Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Joule 2.0 Meltdown - Screen is Frozen
Quote | Reply
Joule screen is frozen and says: "JOULE FIRMWARE UPDATE requested DO NOT DISCONNECT"

Connected my Joule 2.0 this morning, opened PowerAgent and it prompted me to do the 7.5.1 upgrade, which I did from Saris' web site. On a WinXP machine. Then, I get a message about new firmware. Part of me says, "don't do it because it never works and will hang the Joule". But I went ahead anyway and at the start of the update I get a message box that says something is wrong with my USB connected device and I need to resolve it. I try to resolve it through Hardware Mgmt and no dice. So I wait and wait and nothing happens. And now my Joule screen is frozen with a message that says "JOULE FIRMWARE UPDATE requested DO NOT DISCONNECT". I've tried everything including downloading new drivers, another round of updating the software. Tried reconnecting it to my Mac with the updated drivers and software. No dice.

Any advice? Anyone know of a way to do a soft or hard reset? Would disconnecting the battery help reset it?

Pretty frustrating as this is the second time that I've had a firmware upgrade from Saris shit itself mid-update.
Quote Reply
Re: Joule 2.0 Meltdown - Screen is Frozen [JustJim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello Jim!

I have the same problem!! If you have repair by yourself could you send me an email please @ clement_dornier@hotmail.ch

It's very frustrating!

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Joule 2.0 Meltdown - Screen is Frozen [klement] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jim,

I was also wondering what you did to fix this? I just got my Joule 2.0 today, and literally 10 mins into setting it up it went into that

"Firmware has been requested... do not disconnect" screen

I just want to know how you got out of this debacle.

I'm on a macbook pro running snow leopard. I installed the drivers and the poweragent software that came with the joule...

you said uninstalling would perhaps help --- how do you do that?
Quote Reply
Re: Joule 2.0 Meltdown - Screen is Frozen [zcampbell1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I figured out how to do it!!! after 8 hours of pure hell one guy at saris finally got it right!

go to:

http://www.cycleops.com
>>products>>software>>download latest poweragent software 7.5.1.19
Restart computer

connect joule 2.0 to computer via usb cord

launch poweragent application

go to tools>>firmware>>reset AL/Bootloader

This should reset your joule (it will be unfrozen now)

once that happens (and you'll be really happy)

go to tools>> firmware>> check firmware updates (to make sure your joule is up to date)

mine is now working after doing exactly this

Hope it works for you! if it does let me know!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi,

I had issues with the firmware update for my Joule 3.0 whilst carrying out the recommended update. I ended up with the frozen device as described in this thread. Unfortunately the solution here did not work for me but I did find another solution so thought I would post in the hope it may save some fellow users some time and frustration!!

This is for the case where you try the Firmware > Reset AL/Bootloader and it says no device is connected.

1. Navigate to the "Device Manager" and you should see listed a usb device of some description (may vary from machine to machine) with a small yellow warning triangle next to it

2. Double click it to get the properties up

3. Select to Uninstall the Driver and ensure you check to delete the driver file

4. Unplug and re-plugin the joule; this will force windows to try and install the driver for the device

5. Allow it to do its thing and hopefully it will complete successfully

6. Now try the Reset AL/Bootloader and hopefully it will work this time around

I then completed the firmware update successfully. I think the Firmware update if tried automatically from within the PowerAgent software gets a bit screwed and the USB device driver gets screwed and then your stuffed as your PC can't talk to the device.

Hope that helps!! :)

S
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
zcampbell1's post has the clues, but the landscape has changed, so I want to update for anyone else searching for this.

PowerTap was bought by SRAM last year, who now take responsibility for support. And by "take" I mean "give," to Quark, who then plopped the help pages on zendesk.

The link for Joule firmware is now:

https://powertap.zendesk.com/...023384934-PowerAgent

The procedure is to
1. Download the .exe installer from that link
2. Run the installer to install PowerAgent.
3. Run PowerAgent.
4. Go into Tools -> Firmware and select "Reset AL/Bootloader".
5. Wait a bit, then if nothing happens unplug the Joule from the USB and plug it back in.

I saw the proper startup display on the Joule at this point, and it proceeded to load the newest firmware, which appears to be from ca. 2015. I did not have to reboot during the procedure.
Quote Reply