, 09 7:52
Quote Reply
Re: June: Steve Larsen Memorial Ironman Lake Placid Virtual Training Camp [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Very cool. OK, I'm in.

Figger that the next few days will give even a sandbagging poser like me a decent chance to rack up some points.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Re: June: Steve Larsen Memorial Ironman Lake Placid Virtual Training Camp [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You're going to hear me saying "ride like Steve" the next couple of days when we are ACTUALLY in Lake Placid. Anyone who is a parent and a triathlete cannot, "not" sign up for this thing.
Quote Reply
Re: June: Steve Larsen Memorial Ironman Lake Placid Virtual Training Camp [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not the best month for me to rack up points with a taper going into Eagleman, however.......as a father of 4, it is a necessity to be charitable and join in some good ol' point racking competition.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Anyone who is a parent and a triathlete cannot, "not" sign up for this thing.

So true and great idea Dev. I'm in.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in, although June is off to a slow start with a rest week from Sweden. More than the points, however, is the support this community can give to Steve's young family.

2015 American Zofingen Du is May 17.
R.I.P. Chris Gleason
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Couldn't agree more with putting this in Steve's name and memory. I am sure many of will push harder than we thought we could with that in mind.

Did my last quality workout before racing on Sunday, so other than a swim and short ride tomorrow, there won't be many points going into my bucket...

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Elliot | Cycle2Tri.com
Sponsors: SciCon | | Every Man Jack
Quote Reply
Re: June: Steve Larsen Memorial Ironman Lake Placid Virtual Training Camp [prattzc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey, all you dads out there. With father's day in a few weeks and the excuse of this challenge, you should have a good reason to log some points....and support the foundation.

In the mean time, please pass the link to this thread on to your other training friends who do not use Slowtwitch. Even if they don't end up doing the challenge, if they can drop a few $$$ to the foundation, we achieve more than we can just training our asses off (which we'd likely do anyway).

For those of us who are parents, you're already saving for your own kids' education, so this is like your little contribution in that old saying, "It takes an entire village to raise a child". This is your village and there are 5 kids with no dad :-(

Dev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love you guys.

Every time, I think my head is screwed on backwards and my priorities are the inverse of normal humans, I just have to check up what is going on in one of these challenges, to realize, NO, I am actually no where close to being over the top...always a bunch of you guys going longer, harder and faster. I just checked to see who is registered, and found myself down the "results sheet" already (the only time I was leading was when I just set it up and I was the only one in it).

OK, spread the word. Let's get this thing up to 300+ participants.

You don't have to train like a maniac to participate as there are levels for all abilities...main thing is get some donations to the foundation.

For those actually heading to Lake Placid today, the Whiteface Hillclimb starts at 4:15 PM from Mirror Lake Beach....dinner at 7:15 at Nicolas.

thanks

Dev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks Dev...great idea. This will help keep me honest for June. :)
Mark
Quote Reply
Re: June: Steve Larsen Memorial Ironman Lake Placid Virtual Training Camp [M~] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
M~...are we seeing you tonite in LP?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I sooooo was hoping but it isn't going to happen. I will have to wait yet another year to come back and redeem my last Epic failure. ;)
Although I do have an Epic workout scheduled for tomorrow. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
OK, spread the word. Let's get this thing up to 300+ participants.

You don't have to train like a maniac to participate as there are levels for all abilities...main thing is get some donations to the foundation.
Well, since the bike challenge caught me in a mini taper and post race funk period, I didn't log anything. I'm in for this. Excellent idea, dev.

John

Top notch coaching: Francois and Accelerate3 | Follow on Twitter: LifetimeAthlete |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Anyone who is a parent and a triathlete cannot, "not" sign up for this thing.
Crap ... and I thought my wife could give a guilt trip. Though this is one guilt trip that is right on the money. Looks like my plan to coast through June and July en route to a stellar performance at LP was just a pipe dream.

"The right to party is a battle we have fought, but we'll surrender and go Amish... NOT!" -Wayne Campbell
Quote Reply
Re: June Points Challenge: Steve Larsen Memorial Ironman Lake Placid Virtual Training Camp [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In for Amalia, Massi, Gunnar, Matteo and Marco. Points won't be high, but frequency and intensity will be. And nearly all of it on the bike.

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: June Points Challenge: Steve Larsen Memorial Ironman Lake Placid Virtual Training Camp [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll sign up for this one.

I have IMLP next month, so June is very important. Volume will be some what curtailed by Mooseman and Tupper Lake, but it should exceed 2,000 pts.

I'm pledging 10 cents a point, or 20 cents if I miss 2,000. You employed fat cats should be able to sweeten that a bit.

Let's see, a half IM should add up to 19 + 56 + 52.4 = 127.4 pts; x 2 = 254.8.
Only 1745 to go.

Behold the turtle! He makes progess only when he sticks his neck out. (James Bryant Conant)
GET OFF THE F*%KING WALL!!!!!!! (Doug Stern)
Brevity is the soul of wit. (William Shakespeare)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OK I have signed up, but with 2 taper weeks this month, the total points will not be that impressive.
Quote Reply
Re: June Points Challenge: Steve Larsen Memorial Ironman Lake Placid Virtual Training Camp [Scott_B] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
OK I have signed up, but with 2 taper weeks this month, the total points will not be that impressive.
Taper, what's that? ;)

I'm "tapering" for Rockman on Sunday right now. :)

--
I ride Felt.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
it's a nice idea and obviously a great cause. In for some small points, but I'll honor Steve more by spending more time with my little girl.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dev:

I signed up today. And although I had a crash last week that damaged my rotator cuff and seriously impacted my training for IMC and participation in Boise 70.3 next week, and hence my mileage for June will probably suck, I am in for this awesome tribute to SL. My numbers maybe low, but my heart thinks of this tragedy daily.

I got to watch Steve blow everyone away in 2001 at LP after a nasty cold forced me off the course half way though the bike. Furthermore, Steve lived in Bend, which is my second home on this planet, and I have many friends who knew and trained with him, so I know his death impacted them greatly. I hope the organizers of the Pacific Crest half in Bend do something to recognize his passing at the race this year. Steve did it a few times, and of course, slayed all.

Thanks for getting it going.

And have a great Epic Camp this weekend. I am so jealous you are riding the beautiful IMLP bike course, my favorite one in the world.
Quote Reply
Re: June Points Challenge: Steve Larsen Memorial Ironman Lake Placid Virtual Training Camp [Tri Poseur] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
it's a nice idea and obviously a great cause. In for some small points, but I'll honor Steve more by spending more time with my little girl.

I think he would like that.

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: June Points Challenge: Steve Larsen Memorial Ironman Lake Placid Virtual Training Camp [sto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey, a whole whack of us are in Placid now to "ride like Steve". Today there were around 10 of us that climbed Whiteface.....Chris G, Murphy's Law, some Endurnance Nation studs like Rich and Patrick (with Rich cursing his 39x23 gearing combo) and a few others from Ottawa. Murphy's Law takes off at a steady 300W from the stop sign at the bottom and hauls my butt around. I was on the redline from the 10th pedal stroke, but with 4 shortcourse races in May, I was used to the feeling. ML's back locked up at the toll gate (3 miles). Since I have no powermeter, my only gauges for effort were gearing, and speed. I was either in my 34x25 spinning/cranking at 70-80 RPM or in the 34x21 out of the saddle on the steeper grades. I tried to keep my speed above 13 kph at all times and whenever possible at 14 kph which I figured would bring it in at 55 minutes. We had a perfect day and I had Larsen jets on my feet and shaved 2.5 minutes off my previous best to get a 54.44. Despite a locked up back, ML still comes through in 58.....and self proclaimed "fat guy" Chris G in at 1:00.23....if he did not have an electronics malfunction and think he was at 1:10, he may have just sprinted in.

Anyway, that was a very very very painful way to get 42 miles or 42 points in this challenge, but it was all fun.

Keep signing up guys and go over to the the Larsen foundation page and make a donation! OK, that's it for tonite....more updates from Lake Placid tomorrow...we're doing the swim, the bike course and one loop of the run course (well, actually the others guys are runninng 1 run loop, I'm just doing a short 6 K T-run as I need to break my 10 year streak of doing Epicman every year) :-)

thanks

Dev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great idea to dedicate this month in honour of Steve Larsen,I'm in.

My main race for the year is not until Dec so I have heaps of time to go before I need to get too specific in my training.As an experiment I am going to try and see how much I can tolerate before I have a meltdown.A lot of the Ultra-dudes I've known over the years have put in some huge training months as prep for events and Karno's stupidly long running vacation last week got me all inspired.

I should make 35hrs this week easily!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The ONLY good thing about climbing W'face is that it makes the dreaded ride back into town feel like a hot knife slicing through warm butter. At least you guys aren't doing any hard riding today .... oh, wait .... that whole Epicman thing.

"The right to party is a battle we have fought, but we'll surrender and go Amish... NOT!" -Wayne Campbell
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great idea. So once again you're getting me off my lazy butt (which is somewhat larger than it used to be). I haven't been training much and was considering not racing any tris this year (my last in 55-59) in order to save myself for next year when I'll be the new kid on the 60-64 block. So tomorrow I'm going to man up and start running again by doing the Mt Diablo 25K trail run. I was gonna do the 8K option, but there's an ST challenge goin' on!! There should be bonus points for trail running, btw.
I had a small scare of my own three weeks ago, but it turned out to be something weird, like an electrolyte imbalance or something. Whatever it was, the doctors couldn't identify it. My BP hit 193/125 and I was dizzy and couldn't catch my breath. After six hours in the ER, they finally booted me saying I should follow up with my doctor, but they were calling it a panic attack. I wouldn't have worried about it except that my brother had a stent put in his heart two years ago, and his problem really came out of nowhere.
So Sunday I went out with some friends and did an absolute hammer workout, hitting zone 5b on three different climbs. That didn't kill me, so I feel confident it isn't a heart problem...
Now as to Steve, his death really shook me up. It's not like we were buds or anything, but I met him. I remember seeing my dream bike (Lotus) at the San Jose International (I think it was '02). I was drooling over it and talking to one of the guys standing nearby. I said "This guy must be nuts, he's running 56/44 with an 11-21 cassette, that's crazy. I mean it's a flat and fast course with one hill, but that hill is nothing any sane man would tackle with 44/21 as your lowest gear." From behind me comes a voice saying, "yeah, but the downhill speed is worth it." It was Steve. We joked about it for a few minutes and then he went out and logged the fastest bike split of the day... And I went home and bought a 56 chainring, because he wouldn't sell me the Lotus.

Cousin Elwood - Team Over-the-hill Racing
Brought to you by the good folks at Metamucil and Geritol...
Quote Reply

Prev Next