Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
July Swim Thread
Quote | Reply
Up and at 'em

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: July Swim Thread [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
5 mile run this morning, then 5000+ yards in the lake.

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I drove over to Nantasket Beach, MA this morning to join the Crusty Barnacles as they did their Sunday morning ocean swim. It was 19 people of all different ages and capabilities doing anything from 1/2 mile to 3 miles up and down the coast.

My swim was about 1.5 miles in low 60's water with a small sub-group consisting of 3. I'm still fighting the early swim wetsuit induced discomfort (small panic stuff), but it's getting better with each swim. I've got the Providence Half next weekend and will be traveling the following weekend, but I expect to be a regular participant in the Crusty Barnacle swim.

What I do: http://app.strava.com/athletes/345699
Quote Reply
Re: July Swim Thread [Printer86] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
200 sw
100 bk
100 k
3x50 25 fist/25 fast
50 easy

5x100@1:30 ~1:25
10x50@1:00 ~:37
5x50 k@1:10

150 easy mix

2000scy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
my first OWS of the year. Goose Pond near Lee, MA
put the garmin in my bathing cap- so I've got nice data.

3000 yards. 47 min (excluding to stops to check distance and bikini clad sunbathers)
Nice clean water. mid-70's great for swimming. a real pleasure to be out of the pool.

OWS is to Pool Swimming
as
Running outdoors is to running on the treadmills
or
Cycling outdoors is to cycling on the trainer.
Quote Reply
Re: July Swim Thread [morey000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
5.8 mi trail run
2500 yards

2 x [150 s + 50k]
4 x 50 on :55
100 "fast' 1:20
100 easy
4 x 100 on 1:35
50 easy
4 x 200 on 3:10 (2:47, :45, :40, :40)
400 ish c/d

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Finally! Dive meet over and pool reopened for lap swims this AM.
500 in 6:14
5x100 various kicks
500 in 5:54
5x100 s/k cool

2000 sc yardages

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply
Re: July Swim Thread [Printer86] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would join them just so I could say I was a Crusty Barnacle...

Quick dip today:

20min non-stop pool swim w/ alligator eyes and tarzan stroke sprinkled throughout.

Getting psyched for LORD OF THE FLIES this weekend... short bike TT on Fri. Olympic Tri. on Sat. (modified distance) and Sprint Tri on Sunday.

Let's get racing!
Quote Reply
Re: July Swim Thread [HalfSpeed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Man i felt horrible in the water on sat, a little better in yesterdays 2 hour MTB ride. Thankfully today in the pool was better, so going the right direction. I have an xterra race this weekend in seattle, so i'm doing my usual cram run/bike training;

30x100- 10swim@1;30/10kick@2;00/10pull@1;20--1;23 to 1;14s/1;49 to 1;43k/1;16 to 1;13p
200SD
3200SCY
Quote Reply
Re: July Swim Thread [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good luck at Xterra, Monty. I'll be racing at Carlsbad, hoping to repeat last year's win. Hey! That's where we met… and you sold me the T1 wetsuit. Still using that, as ragged as it has become.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
10 mi run w/ 1,2,3,4,3,2,1 min @ 6:40 pace w/ 1 min. recoveries
800 yards or so in the lake

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did 4+ miles running yesterday and my first mile was 6:40 pace. No need to discuss the remaining miles... :/

This AM swim:
4x[100s/50k] w/u continuous
5x100 various kicks
2x[25/50/75/100]@:10RI
500s 6:00
100 k cool

2200 sc yardages

Quote Reply
Re: July Swim Thread [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good luck on your XTerra. I've only done one, but it was one of my favorite all time races. Completely kicked my ass in every way imaginable.

I've decided since I won't be racing at all this year, it's the perfect time to perfect my kick and learn to butterfly. It was ugly and much harder than it should be, but yesterday I was able to dolphin an entire 25 and work in the pull to breathe (with a breast stroke recovery). I'm hoping that learning to actually kick will be what I need to finally get under 1:30 per hundred.

sometimes you just have to eat the cake
Quote Reply
Re: July Swim Thread [VO2Matt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PM - another swim - 1000 yds in the lake

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
spent an hour in the pool working on fly....dolphin kicking 25 yards at a time and slowly trying to figure out the timing for the pull and recovery. I managed to get the hips and legs coordinated perfectly a few times and was surprised at how powerful and awesome it was. I'm sure I looked like a complete goon....It seems like every time I looked up, the guard was watching me.

sometimes you just have to eat the cake
Quote Reply
Re: July Swim Thread [VO2Matt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Warmup: 400 free 200 kick 400 pull
Main set: 10*300 on 445, finishing in 430ish.
Wdn 100 kick, 4x100 pull.
4500lcm
I faded on the 300s-need to work on endurance more.
Quote Reply
Re: July Swim Thread [trexleradam] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Swam this AM...

2000 lcm -- all slow with some dive starts

I leave for Omaha, NE tomorrow.
Quote Reply
Re: July Swim Thread [trexleradam] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
run: 5.5 mi w/ 2 x 10 min tempo (7:19, 7:13) recovery 3 min
swim: 1h26 in the lake, which I think is close to 6000 yards
Good swim but I am quite chilled. I thought I would be ok without a wetsuit, but for the second half I just could not say warm. Brrrrrr.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2548 meters butterfly in 1 hour on Tuesday, (26 meter pool), then 2652 meters fly this morning in same time. Cool to see an extra 104 meters improvement with just a little practice. Stopped at 20 and 40 minutes in for a sip of fuel, taking about 30 seconds each.

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Last edited by: texafornia: Jul 5, 12 6:49
Quote Reply
Re: July Swim Thread [texafornia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow, why all the fly?!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tuesday:
300 easy
4x50 drill
3x400 IM with fins
2x[ 400 build no fins, 2x50 (25 balls-out sprint w/fins, 25 easy) - 45s rest for each]

4x50 drill
100 easy

-----
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tigerchik wrote:
Wow, why all the fly?!

I guess two reasons - 1. It's such a ridiculous and complicated stroke, that mastering it enough to swim it endlessly is a really fun challenge. I strongly feel that whoever invented it was a total idiot, but nailing it does really feel fun. Maybe it's like riding a unicycle? Pointless but fun? And now I'm the idiot for doing it.
2. My buddy is going to try to swim across Lake Tahoe this summer (22 miles), and I'm going with him. I don't have time to train all the freestyle it takes - multiple hour sessions, day after day - so I'm just "cramming" by doing fly. I figure that if I work myself over hard with all this fly, that swimming freestyle will be really easy. We'll see if my theory pans out. If it doesn't, then it's ok - it's his Tahoe swim.

To swim long distance fly, I figured out you have to really slow it down and maximize the glide phase. If you're really patient, you find a turnover rate that is sustainable. I think I'm only taking 8 strokes or so to cross, so that's about the right timing for me. The day after day 1, I was sore in my upper abs/diaphragm and triceps. Surprisingly, the shoulders weren't that sore. I also figured out a few years ago that you can really milk the glide by making sure the arms and hands come together like an arrow after arm entry, putting your head down and squeezing your shoulders together behind your neck. Do that and a light dolphin kick and you can really cruise without too much effort. But, all in all, it's still slow and smooth.

Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's pretty freakin' impressive!
After changing up your fly for distance, have you tried a sprint, like 25 or 50 yards to see what it has done for your speed?

This AM:
500s in 6:05
5x100 various kicks
5x100@1:30 1:10/:09/:04/:07/:03
10x50 fist down/swim back@:50

2000 sc yardages

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HalfSpeed wrote:
That's pretty freakin' impressive!
After changing up your fly for distance, have you tried a sprint, like 25 or 50 yards to see what it has done for your speed?

Not yet. What I'm really wondering is does this kind of training improve freestyle over 2.4 miles. What if it makes you such a beast, it takes 5 minutes off your freestyle time? I'm definitely getting worked over pretty hard from it. It's not freestyle, but it's a lot like it. I can't wait to find out.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did 6,017 yard ocean swim yesterday with 5 other guys to celebrate the 4th. 55 degree water temps. First time ever going that long in OW, super fun! 1:40:15
Quote Reply

Prev Next