Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Join Us for No Alcohol 3.0, January 2018 [dcpdpayne] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dcpdpayne wrote:
My goal for the winter season is to drop 15lbs to improve my power to weight ratio. There is no easier way to cut out unwanted calories like watching what liquids you consume. Soft drinks, fruit juices (especially store bought, rather than squeezed at home) and alcohol are packed with calories that for all intent and purpose are empty.

Pretty sure fruit juice is the same no matter who is squeezing it.
Quote Reply
Re: Join Us for No Alcohol 3.0, January 2018 [Skipp80] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Skipp80 wrote:

I'm in.

Not going to lie, I am expecting this is going to be quite difficult for me. I am going to combo this up with a weight loss challenge too.

Day 1 - Done (182.6 pounds)
Day 2 - Done
Day 3 - Off wagon (one glass of wine....still 183 pounds
Day 4 - maybe I will shoot for 80% no alcohol for January
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Skipp80 wrote:

I'm in.

Not going to lie, I am expecting this is going to be quite difficult for me. I am going to combo this up with a weight loss challenge too.

Day 1 - Done (182.6 pounds)
Day 2 - Done
Day 4 - maybe I will shoot for 80% no alcohol for January

good
you can always start again

TriguyBlue wrote:
It's mid summer so no alcohol January won't happen, i can easily not drink all winter though. Once it's cold i don't even feel like having a beer, but they just go down so nicely in summer.

hahaha! the northern hemisphere bias is exposed. no beer at the beach is nuts.
Last edited by: dsmallwood: Jan 4, 18 10:34
Quote Reply
Re: Join Us for No Alcohol 3.0, January 2018 [johnpostmd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1/4 Update:

So far, so good with no drinking. This has been very do-able so far. Friday nights are the hardest, so I've already got tomorrow covered...

Just had 4 wisdom teeth pulled, and have a mouth full of stitches. Won't have to worry about drinking tomorrow. Or probably even eating.

In two weekends I fly out to see my parents for the weekend. My mom just had a stent installed in her liver, so that means her health right now might "not be good". Easy to not drink there.

Good Luck everyone!
Quote Reply
Re: Join Us for No Alcohol 3.0, January 2018 [dsmallwood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dsmallwood wrote:

hahaha! the northern hemisphere bias is exposed. no beer at the beach is nuts.

The lawn wouldn't get mowed for a month if i couldn't have an ice cold beer after lol, can't have that in peak growing season.
Quote Reply
Re: Join Us for No Alcohol 3.0, January 2018 [FairDestroyer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok, right now I want a drink. I get home and my mailbox was run into. I live on a quiet dead end cul-de-sac. I text all my neighbors. Turns out one of my neighbors Amazon delivery guys did it. Didn't leave a note. I have video evidence from his security camera. 2 hrs later I'm still waiting for a call back from a manager after being on hold for 45 min!!!

https://www.strava.com/athletes/23685202
Quote Reply
Re: Join Us for No Alcohol 3.0, January 2018 [TriRugby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How about a Busch non-alcoholic beer?

John

John H. Post, III, MD
Orthopedic Surgeon
Charlottesville, VA
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
johnpostmd wrote:

You forgot to put that in pink, because I know you're not serious.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am in for January and hopefully longer. I have seen this post the last few years, and wasn't going to do this but I have had the flu since 12/29 and have not been drinking because of that. Now it is the 4th and I am feeling pretty good about being able to get through the month.

I definitely fall into the category of having too much, too often - rarely a weeknight without one or two (usually two) after work, and usually two to four on weekend days. I have always been able to train away any alcohol-related weight gain, but if I'm honest, this last year my workouts and race performances started to take a hit. It sucks training through the summer here in Phoenix and this year my body did not respond to the heat nearly as well as it used to, likely because of too much drinking.

With a big race schedule this year, I have been thinking about quitting completely, or cutting back dramatically, for a while, not only because of the health risks, but also because I spend way too much money on it.

Good luck to everyone, happy to be a part of it.
Quote Reply
Re: Join Us for No Alcohol 3.0, January 2018 [jpk_phx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
After failing New Year’s Day I am trying again. For weight loss I started year at 210 now 208.4 and looking for 199 by 3/1
Quote Reply
Re: Join Us for No Alcohol 3.0, January 2018 [ericlambi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericlambi wrote:
johnpostmd wrote:

You forgot to put that in pink, because I know you're not serious.

That stuff wouldn't count as beer, even if it were the full strength version.

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Adam Savage
Quote Reply
Re: Join Us for No Alcohol 3.0, January 2018 [slidecontrol] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wondering how many people are hearing from their family/loved ones that 'we' are getting cranky...or am I alone on that.

;)

I'd imagine I'm a bit less tolerant these past few days. Hoping it will pass. Keep up the good work everyone. This first week must be the toughest.
Quote Reply
Re: Join Us for No Alcohol 3.0, January 2018 [dtoce] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dtoce wrote:
Wondering how many people are hearing from their family/loved ones that 'we' are getting cranky...or am I alone on that.

;)

I'd imagine I'm a bit less tolerant these past few days. Hoping it will pass. Keep up the good work everyone. This first week must be the toughest.

It's only hard when you think about it. Just put it out of your mind and you'll be good to go.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My wife did ask why I was so worked up. Normally I would let stuff go a little easier. She asked if I wanted a drink and I said no and told her about the challenge. I wanted to see how long she thought it was weird I wasn't drinking. I don't know if 4 days is good or bad. Well I'm on day 5 and still going strong right now.

Quote Reply
Re: Join Us for No Alcohol 3.0, January 2018 [TriRugby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I failed last night, but it was a one off (I hope). I knew there was a chance this would happen, as I have travelled country for an interview, and they invited me out for dinner. When the wine was ordered I just did not want to explain this challenge so I kept quiet and drank some wine. Back on the challenge today though.
Quote Reply
Re: Join Us for No Alcohol 3.0, January 2018 [Gonefishin5555] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gonefishin5555 wrote:
After failing New Year’s Day I am trying again. For weight loss I started year at 210 now 208.4 and looking for 199 by 3/1

I feel your pain, I am going the wrong way, up 2.5 lbs. At least day 4 was dry. The saga continues...

Day 1 - DRY (182.6 pounds)
Day 2 - DRY
Day 4 - DRY - (but up to 185....maybe I should have a few beers to get back down to 182)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok, I'm really being tested the week. 2nd floor bathroom pipe froze and busted. Leaking all over the kids playroom. FFS!!

Last edited by: TriRugby: Jan 5, 18 18:41
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Totally tempted today with one of my favorite beers, Nelson IPA from Alpine Brewery, it is hard to come by here in Northern California. I have not seen it on tap around here in over a year. True test.
Quote Reply
Re: Join Us for No Alcohol 3.0, January 2018 [sfdhoseman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm still off the grog, chocolate and facebook but I dropped the vegan thing today - just too picky!

My race site: https://racesandplaces.wixsite.com/racesandplaces
Quote Reply
Re: Join Us for No Alcohol 3.0, January 2018 [Jigsy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Going pretty well so far. I downloaded an app called EasyQuit Drinking to help motivate me and I thought the following was interesting information.

After 3 days of no alcohol - Brain cells start regenerating themselves.
1 week - anxiety and nausea should be much easier
2 weeks - Skin health, sleep and digestive system should improve
3 weeks - New neurons are developing in your brain, cognitive function improves
1 month - white grey matter in brain has been shown to increase in size
2 months - Cognitive functions are going back to normal
3 months - Mental health is recovering. Depression and anxiety that are related to withdrawal symptoms are reduced.
4 months - Many alcohol quitters notice a great deal of fat loss.
6 months - Physical fitness is back to normal levels. Working out is much easier.
1 year - Liver health is greatly improved, if not completely back to normal
2 years - risk of coronary heart disease is almost back to normal levels
5 years - risk of dying of sudden stroke is greatly reduced
10 years - risk of developing cancer in areas affected by alcohol is down to a level only slightly above someone who never drank.
Quote Reply
Re: Join Us for No Alcohol 3.0, January 2018 [abake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Going to a pub tonight for a work holiday party (nurses!).

Going for a quick recovery run and then going to drink some NA bloody marys, with condiments. Can't think of a better post workout snack/drink.

In addition to keeping my fluids incoming, I've been setting aside 30 min in morning for reading or clearing my head/setting my attitude for the day...plus coffee, 30 minutes for strength/flexibility/core, eating a BIG breakfast and heading out.

On the drive to work, confirm my ability to set the tone for the day. I can't control my day, but I can control my reaction to it.

Went out for post swim lunch yesterday with bartenders and slammed Topo Chico. Asked if I wanted a beer, said I'm good and ignored odd looks.

Keep up all the good work!
Quote Reply
Re: Join Us for No Alcohol 3.0, January 2018 [sfdhoseman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Now that is will power. Well done my good man, well done.

sfdhoseman wrote:
Totally tempted today with one of my favorite beers, Nelson IPA from Alpine Brewery, it is hard to come by here in Northern California. I have not seen it on tap around here in over a year. True test.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So far so good here. Hubby has been away since the 1st for work so the temptation to sit on the sofa with a glass of wine of an evening hasn't been there (and no-one is here to witness any increased tetchiness). When I've done this before I find it's the habit of having a drink more than the actual drink itself so tea often works out to be a good substitute.

And so far I have managed to avoid substituting the alcohol calories with sweets/junk food. Long may it continue.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First Friday night a success which was always my crux! And after a very difficult few days at work pretty stoked. No cravings. By today day 6 despite a man cold setting in i feel a lot more clear headed and sleeping well.

Talking with my friend who specializes in addiction medicine has been a great help as some great discussion around physiology of addiction...i always like to know the why...brain stem vs brain etc. A great anology we talked about was "are you the cucumber or the pickle? At what point does the cucumber become a pickle?"

After a week off leading into Christmas and this week without alcohol i feel confident i am not a pickle! But i would submit, wanting to seek a conversation whether i am or not, suggests The proximity in near!

To the ST thread stay the course!

@rhyspencer
Quote Reply

Prev Next