Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Jonnyo vs Ottawa Posers Smackdown with video coverage...deferred to Sunday...tomorrow 6:50 am is course preview ride
Quote | Reply
OK, the THE JONNYO is up here in Ottawa visiting his family. I invited him out to a few rides, but he kept giving me some lame ass excuses about not having a road bike and being tired from Ironman Arizona.

Well, I have this 90K bike ride that I do before work at least one morning a week and it includes a 40K 2400 ft vertical climbing loop through Gatineau Park. Anyway, this morning I decided that I needed to test where my fitness is and posted a 1:20.51 for the 40K. To put it into context, my best was 1:15.50 last year when I was in peak fitness on warm summer morning. This morning was 3 degrees C, dressed in full winter gear, no aero helmet, 2 bottles (vs zero), so not too shabby all considered.

Anyway, I sent an email out to my training buddies stating that this was the first "lame benchmark" for the studs to obliterate later in the year. Well, Jonnyo was on the email thread, and now he is threatening to go sub 70 minutes.

We are now making arrangements to get him a road bike. On Thu morning at 6:50 am I will start...my 10 minute man Jonnyo will be chasing me down leaving at 7 am....40K later, first dude to the line takes the glory....pro or poser!

Stay tuned for more details. This is what this sport is all about...impromtu smackdowns! Now hopefully the pro does not pull up with some lame excuse.

Now I need to go on the celery and carrots diet for 2 days in an effort to shed unwanted bulk for the 2400 ft of vertical!!!
Last edited by: devashish paul: Apr 25, 07 10:23
Quote Reply
Re: I think I am racing against Jonnyo on Thursday morning here in Ottawa [devashish paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dev, you have a 10 minute headstart??? if you lose this smackdown, I will be SO disappointed.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: I think I am racing against Jonnyo on Thursday morning here in Ottawa [devashish paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shame we can't get cycling.tv to cover that. Try to have someone get some pictures. Sounds like a "fun" time for all.

Ric
Quote Reply
Re: I think I am racing against Jonnyo on Thursday morning here in Ottawa [More is MORE] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey man...Jonnyo beat me by 33 minute over 180K at Kona. Over 40K, that would be 7:20. 10 minutes should be reasonably fair given that his top end FT power is likely going to be even more beneficial on the climbs and at hjigh speeds on the rollers.

Dev
Quote Reply
Re: I think I am racing against Jonnyo on Thursday morning here in Ottawa [ttracer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The road is still closed to vehicular traffic. Anyone covering it with a camera would have to be able to go back and forth between Jonnyo and I. I think the only candidate who could pull this off is Bjorn!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just make sure you are ahead of him at the top of the last climb, then ease up a bit, let him pass you, then draft like crazy and outsprint him at the end.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I also heard some rumours that THE JONNYO has been doing a little bit of training since then ;)

This is one RR I can't wait to read <G>
Quote Reply
Re: I think I am racing against Jonnyo on Thursday morning here in Ottawa [More is MORE] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There will be no drafting permitted. The final 8.5K is largely downhill (but you have to pedal). This morning I did it in a touch over 11 minutes. My additional mass will help me on this section, but as Miranda says, Jonnyo has been training, and what comes down has to have gone up in the first place. The climbing is really front end loaded on this course and as such, the celery diet will be paramount!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There will be no drafting permitted.

Who made that silly rule??

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My ass is much wider than Jonnyo's I don't want him sitting on my wheel for 1K and then outsprinting me. He has to stick to Zone2 right now as prescribed by his coach because of his post Ironman Arizona recovery, so I think I can take him in a sprint :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
what comes down has to have gone up in the first place

LOL. go jonnyo :)

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Experience has told me there is one sure way to bet Jonnyo...send him off course. Now he will demand a public apology afterwards and never talk to you again, but you can deny any knowledge and simply brand him as a sore loser.
Quote Reply
Re: I think I am racing against Jonnyo on Thursday morning here in Ottawa [centermiddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LOL!!!!!!!!! yeah...... i still bitter about that race!!!! AND STILL WAITING FOR APOLOGIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

but dev..... what about i put on 650 road wheels on my mtb....so i can race you and test my theory that aero frame is a marketing idea more than a practical idea.....

of course... with a mtb.... you have to make the time difference a bit smaller... it s a full suspention bike!!!!

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Re: I think I am racing against Jonnyo on Thursday morning here in Ottawa [jonnyo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll tell you what....you use the MTB and get Jean to lend you his LG Prologue helmet and we'll call it a wash :-).

OK, if you use MTB with 650 road wheels, let's call it 7:20 delta (same diff as our relative splits in Kona...you are better trained now but only going Z2).

Here is a memorable quote from Peter Reid at Kona, "Jonny, you look fat..."...I wonder what Peter would say today to the toned down ripped version of the French Canadian Rocket?
Quote Reply
Re: I think I am racing against Jonnyo on Thursday morning here in Ottawa [jonnyo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can you get into your aero position on the mtb? What tires - slicks or nobblies?

This may be one of your worse ideas for a science experiment which is saying something... :)

Forget speedwork. Speedwork is the icing on the cake and you don't have a cake yet. - MattinSF

Basically they have 9 tenants, live life to the fullest, do not turn the cheak, and embrace the 7 deadly since. - TheForge (on satanists)
Quote Reply
Re: I think I am racing against Jonnyo on Thursday morning here in Ottawa [Lazy Ben] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Someone put Tufo's on Jonnyo's 650's...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LOL...I just realized that was the dumbest question I've asked for quite some time :)

Forget speedwork. Speedwork is the icing on the cake and you don't have a cake yet. - MattinSF

Basically they have 9 tenants, live life to the fullest, do not turn the cheak, and embrace the 7 deadly since. - TheForge (on satanists)
Quote Reply
Re: I think I am racing against Jonnyo on Thursday morning here in Ottawa [Lazy Ben] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
why a bad idea????? i was thinking of finding 650 road wheels and putting it on the mtb... then crunching down on the bike and staying as aero as possible and see what happen..... I think it s a great science experiment and i will make sure to controle all the other factor and publish something on a big engineering paper.... after all....everyting i do or write is always very serious!!!!

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think you should at least mount some aerobars 2 minutes before the race starts so you have somewhere to rest your arms. Also you should paint the mtb pink for consistency :)

You are indeed always very serious and a mens of science. You should update your website with your bitchin IMAZ result and RR by the way.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
can't wait!!!!!!!!!

Cheers,
Fred.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
650 road wheels....do you have disc brakes on your MTB?

Ahh...you probably won't need to stop.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by slimjim [ In reply to ]
Re: I think I am racing against Jonnyo on Thursday morning here in Ottawa [cdanrun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The course has one U turn, two road crossing and one hard right hand turn where you have ~ 60 kph speed coming in. You don't need brakes for number 1 and for two and three if there are no cars, no brakes needed, and for the last one, you have lean really really really hard if you want to make the turn without touching the brakes. Usually I sit up a bit and let the air take off the top end of the speed and then I can make this turn without braking...seems like a shame to brake in a TT.
Quote Reply
Re: I think I am racing against Jonnyo on Thursday morning here in Ottawa [slimjim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SlimJim, yes, Champlain out and back is part of this course. Otherwise it would only be 36K. My Fortune time on the TT is slow...only around 5 minutes. I'm already at the redline at the base of the climb (don't forget the first 500m to the "start" is the steepest) and you need some headroom when you get over the top to keep pushing. The top of Fortune is typically only around halfway through the entire TT from a duration perspective, but 2/3 or more from a climbing perspective. I usually get there in the 38 to 43 min range depending on the day.

You should come out and do the video coverage :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dev-

Just slip Jonnyo a few servings of those Canadian fries w/ gravy & cheese, forgot what you guys call it ?

That ought to slow him down a bit. Remember the ST rule though.....pics or it didn't happen. Maybe Itzeasy can ride chase with a helmet cam.

Seeing him in deep torment, I said. " You can have my last GU , but its been down my pants for most of the run". - John Hirsch

Take care of your body, its by far the coolest thing you're going to ever own.- Can't remember who told me this, but I love it.
Quote Reply

Prev Next