Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Joining a high school swim team
Quote | Reply
Hey so I'm a upcoming junior for my high school and I was wondering if I should join the swim team instead of doing track this year. I will obviously still bike and run. But I suck at all the strokes except freestyle and that is the only one I want to get good at since that is the only one we do in triathlon. I have just been doing cross country and track for the past 2 years but I really need to improve my swimming. So Is it worth going to try the swim team instead of doing track this year.
Quote Reply
Re: Joining a high school swim team [Rayan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do both, and yes the earlier you can get the swim down the better for you as a triathlete. Of course figure out what you want out of all of this too. That should ultimately lead you in the direction you want to take all of this.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Strictly speaking for triathlon, yes, do swimming. And you'll also find that putting time in on the other strokes is beneficial.

I guess the exception for me: if you're looking at a possible scholarship for track, then stick with it..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No. You should sign up for your high school swim team and stay on the cross country and track teams. Try the other strokes. You're learn how to swim and be surprised at the value the other strokes provide to the overall balance of your body in terms of strength, flexibility, and conditioning. Your shoulders will thank you in a few years too. Also, your running will improve from stronger arms and stronger core. Your mind will be stronger from competition in various sports. Your emotions will be stronger and better balanced from knowing how to compete in various sports, especially in triathlons. You'll also learn how to fuel your body for workouts and competition and how to balance social, school, and personal time better. Pay attention to everything you get exposed to now. In the out years you'll better understand what you learned and thus be in a better position to apply it to your benefit in the future. I know, heavy thinking for a high schooler asking a simple question. See how it plays out for you.

https://www.palmtreesahead.com/
https://www.palmtreesahead.com/tactics2faster-new

Last edited by: djmsbr: Jul 16, 19 8:15
Quote Reply
Re: Joining a high school swim team [djmsbr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
High School swimming was some of my most memorable times in High school.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why is this an either/ or kinda deal? Swimming is a winter sport. Track is a spring sport. Do 'em both. Learn to swim properly, including flip turns, butterfly, backstroke and, umm, maybe breaststroke. Pay attention to your sendoffs and learn how to train/ suffer in the water. Go to morning practices and afternoon, never see the sun during the season, and develop vitamin d deficiency syndromes. In the end, you'll come out a more complete person and athlete and look back on the process only to say, "Hell yeah!"

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sign up with your local USA Swimming program, practice & train and go out for the high school team.

#swimmingmatters
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.
The Doctor (#12)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you do this, please post an update during/after the season. Thanks.

Indoor Triathlete - I thought I was right, until I realized I was wrong.
Quote Reply
Re: Joining a high school swim team [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In California, swimming is a spring sport unfortunately. My Daughter would love to do both track and swimming.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
that's a hard one. it's not a clear cut enough decision to cause you to choose the school team sport you dislike. but if it's a tossup for you then - reluctantly, because i was a runner in HS - you're instincts are right. it's the swim team for you.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My daughter swam club and high school and really liked the more relaxed atmosphere of high school. Your location may differ, but in most places you can do swimming and track or cross country, because one season doesn’t overlap.

As far as doing two sports at once, I would say maybe not. Life is short and there are a ton of demands on your time with one sport and school. Grades and being prepared for SAT/ACT exams are important during your Junior year if you are serious about college.

You also might want to ride your bike a bit and you will already be completely fried trying to do two sports at once. Also think of leaving some time for just having fun and hanging out with friends. Life is short and you can never go back, so take some time to be a kid/young adult.
Quote Reply
Re: Joining a high school swim team [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For me swimming was a winter sport and it competed with indoor track. After a lot of pain running during my freshman year cross country season (Osgood-Schlatters), I decided it would be smart if I just joined the swim team instead for some cross training. I did 2 weeks of tryouts, fairly easily made the team, and then got so scared at the idea of missing track workouts and runs with friends, I quit the team before I even joined and rejoined the track team. While my situation may be different than OPs (I grew up swimming and pretty much knew I didn't like organized swim practice already), it is really, really hard to step away from a sport you're already confident in and more importantly, already have a bond with your teammates in.

While strengthening your swim in general would certainly be better for triathlon, my gut would be to stay with track and focus on improving your swimming on your own time. Now if you don't like your track team/coach that's a whole other story...

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you all so much for your responses. I have decided that I will try out the swim team as I am not interested in a scholarship for running. Also the the school I go to in Irvine does track and swimming both in spring for some reason. I will keep you guys updated and see how it goes. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good luck! Hope you enjoy it. High school swimming opened my eyes to truly competitive sport and it shaped me as a person. Keep your spirits and efforts up and you'll fit right in.

KJ
Swim and Triathlon Coach
AllTerrainEndurance.com
KJ@allterrainendurance.com
Quote Reply