Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Join Us for No Alcohol 3.0, January 2018 [johnpostmd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm in. Was actually already planning on doing this, so a little extra motivation/support can't hurt.

A little tip that I picked up from cutting waaaay back on the booze a couple of years ago, I'll take a CBD capsule some evenings for both general soreness and it helps take the edge off after a long day.

Good luck y'all!
Quote Reply
Re: Join Us for No Alcohol 3.0, January 2018 [mackey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm in. I havent't gpt dry week from long time. Let's change it ;)
Quote Reply
Re: Join Us for No Alcohol 3.0, January 2018 [GMAN and johnpostmd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
I'm in. There are two lonely Kona Brewing Company Hanalei Island IPAs in my fridge that will sit there until February 1.

now that's nuts. I made sure the fridge was empty. too much temptation.

johnpostmd wrote:

We are into our second day of No Alcohol January and from past experience with other athletes, the next 48 hours are the hardest.

John

watching football without a handful of cold ones was a harsh change. I'm looking forward to my 4 day tv black out. I expect to be in the groove when the Saturday games roll around.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great idea, I’m in. Going to make 2018 alcohol free.

wovebike.com | Wove on instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In! Thanks for the motivation!
Quote Reply
Re: Join Us for No Alcohol 3.0, January 2018 [natefurman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This feels like 'The Contest'. Let's see some 'I'm outs' as people fold.

My race site: https://racesandplaces.wixsite.com/racesandplaces
Quote Reply
Re: Join Us for No Alcohol 3.0, January 2018 [Jigsy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jigsy wrote:
This feels like 'The Contest'. Let's see some 'I'm outs' as people fold.

Still in. Like John said, I think days 1-3 are probably the toughest. For me it was New Years with all the bowl games - yesterday wasn't bad at all, but I also went for the first half of December, as well as last January, and I find I am getting better at deciding to "switch it off." I even enjoyed making my mother-in-law an Old-Fashioned last night without too much of an urge to have one myself!

I do like waking up feeling good every day during this month, but I also find that rather than sleeping more or feeling "a lot" more rested, I just wake up earlier. Good for fitting in those early morning workouts, though. Keep up the good work, everyone - if you can make it here, you can make it the whole month, it's just a matter of choice. Stay strong!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm still in and going strong. My bar/basement fridge is pretty stocked I probably bought too much for our holiday parties but I like to be a good host. I'm not getting rid of all that good beer and DEFINITELY not my bourbon but it's not tempting me at this point. I did stock up on a bunch of ginger ale and flavored tonic waters. I was thinking about getting a 6 pack of alcohol free beer. Are there any good ones or do they all taste like piss?

Jan 1st weight=194 lbs, will update weekly.
Jan 3rd 4:30 AM wake up (harder than normal but probably to be expected after a week off of work)

https://www.strava.com/athletes/23685202
Quote Reply
Re: Join Us for No Alcohol 3.0, January 2018 [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
New Years Day was tough--it was the third day in a row of being Mr. Mom and it was too cold for the kids to go outside. Yesterday was easy, as I went back to work....and now I'm playing Mr. Mom again today as they cancelled schools (again, cold...grrr) Being home with kids makes it tough from the "it's dinner time, I'm tired and frazzled, a beer would taste good rightaboutnow" perspective AND from the "ok, now I'm munchy-bored again, where are those pretzels." standpoint.
Last edited by: freightrain121: Jan 3, 18 5:53
Quote Reply
Re: Join Us for No Alcohol 3.0, January 2018 [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have weight goals in mind too. I haven’t worked out or dieted in three months. I’m 6’ tall and my in-shape fighting weight is around 165. I was 181 on the morning of January 1st. Was 178 this morning with two days of training and attention to diet. Want to get to my fighting weight by February 1st. Basically a pound every other day.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Join Us for No Alcohol 3.0, January 2018 [sscott43] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sscott43 wrote:
I do like waking up feeling good every day during this month, but I also find that rather than sleeping more or feeling "a lot" more rested, I just wake up earlier. Good for fitting in those early morning workouts, though. Keep up the good work, everyone - if you can make it here, you can make it the whole month, it's just a matter of choice. Stay strong!

I too am getting up just a bit earlier, despite being on call the long holiday weekend and getting little sleep on Saturday (work related). Changing behavior is always a challenge and I've found that the difficult thing so far is seeing my wife have a nice cab while I drink the purple G2. Doesn't quite taste the same..

Keep up the good work everyone! This is the place to vent and find support, if needed.

Dale
Quote Reply
Re: Join Us for No Alcohol 3.0, January 2018 [Jigsy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I lasted until monday night lol. went to dinner the restaraunt had no alcohol license which was good but then I went home and the GF asked if I had any wine in the house. Note to self remove all alcohol from house next time.
Quote Reply
Re: Join Us for No Alcohol 3.0, January 2018 [Gonefishin5555] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm in. Been wanting to do this for about 5 years... Been needing to do it for the last year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in! To make sure I'm successful this year I stopped drinking on 12/28 and while I miss alcohol at times, I haven't had any.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m in. I used to have pretty regular non-drinking periods when I was in the army for field exercises and such, but for the last couple years since I got out I feel like I’ve gotten way to used to having a couple beers or bourbons every day, and i’ve had the weight gain that comes with it. It’ll be good to back off for a while to rest and refocus on my health and fitness. My wife’s in it with me, which will also help.
Quote Reply
Re: Join Us for No Alcohol 3.0, January 2018 [Globus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 Was hard not having a scotch in my hand while cooking dinner but I made it. So far so good!
Quote Reply
Re: Join Us for No Alcohol 3.0, January 2018 [Gonefishin5555] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gonefishin5555 wrote:
I lasted until monday night lol. went to dinner the restaraunt had no alcohol license which was good but then I went home and the GF asked if I had any wine in the house. Note to self remove all alcohol from house next time.

So you aimed for 1 month and gave up after 12 hours? That's like DNFing the swim in the first 100 yards.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No thanks. January would be the last month I would choose to abstain from alcohol for the following reasons:

1. It's cold as hell outside and too much snow outside.
3. Too much time spent clearing snow.
4. Best month of the year for watching my favorite sport on TV. (football)
5. Racing season is far, far away.
6. I do more socializing in January.
7. Little or no sunshine.

maybe I'll give it up for lent......
Quote Reply
Re: Join Us for No Alcohol 3.0, January 2018 [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
I have weight goals in mind too. I haven’t worked out or dieted in three months. I’m 6’ tall and my in-shape fighting weight is around 165. I was 181 on the morning of January 1st. Was 178 this morning with two days of training and attention to diet. Want to get to my fighting weight by February 1st. Basically a pound every other day.

Sorry mate but dont pay too much attention to the scales, odds are you haven't actually lost 1.4kgs of fat in 2 days, water and glycogen definately. Unless you have burned over 10,000 calories in two days (maybe?). The scales are a very poor measure of anything-go to the toilet-bam loose weight, come out have a couple of glasses of water bam gain weight. It can leave people very upset that they aren't loosing fat etc.
Quote Reply
Re: Join Us for No Alcohol 3.0, January 2018 [TriRugby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Replying to your ST handle Trirugby. I mean, if you tell me youre of Welsh blood we are brothers.

Thankfully Wales 6 nation tests dont start till February and my winter vacation to Kona starts Feb 3!

Good luck for the month!

@rhyspencer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Who's hosting the kegger Feb 1?
Quote Reply
Re: Join Us for No Alcohol 3.0, January 2018 [bretzky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm about a week in to my challenge, but have unfortunately had ample access to desserts that aren't normally so accessible. Gah!

To breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My goal for the winter season is to drop 15lbs to improve my power to weight ratio. There is no easier way to cut out unwanted calories like watching what liquids you consume. Soft drinks, fruit juices (especially store bought, rather than squeezed at home) and alcohol are packed with calories that for all intent and purpose are empty.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's mid summer so no alcohol January won't happen, i can easily not drink all winter though. Once it's cold i don't even feel like having a beer, but they just go down so nicely in summer.
Quote Reply
Re: Join Us for No Alcohol 3.0, January 2018 [TriguyBlue] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So far so good on my end....had to turn down no less than 10 drink offers since the 1/1. Feels good. I may just make it.
Quote Reply

Prev Next