Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Julien Wanders runs 59:13, New European HM record
Quote | Reply
So young hin Julien Wanders ran a New european record in the half of 59:13.

He has a very interesting story and great commitment.

http://www.letsrun.com/...5-win-2019-rak-half/

10k - 30:48 / half - 1:06:40
Quote Reply
Re: Julien Wanders runs 59:13, New European HM record [ToBeasy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Breaking Mo’s record and the fastest time by a person born outside of Africa. Looks like he also has the European 10k road record as well. Sub 1 hour at age 22 is very impressive. It’ll be interesting to watch his career and see if he continues to improve.

Matt
Last edited by: Pun_Times: Feb 7, 19 23:12
Quote Reply
Re: Julien Wanders runs 59:13, New European HM record [Pun_Times] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are Kiprop, Hadis and Haftu all not worth mentioning because they were born in Africa? Unlike Wanders who just trains in Kenya most of the time?

Wanders ran a great time, but he did come 4th. I think the first 3 deserve some recognition too!
Quote Reply
Re: Julien Wanders runs 59:13, New European HM record [NUFCrichard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NUFCrichard wrote:
Are Kiprop, Hadis and Haftu all not worth mentioning because they were born in Africa? Unlike Wanders who just trains in Kenya most of the time?

Wanders ran a great time, but he did come 4th. I think the first 3 deserve some recognition too!

If you're not into the runningscene, those names probably don't really speak to you. It's just "more kenyans/ethiopians" for alot of people I guess.
Quote Reply
Re: Julien Wanders runs 59:13, New European HM record [NUFCrichard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NUFCrichard wrote:

I agree. But I post that as a swiss guy so for us it is quite special to have a 22 year old to run such a time.

Julien has been living for the best part of the last four years in Kenya. It takes a lot of guts for someone at that age to chase a dream as relentlessly as he does. Now he has his own training group in Iten.

It is a bit uncommon in Switzerland to give up so much to excel in sport.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It is totally OK to be a fan of athletes from your own country.
Not everybody can write about Sanders, the fitness women and Zwift.

His run is impressive. I am expecting that he will improve on his 5000 and 10000 times this summer.
Quote Reply
Re: Julien Wanders runs 59:13, New European HM record [Halvard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, his 5000m and 10000m times on the track are not as impressive as his road achievements. The road 10ks he ran in october and december (both Euro records as well) were much faster. I hope he can show his class on the track as well this summer. (Or at the olympics the next year)

Long term I guess he will excel at the marathon. The road is his strength and he can also tolerate a lot of training.

He lives most of the year in Kenya and also has an african girlfriend. A swiss endurance sport magazine recently published a one week diary. He usually trains at 6 in the morning and again at 4 in the afternoon. In addition to his 170-200k of running he does a lot of gym and strengthening exercises. And he posts a lot of stuff on instagram.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Probably only on the same "regime" as most of these kenyans are ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I read somewhere he ran the Vaporfly 4%. Add 4% to his time and we have his normal time ??????
Quote Reply
Re: Julien Wanders runs 59:13, New European HM record [longtrousers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And the winner Kiprop ran wit slow adidas shoes 58’42’’ which could easily have been 56’42’’ with Vaporflys!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I found the race on Youtube.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPjjUbEzg_0

Now that I have moved back to Norway I hope to se him at Bislett this year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great run by Wanders today

The elite men began five minutes later and Wanders, who broke Mo Farah’s European half-marathon record, last week, continued to show outstanding form, completing his 5km in 13:29, just one second inside the target time of 13:30, and eight seconds clear of second-placed Sondre Moen of Norway (13:37).

https://www.iaaf.org/news/report/wanders-hassan-world-record-5km-monaco

Quote Reply
Re: Julien Wanders runs 59:13, New European HM record [Halvard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, and cool that with the new rules it counts as a world record.

But I guess he was not entirely recovered from last weeks half. Sub 60 sure takes something out of you.

Now I'm excited to see what he can do on the track this summer.

Also cool that Moen is back after his struggles with injuries. I want to see him run another marathon.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I read one article where he was quoted saying he had the flu earlier in the week and wasn't sure how it would go coming into the 5k.
Quote Reply