Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Jonny Brownlee 70.3
Quote | Reply
He’s doing Portugal 70.3 next weekend. Be interesting to see how it goes.
Quote Reply
Re: Jonny Brownlee 70.3 [Island] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think Casper Stornes is doing that race too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very interested to see how he goes at this distance and see if my theory of being a rock star at the longer distances is correct.

Anyway of watching this race live?
Quote Reply
Re: Jonny Brownlee 70.3 [Jackets] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Would think no chance of a live stream since there are a few races the same day, including IM Cali.

Really looking forward to seeing how he goes. Smart racer and is comparable to the likes of Iden and Blumenfelt at the oly distance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wonder if this means he's officially retired from ITU now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tough time for mediocre pros trying to cut their teeth and earn a living with all these killers coming out to play!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Worth a watch this if you haven't seen it.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jackets wrote:
Worth a watch this if you haven't seen it.

Love it. Such a down to earth guy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jackets wrote:
Very interested to see how he goes at this distance and see if my theory of being a rock star at the longer distances is correct.

Anyway of watching this race live?

I was very unimpressed with him in Daytona but he is a beast on the bike and that is where most of the potential issues could be moving up. That and nutrition obviously. Do you remember Karlovy Vary a few years ago where he took 4 mins out of the field on the bike. That makes me think as long as he can get a good position dialled in he should be very competitive at the 70.3 championship races and beyond.

I still think his brother has more potential all things being equal. He is just that bit heavier and can put down 20-30watts more which always helps in a TT. But all things are not equal and ultimately I don't think he'll ever be 100% again.
Quote Reply
Re: Jonny Brownlee 70.3 [Adman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
it's funny, i've generally thought that jonny had more potential at long course than ali. he's definitely slightly less the pure thoroughbred speed machine that ali is, but he also seems more robust, resistant to injury, and more patient.

either way i'm very curious to see how he goes.

my guess is that in a small-ish race he fairly comfortably wins, but we don't learn too much. things get very interesting if he moves permanently to middle-distance racing and starts competing against big fields.

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Re: Jonny Brownlee 70.3 [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Should be interesting, although this will be a long way from a fully prepared JB, given Tokyo followed by Superleague.

I hope he’s more decisive than Ali and either goes fully LC or stays SC. I think Ali dithered far too long, straddling LC and Tokyo and compromised his efforts at both.
Quote Reply
Re: Jonny Brownlee 70.3 [TRO Saracen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TRO Saracen wrote:
I think Ali dithered far too long, straddling LC and Tokyo and compromised his efforts at both.

To be fair, Alistair has been battling ankle problems. Definitely one advantage Jonny has, is that he seems to be less injury prone. From what he said in Tokyo, he is planning to switch to 70.3 permanently (well at least not do ITU & olympics).
Quote Reply
Re: Jonny Brownlee 70.3 [TRO Saracen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TRO Saracen wrote:
Should be interesting, although this will be a long way from a fully prepared JB, given Tokyo followed by Superleague.

I hope he’s more decisive than Ali and either goes fully LC or stays SC. I think Ali dithered far too long, straddling LC and Tokyo and compromised his efforts at both.

Yeh I think that 2017-2021 period was a bit of a disaster for AB, even though he came away with 2x 70.3 Worlds medals. Jonny will hopefully be more decisive and commit early. However the temptation of Paris might be too much and even though he would only be 34 after it, he is much older in triathlon years, so will hopefully make the move now. I agree with Mike that Jonny seems to have a much more methodical and detail orientated temperament which I think is suited to long course.

One thing I would say for both of them though is that they need to leave Leeds as their permanent training base. Great for ITU training but not for long course. Weather, road conditions, route profiles, traffic etc not great for TT riding.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Adman wrote:
One thing I would say for both of them though is that they need to leave Leeds as their permanent training base.

I'll eat my socks if that ever happens :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Adman wrote:
TRO Saracen wrote:

Yeh I think that 2017-2021 period was a bit of a disaster for AB, even though he came away with 2x 70.3 Worlds medals. Jonny will hopefully be more decisive and commit early. However the temptation of Paris might be too much and even though he would only be 34 after it, he is much older in triathlon years, so will hopefully make the move now. I agree with Mike that Jonny seems to have a much more methodical and detail orientated temperament which I think is suited to long course.

One thing I would say for both of them though is that they need to leave Leeds as their permanent training base. Great for ITU training but not for long course. Weather, road conditions, route profiles, traffic etc not great for TT riding.

That's a good point, where has Ali trained in the past for Kona/70.3?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jackets wrote:
Adman wrote:
TRO Saracen wrote:

That's a good point, where has Ali trained in the past for Kona/70.3?

They are definitely starting to travel a bit more for training recently. I remember in the old days you'd rarely see them training abroad. Ali trained in Arizona I think before Kona. And I think he has been going to Spain and Portugal as well.
Quote Reply