1375 yd swim

600 w/u
50 kick
2 x 100 on 1:25
50 kick
2 x [100 fast + 50 kick] 1:14s
100 swim, 25 kick c/d

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: July Fish Thread [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Got too busy to busy to keep up with the June thread, will try hard this month!

7/1
5 mile run, finally getting back into the groove after the 2.5 month layoff.

7/2
2,500 scy, felt like garbage during the warmup and almost called it an early day. Glad I didn't because I hit two good longer intervals without killing myself

w/u
300 easy
200 kick
300 build x 100
m/s
12 x 50 (free, floated, buoy: 1-3/4-6/7-9/10-12)
300 hard (surprisingly went < 4:30 for the first time is a very long time)
6 x 50 25 hard, 25 easy
300 hard (went < 4:30 again, turned out to be a good day for me after all)
w/d
200 (100 back, 100 breast)

ETA: 3 mile easy run at lunch today

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Last edited by: mck414: Jul 2, 18 10:44
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Happy July!
I'm still suffering with sciatica. This is getting old and it's making me feel real old (well beyond my 62 years (ughh!))

Pool this AM, just 2200 as 11x200 alternating pulls, just freestyle, and kicks, all strokes.

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply
Re: July Fish Thread [HalfSpeed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can empathize but I'm only 47! After the disc tear healed up things went further south, literally and figuratively into my SI Joint.

-Nobody
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did a partial USRPT set today. I had an early meeting, so I had a hard stop at 6:45a.

WU: 3x100 drills

MS: 13x50 @:47 (:20) failed at #13 (had to get out of the pool at this point)

CD: 100

Didn't feel great today, again confirming that excess fatigue from cycling/running DOES cross over into my swimming. I did my long ride/brick on Sunday (instead of as planned on Saturday).
Quote Reply
Re: July Fish Thread [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Didn't feel great today, again confirming that excess fatigue from cycling/running DOES cross over into my swimming.

yup, it's real.

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dr. Tigerchik wrote:
Quote:
Didn't feel great today, again confirming that excess fatigue from cycling/running DOES cross over into my swimming.

yup, it's real.

I took a few days off from kick sets because

1. Pool closed on Canada day and I am not doing kick sets in open water
  2. I got a few sharp pains in my crushed arm just doing stupid things like getting my arm over my head after the turns
  3. I can't stop myself from doing more and the doc said to ease back in.....2000m of IM kicking is probably not easing in and if I go to the pool, I will just do more
  4. Scabs started falling out around the stitches but exposed some raw meat, so I want those to dry up

Hopefully back in the pool tomorrow after a 3 day hiatus and then back in permanently. I think I will be able to swim breast stroke in a week. The other strokes will take longer.
Quote Reply
Re: July Fish Thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
much harder to rest than to swim; good work.

Quote Reply
Re: July Fish Thread [mck414] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
6.5 mi run w/ 1 mi 8:34, 1.1 mi 8:27, 5k as 2.6 mi 8:20 + .25 mi 8:13 + .25 mi 8:07
975 yd swim

500 swim
50 kick
4 x 100 on 1:30
25 kick c/d

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Same ol', same.

WU: 3x100 drills

MS: 30x50 @46s (20s) failed at 17 and 27 (did the last 2 at 44s)

CD: 100ez

Felt a little better today vs. yesterday. But, I still feel like I've hit a plateau with these 50s---its not really a feeling rather more of a fact, since I've been at 46/47s per 50 for 3 weeks.

Maybe its because of the fatigue from my current bike/run build---this plateau coincides with the start of this build. Anyway, with the holiday coming, I've got a few days off from the pool. We will be out at the lake...so, I'm going to try and get some open water time by swimming next to my niece/nephew on their stand-up boards. After we get back, I think I'll increase the interval distance (75s -> 100s -> 125s), and try and build back to this low 1:30 pace. If I can't build more speed right now, maybe I can build more endurance.
Last edited by: Tom_hampton: Jul 3, 18 7:36
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been stuck in the 25m indoor pool for the last 2 swims as it has been boiling hot so the outdoop pool is full.

On Sunday after a 3.5h ride, I did an easy 3km swim. No fins, all a bit slower than normal.
Yesterday I had time between work and the England game so:
400m in
3x300m 25m kick/25m swim
8x100m swim arriving on 1:33 leaving on 1:50
5x100m pull and paddles
6x100m pull
300m drills, 25m drill, 25m swim
400m easy swim
100m out
4000m

I felt like I was swimming well, especially early on. I was finishing my stroke better than normal and felt like I was moving some water.
Quote Reply
Re: July Fish Thread [NUFCrichard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just out of curiosity you said you were finishing the stroke better. Was it because of:

1. having more "room" to finish due to better hip rotation
  2. driving harder with triceps
  3. Or extending at the front just before the catch rather than immediately catching, going into a better streamline and having more "time" to finish?
  4. All of the above

I have been struggling with my "finish" on back stroke due to hip rotation limitations from my bad lumbar disk
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Just out of curiosity you said you were finishing the stroke better. Was it because of:

3. Or extending at the front just before the catch rather than immediately catching, going into a better streamline and having more "time" to finish?
  4. All of the above

I have been struggling with my "finish" on back stroke due to hip rotation limitations from my bad lumbar disk

I would say mainly driving harder with the triceps, but I am working on the hip rotation too.
I have always felt weak and end up shortening my stroke as I am just unable to complete a good strong stroke.

Now that I am swimming more, I think I am starting to be able to finish my stroke better.
Quote Reply
Re: July Fish Thread [NUFCrichard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NUFCrichard wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:

4. All of the above

I would say mainly driving harder with the triceps, but I am working on the hip rotation too.
I have always felt weak and end up shortening my stroke as I am just unable to complete a good strong stroke.

Now that I am swimming more, I think I am starting to be able to finish my stroke better.

The good fish can correct me, but I found if I snap my left shoulder forward, while simultaneously rotating my right hip "up" my tricep ends up in a more powerful longitudinally appligne position to finish "longer". When I do barge like swimming flat, I am doing lat pull downs with no tricep finish.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
7/3
Had 2,500 scy planned but decided to sleep in, not sure why I was so worn out feeling. Might be a back flare up, it was bad on 7/2, trying full dose of diclofenac again to see if that help. Did a 60 min TrainerRoad workout in the afternoon, back felt ok.

7/4
2,500 scy this morning, pool all to myself. I love holidays.
w/u
4 x 100 easy
150 kick
m/s
kinda cheated w/buoy
50 hard + 500 cruise
50 hard + 400 cruise
50 hard + 300 cruise
50 hard + 200 cruise
50 hard + 100 cruise
w/d
100 back
100 breast

Going to try some track running today, get in a few 400's

-Nobody
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got back in the pool today for 45 minutes of random IM kick sets. First time in the outdoor pool this year was awesome.

I can kind of do proper freestyle and back stroke but there is a pain point at the catch and finish and there is compensation going on, so I am going to wait longer because otherwise I will build in a workaround catch into my stroke.

Breast stroke catch is low pain to none because of the orientation of the shoulder. I can also do butterfly (OK OK...I admit I did 25 of soft stroke fly with with hard kicking. There was actually very little pain for that, but I think if I applied force, it would hurt, so I am going to wait.

Right now I can do lat pulldowns with 40 lbs pain free and 50 lbs almost pain free. 60 lbs is doable, but it is hit or miss. Honestly I have to get back up to doing 100 lb lat pulldowns (16-20x) or 80 lbs (20x-30x), and then I am set to do fly again with no compensation.

I can do all stroke kick with no limitations (at least no less limitations from my bad leg since before recent accident), so I will focus pool time on the core and legs, which will be a better invesment than mucking up my stroke technique on the upper body side. I need to treat this as an IM leg "camp" opportunity vs being relegated to rehab land.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Been under the weather for 3 days now, took a chance and got in a medium one today;

20x100's 5swim@1;40(1;24's)5 buoy@1;30(1;22's)10PB@1;25 (1;17/16's)
5x100IM kick@2;00 (1;55 descend to 1;49)
5x50buoy@;50(41's)
2750SCY
Quote Reply
Re: July Fish Thread [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great long swim today from Shaw’s Cove to Crystal Cove & back — 7000 yards. The water has warmed and cleared up after what seems like months of murkiness. Lots of fish!
I still can’t run, but tried cycling and that’s ok. Next week I’m trying weather running with a vest.
Gonna make a pizza and drink Mongo IPA later today then head over to Laguna Niguel Park to watch the fireworks. Happy Independance Day!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Open water today. Family is out at the lake. So I put my buoy on and swam across and back.

1400 yards.

Did 2x20 at ftp on the bike.

Time for beer and dogs.

Happy forth fishes!
Last edited by: Tom_hampton: Jul 4, 18 15:10
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Happy Birthday America!

Got in a 3km set today trying to stick to multiples of 4 :-)

400S, 4x75B-3, 8x25UDK w/fins, 4x100K, 4x50 (25 scull, 25 free) warmup and drills.
Main set of 4x400 descending.
200 warmdown.

Qu'ing a tomahawk ribeye for my wife and I later and then head out for the fireworks.
Quote Reply
Re: July Fish Thread [scooter23] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
5.6 mi easy run, 1125 yd swim.

200 w/u
50 kick
5 x 100 on 1:30
100 fast 1:14
50 kick
225 c/d

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Was out for the rest of June after I finished my 70.3 at the start of the month so got back into training for the next thing, still to be decided....so first swims are starting off easy again

M-800m pool swim
W- 1000m open ocean

Friday's plan is to do 4x400sets w/ paddles

Ideally I want to improve my overall open ocean swim time so need to build my freestyle endurance up.

My personal training progress countdown to Ironman:
Triathlon Training
Quote Reply
Re: July Fish Thread [JRack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
75 minute TrainerRoad ride this morning and 4 mile easy run at lunch. That's it for today, the only wet i got was from my own sweat.

Tomorrow will be a different story.

Next week the mck414 family is headed to MT, looking forward to hitting the Grizzly Pool again and running up to the M!

-Nobody
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
3300 pool yards this morning. Mostly kicks and pulls in a modified ladder as 2x50k@:10RI/100p@:15RI & repeating that, incrementing the pulls by 50 up to 200, then back down. I switched up between my agility paddles and my GF's monster flat yellow paddles (now I know why she has the physique she does!)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
5 x 200 @ 2:45 (2:38, 2:30, 2:28, :28, :27)
100 kick
5 x 200 @ 2:40 (2:27, :26, :26, :26, :28)
100 kick
2 x 5:00 @ 6:30 (6:22, 6:22)
100 kick
2 x 100 @ 1:25 easy
50 kick
2 x 75 @ 1:00 easy
6 x 50 @ :05 rest, kick, breaststroke, free x 2
25 free

4025y
Quote Reply

Prev Next