Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: June Fish thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thing is, the bike geeks on the forum could easily start a monthly "bike workout" thread, especially with how common powermeters are and ways to normalize that number (e.g. % of FTP).

The runners could do the same thing. That's far more interesting to me than "is a turbo silk cotton 22.5mm faster than a GP4000 S4 hot black chili Supersonic Corsa"

despite the trollish behaviour of certain individuals who I shall not name, I really get a lot out of the "FTP is a load of bunk" threads that regularly pop up, since AC usually pops onto those and provides clarity. So even though I don't own a powermeter (yet), it's good info for when I'm sitting on my turbo in the basement.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Last edited by: JasoninHalifax: Jun 13, 18 5:35
Quote Reply
Re: June Fish thread [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Thing is, the bike geeks on the forum could easily start a monthly "bike workout" thread, especially with how common powermeters are and ways to normalize that number (e.g. % of FTP).

The runners could do the same thing. That's far more interesting to me than "is a turbo silk cotton 22.5mm faster than a GP4000 S4 hot black chili Supersonic Corsa"

despite the trollish behaviour of certain individuals who I shall not name, I really get a lot out of the "FTP is a load of bunk" threads that regularly pop up, since AC usually pops onto those and provides clarity. So even though I don't own a powermeter (yet), it's good info for when I'm sitting on my turbo in the basement.

I am actually cool with the FTP types of threads but they are kind of like benchpress threads in that they favor big guys with big FTP topline no matter how heavy they are. The rowing thread I started has been very educational and I have already learned a lot about that device and the technique to use it. I am also enjoying the indoor rowing because the gear aspect is zero. It's you applying human power to the machine, but the machine performance is totally the same for everyone, just like the water in the pool or the surface of the track is identical for all.

I personally view equipment as a simple means of doing the sport, but not the attraction of the sport (and I am a guy who has 12 bikes at home of different types...TT, road bikex2 (should probably sell one), mountain bike, spin bike, bike on computrainer, commuter bike (plus multiple bikes owned by son and wife). But they are just a means to do the sport, not what is exciting about the sport. I do enjoy working on my bikes or skis mainly because when they work well, you do the sport in a more enjoyable manner vs malfunctioning equipment, but that's it. If there were to be zero bike innovation starting tomorrow, I'd be perfectly fine with that!!!

That's the nice part of swimming. Even in the swim "toys" are only there to try to do the sport better, not some kind of toy materialistic acquisition motivator. Even most of the pros are biking slower than Mark Allen did in Kona on his gear from 1993.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am actually cool with the FTP types of threads but they are kind of like benchpress threads in that they favor big guys with big FTP topline no matter how heavy they are.

That's why I think it would be interesting to see what people are up to as a % of FTP, to remove some of the vanity factor. If swimming had a commonly used metric like that I'd post my workouts like that, since when I put down a pace it doesn't necessarily translate to a workout that someone else can just pick up and go with. I suppose there is CSS, but I don't regularly test that and I don't know how commonly used it is.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
6.6 mi easy run
1325 yd swim

5 x 100 on 1:30
50 kick
3 x 150 on 2:15
50 kick
100 fast 1:12
50 kick
100 fast (probably about the same, LG turned clock off)
25 kick c/d

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
I am actually cool with the FTP types of threads but they are kind of like benchpress threads in that they favor big guys with big FTP topline no matter how heavy they are.

That's why I think it would be interesting to see what people are up to as a % of FTP, to remove some of the vanity factor. If swimming had a commonly used metric like that I'd post my workouts like that, since when I put down a pace it doesn't necessarily translate to a workout that someone else can just pick up and go with. I suppose there is CSS, but I don't regularly test that and I don't know how commonly used it is.

I think across sports, posting workouts as a percent of whatever threshold is good. Not like heart rate is the best indicator, but years ago you would have running and cycling coaches post workouts based on percent of max heart rate. That did take out the vanity factor. As it stands, if you are slow (which I am in the pool), the vanity factor ends up being achieved by doing things in volume no matter how slow. To some degree, I designed the 100/100 rules to take out the speed aspect of running and the distance (mileage), and everyone could "compete" on frequency so it removed any genetic advantage.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not a workout, just want to brag a little.

Swam a 500yd test last night to get an idea of where my fitness was - dropped 19 seconds since April 24th on the same swim. Down to 7:30. Only been swimming a little over a year since returning (30 years later) as an adult, but I'm feeling really good in the water right now. Too bad about the other disciplines...
Quote Reply
Re: June Fish thread [Zachreligious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Zachreligious wrote:

Swam a 500yd test last night to get an idea of where my fitness was - dropped 19 seconds since April 24th on the same swim. Down to 7:30. Only been swimming a little over a year since returning (30 years later) as an adult, but I'm feeling really good in the water right now. Too bad about the other disciplines...

that's fantastic - brag is well deserved...

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Re: June Fish thread [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
First time back in the pool since I started this thread. I was busy getting ready to go do some non-triathlon racing (in a car). Anyway...

My first day back always sucks. So, I just wanted to get wet and do enough to work a little without being too taxing:

WU: 3x100 drills and stuff

MS: 15x50 @ 0:49 (:20s)

CD: 100

Hoping tomorrow feels a little more natural.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Zachreligious wrote:

that's fantastic - brag is well deserved...

Every improvement is a good reason to brag on the fishes thread! The guys and girls on here are really supportive of incremental constant improvements.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just an easy and lazy 1800 today, had a sick day yesterday;

3x(500/100IM kick@2;15) 2 swim@7;45(7;29/7;22) 1 pull@6;45(6;29) kicks-(2;03/1;59;1;56)

1800SCY
Quote Reply
Re: June Fish thread [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here was yesterday's set in between meetings in Toronto. I managed to get out to a city pool near the airport.

400m warmup
1x50 breast (warmup continuation)
1x100 IM (warmup continuation)
1x200IM easy
1x400IM (hard fly and back)
1x400IM hard
1x200 fly hard
1x200 IM easy
1x100 fly hard
1x50 fly hard
1x100 cool down

It cleared my head for the rest of the day! Long day as I was up at 4:30 to catch my flight over and only got done with the last meeting with a potential angel investor who I know from a past like at 10:45 pm.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2.3 mi walk
1650 yd swim

5 x 100 on 1:30, extra :30 after the last one
200 fast on 3:00 (2:34)
100 easy on 1:30
50 kick
200 fast on 3:00 (2:30)
100 easy on 1:30
50 kick
200 fast 2:29
250 c/d kicked some of it

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Re: June Fish thread [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Same as usual:

WU: 3x100 drills

MS: 30x50 @ :49 (:20) failed at 21 and 28

CD: 100 ez

Felt a little better in the water today vs. yesterday. tomorrow is my last day to swim this week, there's a meet at my pool on Saturday. I might do the tether thing in the pool at home instead.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kept the USRPT pace at :49. That felt a little easy so about half-way through the set I dropped it down to :48, I also did several in the :47-46 range towards end of the set.

MS: 24x50 @ :48 (:20) failed at 15, 21 and 24

Its interesting, I guess you can kinda tell by WU / CD pace when things are starting to pay-off. My WU pace was 1:42 and my CD pace was 1:48. Until now they have both been in the mid to upper 1:5x range.
Last edited by: Tom_hampton: Jun 15, 18 6:41
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Kept the USRPT pace at :49. That felt a little easy so about half-way through the set I dropped it down to :48, I also did several in the :47-46 range towards end of the set.

Its interesting, I guess you can kinda tell by WU / CD pace when things are starting to pay-off. My WU pace was 1:42 and my CD pace was 1:48. Until now they have both been in the mid to upper 1:5x range.

nice, always good to see the work pay off. But don't worry if your warmup pace is 'slow' on some days - there are absolutely days I swim some very slow warmups.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
6.6 mi easy run (well, mostly easy, picked it up a bit at the end)
1825 yd swim (what I had time for)

18 x 100 on 1:30, dropped from 1:25s to 1:15s
25 kick c/d

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:

Congrats on the progress! USRPT is some good stuff, especially if you're trying to build speed on a limited training time budget.

Did the USMS Open Water Sprint (1 mile) race last weekend in Carbondale, IL. It was a disappointingly small turn out; less than 60 folks total, and just 5 in my age group. I tried to hang on the feet of the favorite from my age group, but he dropped me early on the 1/2 mile back straight. I had followed him a little wide of the most direct line, so I was kind of hung out there alone with no draft partners for almost half the race distance. At the 3/4 mile turn buoy, I merged into the back of a group of about 10 that I'd been ahead of at the 1/4 mile buoy. I got around ~1/2 of them down the stretch, finishing in 25:04; about 1/2 minute slower than I'd expected, but still good for second in my age group. I undoubtedly left a little time on the table by pursuing a failed "tactical dual" strategy, but it didn't cost me any places in age group, so it was worth trying. I have definitely been concentrating on running and biking more than swimming since USMS Spring Nationals, and didn't rest much for this race other than to rearrange my training calendar for the week to front-load the harder workouts, so I can't be too disappointed to go ~5 seconds/100 better than my previous best open water race pace. Still, I feel like I could be faster with more OW experience.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2.3 mi w/u
5k race 24:11, 5th FOV
5k c/d
1325 yd swim

400 wu
50 kick
5 x 100 on 1:30
50 kick
3 x 100 as 25 stroke, 25 free, 50 kick
25 kick c/d

Quote Reply
Re: June Fish thread [gary p] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gary p wrote:
Tom_hampton wrote:

Congrats on the progress! USRPT is some good stuff, especially if you're trying to build speed on a limited training time budget.

Did the USMS Open Water Sprint (1 mile) race last weekend in Carbondale, IL. It was a disappointingly small turn out; less than 60 folks total, and just 5 in my age group. I tried to hang on the feet of the favorite from my age group, but he dropped me early on the 1/2 mile back straight. I had followed him a little wide of the most direct line, so I was kind of hung out there alone with no draft partners for almost half the race distance. At the 3/4 mile turn buoy, I merged into the back of a group of about 10 that I'd been ahead of at the 1/4 mile buoy. I got around ~1/2 of them down the stretch, finishing in 25:04; about 1/2 minute slower than I'd expected, but still good for second in my age group. I undoubtedly left a little time on the table by pursuing a failed "tactical dual" strategy, but it didn't cost me any places in age group, so it was worth trying. I have definitely been concentrating on running and biking more than swimming since USMS Spring Nationals, and didn't rest much for this race other than to rearrange my training calendar for the week to front-load the harder workouts, so I can't be too disappointed to go ~5 seconds/100 better than my previous best open water race pace. Still, I feel like I could be faster with more OW experience.

Gary congrats on second place. I assume these things are no wetsuit?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
4x12oz.

It's Father's day weekend. I raised 3 girls.
The youngest is now 27.

Today I Floated in the pool, drank some cheap beer, and smoke the best ribs I've ever had (not my recipe).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Gary congrats on second place. I assume these things are no wetsuit?

Yes, no wetsuit. "Category I" swimwear, only.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Warmup:
300S
2x75B-3

Main Set: Pyramid w/o
8x50 (odds w/paddles)
4x100
2x200
1x400
1x400
2x200
4x100
8x50 (odds w/paddles) Tried to go faster down the ladder than up, but alas that was not to be...

3x100K
4x25 UDK w/monofin
4x50 (25 scull, 25 free)

150 warmdown.

4400SCY
Last edited by: scooter23: Jun 17, 18 14:20
Quote Reply
Re: June Fish thread [scooter23] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Today's main set

8x50 legs only IM sequence
1x200 IM
1x400 IM
1x200 fly
1x200 free
1x200 IM
1x100 breast
1x200 fly
1x100 fly
2x100 legs only IM
4x25m underwater dolphin kick, two without fins, 2 with fins...lots of rest in between
Last edited by: devashish_paul: Jun 17, 18 14:11
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:

OK OK....time to join the 20K per week club.....it's just 3K per day!!!! 3.3K per day gets you into the 100K per month rate (not that I calculated this out or anything, but i have two 1200 km years in a row on the daily routine....just don't miss days in the water...you want to feel like you are a beached dolphin on days that the pool is closed waiting for high tide to wash you back in).

Dev

Well last week wasn't going to happen, I was at a seminar for 2 days then at a wedding in the middle of nowhere for another 2 days, so I only swam twice.

I used my rest as a chance to do a time trial today. I did 800m in 12:58. I did 800m in 13:31 five weeks ago so I am pretty happy with that!

400m in
3x300m flippers 25 kick/25 swim
800m TT
100m easy
5x100 snorkel and pull
5x100m paddles and pull
300m swim easy
100m out
3500m

I have a sprint on Sunday so won't manage 20k this week. Next week I'll go for it :)
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Anna s [ In reply to ]
Last edited by: Anna s: Jun 19, 18 2:36

Prev Next