Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
June Fish Thread
Quote | Reply
I can't swim right now but you can. Go play wall tag and remember that pain is a privilege.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: June Fish Thread [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Swam today - felt worse than I did 2 weeks ago.
100 S
200 K
300 scull/pull w/snork&buoy
400 Swim
4x125 pad/buoy desc 1-4
4x100 IM desc 1-4
300 scull pull snork&buoy
4x50 drill/swim
4x25 3/2/1/0 breaths
--
2500 y

Scrapped my plans for more descending after the 100's IM because I felt so bad, spent the rest of the time trying to find my stroke and some flow in the water. Outdoor masters starts the 14th, trying to have some aquatic fitness and water feel before then.

I wrote this, you should read it:
https://www.slowtwitch.com/...n_Swimming_6700.html
Quote Reply
Re: June Fish Thread [tallswimmer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm afraid to ask what your horrible out of shape set of 4x100IM's was, because you know it will just make me feel bad...(-;

10th day in a row in the water for me, might be some kind of recent record. Feel tired getting in and warming up, but once there, things loosen up and feel ok. Tried to get some good fly in, still cannot relax a 100:

20x100 as- 5swim@1;40(1;28/26/24/21/18)5-IM kick@2;00(1;56 to 1;49)5fly@2;10(1;33/32/31/30/26)5-IM kick@2;10(1;54 to 1;49)
500pull@7;00(6;13)
3x(2x50buoy@;50/1;10/50fly@1;30) buoys(37/38's) fly's(36.9/36/35)
150pull(1;44)
3100SCY in 59 minutes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hope I can do my channel qualification in the coming week.
Quote Reply
Re: June Fish Thread [miklcct] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I hope I can do my channel qualification in the coming week.

That would be cool! I hope you're able to.

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Re: June Fish Thread [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BACK AT IT... (kind of)

Speed set today was 75s -- we had not done them in a while and never as a stand alone set.

So it was:
20 x 75 on 1:30 done as 4 rounds of 2 easy 3 sprint max

my buddy eric was at 40 then held 39s the rest of the day. He is a machine.

I managed 46s on round 1 -- body started to loosen up
I held 45s on round 2 -- feeling better but no reserves to dip into
I managed 45s on round 3 -- perhaps a 44 in there with the delay looking at the clock
Then the last round I managed 44s. (we did 3 easy and 2 fast on the last round)

Then a 300 easy

6x 25 max kick w board.... I admittedly only went about 90% for fear of massive leg cramps just coming out of nowhere.

** side note is that on tuesday I rode 254 miles up to vermont and back...so I am ... just a touch tired hahaha!!

Oly Trials Wave 1 (I think) starts today...

daved

http://www.theundergroundcoach.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had adjust my schedule around meetings today, so I went in the morning. Unfortunately, that was short course yards:
1000 free with 100 kick no board as warmup
500 snorkel as 300 free + 200 free with buoy
10 x 50 @ :50, “race pace.” I wanted to see where I was after 5 weeks out and three days of bling course over the past weekend. Held mostly :32-33.
500 with snorkel and paddles
200 as 25 breaststroke 25 free
4 x 25 “sprint” or what passes as sprint for a 49 year-old guy who has always been a distance athlete
200 warm-down

3000y outdoors under overcast skies
Quote Reply
Re: June Fish Thread [140triguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Living in Washington State i finally got out on lake yesterday for a 2 mile swim.
Quote Reply
Re: June Fish Thread [daved] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good to see you back Dave, you got a great base now so hold onto it. Those were not bad at all 75's considering your ultra riding before, you are still front pack material!!

Day 11 in a row for me, hot pool and 103 outside, so doing my best. Did manage to get a 1k PR today for just buoy, and that felt pretty good and descended nicely:

5x100s@1;40(1;28 to 1;19)
1000 tt buoy@14;00(13;20--6;47/6;33)
5x100IM kick@2;00(1;55/54/53/52/50)
5x50 breast@1;00(44/43/42/42/41)
5x100p@1;30(1;15/14/13/12/07)
10x25@;40-fly/back--fly(16/17's)back(18/19's)
4x100p@1;30(1;12/11/10/08)
3400SCY in 60 minutes

Starting to feel a tiny bit better about my 1000 I entered, just need a few more good training swims near that 13 minute mark...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks Monty and NICE WORK on that 1k TT! Those are indeed great splits.

Today felt like unfolding a rusty lawn chair for the first part of warm up and the early quick stuff we do.

Then it started to feel more normal.
Certainly lacking pep at the moment but a nice nap today helped and quite a nice bottle of red open currently. So.. there is that.

Keep up the great swimming. Im jealous of your pool time but with things easing here I should be able to get to my outdoor pool more and more easily and maybe some masters work soon. Would be fun.

My private pool (ha) was not available this week as the fam was traveling so sadly, I only had the one pool swim and no nanny tomorrow means Im full time on the homefront. Cant complain and wouldnt wont. Doing a very popular east coast ride sat called Vermont 6 Gaps...
130miles 11k of climbing (I think)..so this red wine better start working its magic... only kidding.

Already signed up for next thursday so... def more to come!

daved

http://www.theundergroundcoach.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice work.

Back in today, felt way better than 2 days ago, had to cut it a bit short though for an appointment.

WU-300 swim/200 kick/ 100 scull/swim w/ snork
Main
3x[200 smooth pull, 2x100 swim neg split, 4x50 descend]
rd 1 free descend to 29, rd 2 back desc to 30, 3 free desc to 28

100 ez kick

2500scy 45 minutes.

Got roped into being the swim leg on an Oly Distance relay in 3 weeks. Going to see how often I can swim between now and then!

I wrote this, you should read it:
https://www.slowtwitch.com/...n_Swimming_6700.html
Last edited by: tallswimmer: Jun 4, 21 6:32
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yesterday:

300 easy
8x50 drill
500 pull, paddles and buoy
5x100 cruise
500 pull, paddles and ankle band
5x100 cruise

2700scy

+ 30 minutes strength session

today:

300 easy
8x50 drill
4x50 as 25 sprint/ 25 easy
5x100 IM cruise on 1:40 (1:15ish)
5x100 fast + descend on 1:30 (00.0, 59.4, 58.8, 58.8, 58.1)
2x50 easy
1000 pull threshold effort (10:56)
4x50 easy

3200scy

+35 minutes of running sometime this afternoon

-----
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Got roped into being the swim leg on an Oly Distance relay in 3 weeks. Going to see how often I can swim between now and then! //

Relays are the bomb, especially when you are the swimmer. You will get to hand off first place to your teammates, then sit back and watch it all unfold. You get to scream and yell for them, and no matter what happens, you were I 1st when you were done!! Even though you are just getting back, you know the improvement curve swimming a lot of days between now and the race is huge. I imagine it is no wetsuit?? Have fun and good luck. Get your 200 speed where you can shake any cling ons and then settle in..

Adding on to my pile of days, 100+ outside again, but only 84 inside, I can deal with that. Was planning a recovery type swim, but got sucked into something a bit harder:

9x300 as-3 swim@5;00 easy descend(4;25/4;16/4;06)IM kick@6;30(5;44)pull@4;30(3;44)swim@1k race pace(3;54)2-pull@4;30(3;42/3;39)IM kick(5;49)
10x50@1;10, odds fly controlled/evens recovery buoy( buoys-36/38's) fly's(39/38/38/37/37) 100IM kick(1;56)
3300SCY in 60 minutes

Still searching for an easy fly stroke, but it is just not there. If I go too slow, stroke falls apart, and when I just glide, it sucks me to sub 40's every single time. I really need a 40 that is smooth and easy, it is my unicorn I suppose...
Last edited by: monty: Jun 4, 21 13:58
Quote Reply
Re: June Fish Thread [daved] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I"ve been in and out of open water around 6 times in the last 3 weeks. It seems every time I go, the wind is high, the waves are huge, the kite surfers are out, the jet skiers are out and the entire thing feels like running on a gnarly trail with cliffs and 100 ft drops that you could die from with a misstep versus heading to track to just crank out intervals and work on your form and run fast. I am putting up with some of these crappy condition swims just for some form of swimming versus none at all. Our outdoor pools are supposed to open up in 10 days. Then it will be like going to run at the track where the conditions are constant.

I've done my fair share of open water swimming in rough stuff because I had to as a triathlete. I do well relative to my age group peers the crappier the open water conditions get, however, that does not mean that I love it (I actually enjoy it on triathlon race day, because it gives me a bit of an advantage, but for day in day out swimming, I can't wait to get back in a proper pool). We barely got 5 weeks of open pools this year so far. But at least I have open water now.
Quote Reply
Re: June Fish Thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
After last Friday I took a 4 day holiday. Back in on Wednesday and boy was I slow. Did a couple 200 Ims and couldn’t break 3:00. Thursday I did 8 100s as 50 drill/swim and then 2 25s all out. Hit 14/15 on fly and free so I got a little bit of speed. Today I did 4x 100ez/75fast free all on 2:00. Went 48 46 47 47 those time are respectable for me. Sat will be distance maybe 4K and Sunday another speed set I’m thinking maybe some 100s pulling.

Also using my treadmill a couple times 2 or 2.5 miles around 30 minutes. Running is like trying swim breaststroke for me
Quote Reply
Re: June Fish Thread [Abergili] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
June 1: (400m+200m+100m+50m+25m)WU + 200m in 3:19 + (25m+50m+100m+200m+400m)CD. Planned a 3:04 attempt, but fatigue dictated a tempo effort instead.
June 2: (400m+200m+100m+50m+25m)WU + 25m in 16.5sec + (25m+50m+100m+200m+400m)CD. A weekly 25m day is fun.
June 3: 800m+800m in 14:56/14:35. Easy swimming. I wanted to try my first ever continuous 1600m with flipturns, but I'm not ready for that just yet.
June 4: (400m+200m+100m+50m+25m+25m)WU + 50m in 33.5sec!!! + (200m+200m+400m)CD. I was allowed to dive-in for the 50m trial. A massive PR. :)

This ended week#4 of flipturn school. I'm getting better, gradually, but longer distances still present a challenge, even at an easy pace. I'm thrilled with the 33.5sec dive-in 50m. The turn wasn't great, so I think I can do 32.? on another day.

I only swim.
I used to run. (31:09 10k)
I never did Triathlon.
Sue me.
Last edited by: Skuj: Jun 5, 21 12:03
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dr. Tigerchik wrote:
I can't swim right now but you can. Go play wall tag and remember that pain is a privilege.

DAMMIT. I was hoping you could swim at least. Sport is a BITCH sometimes.

I only swim.
I never did Triathlon.
Sue me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i've never posted in one of these threads and have never been much of a fish.

i was a swim team kid, growing up, but never a particularly good pool swimmer. but i was also a beach lifeguard, and a surfer, and i navigate and feel the water pretty well. i'd say i've got a fairly strong stroke but a slowish one, and i sink like a rock. when i got my first wetsuit, though, a lightbulb went off in my head! so overall i'd say i underperform in the pool and overperform in open water.

after a long bloody time out of the pool, things have opened up here and i'm finally able to get in the water. my first swim back, two weeks ago, was sort of crap - rushed for time, expensive, and sharing a pool with a bunch of weird 'denizens' to head-up breast stroke, synchro swimming, and so on. and yet - yet! - it felt magic.

i've also managed to jump into the outdoor pool once last week. it was still barely 18 degrees, and after a little over 1000m i had to get out.

but finally, a few nights ago i managed to sneak out after the kids were asleep, and get in a quick late-night session at the local 25m indoor pool.

350 warmup as 50 float/100 kick/100 pull/100 swim
3x200 tempo w/paddles
2x100 tempo pull
4x50 sprint free
100 cool down

it's barely 1000m. and my times in the sprints were depressing. but dammit, the tempo sets still sort of felt OK, and my stroke felt like it was coming together again.

let's never take swimming for granted again!

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Re: June Fish Thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
I"ve been in and out of open water around 6 times in the last 3 weeks. It seems every time I go, the wind is high, the waves are huge, the kite surfers are out, the jet skiers are out and the entire thing feels like running on a gnarly trail with cliffs and 100 ft drops that you could die from with a misstep versus heading to track to just crank out intervals and work on your form and run fast. I am putting up with some of these crappy condition swims just for some form of swimming versus none at all. Our outdoor pools are supposed to open up in 10 days. Then it will be like going to run at the track where the conditions are constant.

I've done my fair share of open water swimming in rough stuff because I had to as a triathlete. I do well relative to my age group peers the crappier the open water conditions get, however, that does not mean that I love it (I actually enjoy it on triathlon race day, because it gives me a bit of an advantage, but for day in day out swimming, I can't wait to get back in a proper pool). We barely got 5 weeks of open pools this year so far. But at least I have open water now.

Last month it was like that here in Bournemouth and it was horrible that I couldn't swim for more than 1-2 hours in such condition (consistently windy and rainy with 11-12°C water temperature), but since the bank holiday weekend, weather has improved and it's now consistently sunny with some calm days.

I have done my 6-hour qualifier today. Air temperature was 14-18°C, water temperature was about 14-14.5°C, condition was calm at the start building up to near BF 3 at the end.

However, my body was not prepared and I felt crap afterwards. My current endurance level is only 3-4 hours, down from 5-6 in winter before moving to the UK, probably because I couldn't swim a lot during the last month when it was cold and windy. (I'm a weak swimmer who don't last long when put in cold windy sea). I swam more than 2.5 km in my first hour but probably only 1.6 km in the last hour, with the wind and current built up. My feeling is much like my 16 km swim last December.

For pool swimming, here the options are limited. I have found two 25 m indoor pools with good transport connection near my home (10 minutes by express bus for one, 10 minutes by train for another one). However, as COVID restrictions are not fully lifted yet, they are still operating 50-minute slots which are seldom available. The local triathlon club here has moved to sea swimming so I think I should join them!
Quote Reply
Re: June Fish Thread [Skuj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dr. Tigerchik wrote:
Quote:

You're sweet. Thanks. The good news is I think the bone stimulator is working and I hope to be back in the pool on 6/17.

day 8 of rest here :-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dr. Tigerchik wrote:
Dr. Tigerchik wrote:
Quote:

You're sweet. Thanks. The good news is I think the bone stimulator is working and I hope to be back in the pool on 6/17.

day 8 of rest here :-)

When you say "rest", do you mean, like, zero dry-land stroke training with bands or weights, or associated abwork? :)

I only swim.
I never did Triathlon.
Sue me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
When you say "rest", do you mean, like, zero dry-land stroke training with bands or weights, or associated abwork? :)

Saturday may 29: absolutely complete rest
Sunday may 30: supervised my cousin swimming laps and found a couple seconds per 100 for her. We floated in the warm pool for 15 minutes. I did not get in the lap pool - just the warm pool. I tried my absolute best not to move my foot.
Monday may 31: abs and glute exercises, foam rolled
Tuesday June 1: absolutely complete rest
Wednesday June 2: lat pulldowns, rows, abs and glute exercises, foam rolled
Thursday June 3: absolute complete rest
Friday June 4: abs and glute exercises, foam rolled
today: absolute complete rest

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dr. Tigerchik wrote:
Quote:

Saturday may 29: absolutely complete rest
Sunday may 30: supervised my cousin swimming laps and found a couple seconds per 100 for her. We floated in the warm pool for 15 minutes. I did not get in the lap pool - just the warm pool. I tried my absolute best not to move my foot.
Monday may 31: abs and glute exercises, foam rolled
Tuesday June 1: absolutely complete rest
Wednesday June 2: lat pulldowns, rows, abs and glute exercises, foam rolled
Thursday June 3: absolute complete rest
Friday June 4: abs and glute exercises, foam rolled
today: absolute complete rest

I should have known! :)

I only swim.
I never did Triathlon.
Sue me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So, um, does my 33.5sec 50m dive-in mean that I could be sub30sec 50scy? I know I'm not "a competitive swimmer" but I'd be damned thrilled with a sub30 in the shorter pool.

I only swim.
I never did Triathlon.
Sue me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Subtract about 4 seconds to get your yards time so most likely about 29.5

Went 4300 today and did 35 minutes on the treadmill

Main set was IMs on a 1:45 base:

2 100s
2 100s did the set straight through with no extra break.

Did 1200 yds kicking last 400 I used my dmc fins. 8x 100 kick@2:20, 50 fast kick @ 1:00
Last edited by: Abergili: Jun 5, 21 16:27
Quote Reply

Prev Next