Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Join Us for No Alcohol 3.0, January 2018 [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I´m in, I let myself go over the holidays and need a strong start to get back on the horse.
Quote Reply
Re: Join Us for No Alcohol 3.0, January 2018 [johnpostmd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
- seems like a good challenge for the old coyote. I'm in.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As every year since I started triathlon, I do not drink from January for about half a year, depending on the season. This year my a-race is on the end of May, so that's the end of the sober period.

(To be honest, I always sin a couple of times (on the birthday of my wife I'll have a glass, and on ski-holidays).)

The first years it was really difficult especially the first weeks during the weekend. Now after some years it is no problem anymore to stop in January and have a tee in the weekend instead. I like the sober period: no hangovers, and it supports the yearly weight-decline.
Quote Reply
Re: Join Us for No Alcohol 3.0, January 2018 [longtrousers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m in!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm on board. But, phew, at least you're not saying no coffee!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Correlation yes. Causation can’t say. I also quit extremely high output workouts, lack of sleep, and stress (to the best of my ability). I’m the life of the party. Lampshade on my head. /pink

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Love this and really happy to jump in. Working for a winery this will have its challenges, but I gladly accept that!
Thanks for spearheading!
Quote Reply
Re: Join Us for No Alcohol 3.0, January 2018 [pdxjohn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Welcome to pdxjohn.

"I got dozens of friends and the fun never ends, that is as long as I'm buying." Styx

Drink up tonight folks, we start tomorrow. Personally, when I want to avoid something, I won't have it in the house. The temptation is just too great.

We're over 50 on board and to each and every one I wish good luck and Happy New Year.

John

John H. Post, III, MD
Orthopedic Surgeon
Charlottesville, VA
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
johnpostmd wrote:
Welcome to pdxjohn.

"I got dozens of friends and the fun never ends, that is as long as I'm buying." Styx

Drink up tonight folks, we start tomorrow. Personally, when I want to avoid something, I won't have it in the house. The temptation is just too great.

We're over 50 on board and to each and every one I wish good luck and Happy New Year.

John

However, I still largely live by the credo "life is not about deprivation"!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for putting us to the challenge Dr. John.

I'm in as well !

Dbeitel
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great idea. I'm in.
Quote Reply
Re: Join Us for No Alcohol 3.0, January 2018 [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
This one is easy. I do not drink, smoke or take any drugs, period. Why so many waste their money, and time on this stuff which adds zero value to ones life is beyond me.

Maybe if you drank you wouldn't be such an asshole...

===============
Proud member of the MSF (Maple Syrup Mafia)
Quote Reply
Re: Join Us for No Alcohol 3.0, January 2018 [Dbeitel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Okay, well I must admit..... Having been a fanboy of this thread since day one, and also since day one of 2017. I have to admit that today, yes today 12/31, I have had several drinks. Had done quite well for a week up until today. Well, in full disclosure I have been fighting a bad headcold sickness, and on Cipro (I know, everyone will say antibiotics dont do anything..... well, for me they do). But, I fully intend to fall into alignment come tomorrow 1/1/18 and stick with it through January and hopefully beyond. Last year, I made it until late April at IMTX. Post race, I had a beer or two. But, from 1/1 to then, I was faithful. This year, I will do the same.
Good luck to all who have signed up, and let's do it together! It takes strength in numbers to get there, but we can do it.

Team Zoot-Texas, and Pickle Juice
Quote Reply
Re: Join Us for No Alcohol 3.0, January 2018 [pdxjohn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Happy NY from Sunny NZ.

Went to neighbours last night for NY's eve. Chopped back a few glasses of Shiraz and a few beers. Ready to go today with no drinking January.

Thanks for organising again John!

Globes.
Quote Reply
Re: Join Us for No Alcohol 3.0, January 2018 [Globus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In for 2018 - I was dry for January 2017 plus a day in February. This year thinking about going until BWR on 4/15. I love my IPAs but definitely see a marked improvement in my training and general energy levels w/o the booze - although my fun level with friends is sometimes a bit less.

I agree with someone who posted last year that they have 95% of the fun but feel better 100% of the time. For one month it’s easy, but at least for me, it’s a tough question whether to give up the 5% permanently (since, tbh, some of those 5% moments have ended up being on the tail end of the curve, wild, memorable crazy times that will stay with me forever).

Looking forward to another month (at least) of sobriety. Stay safe and happy new year to all.
Last edited by: sscott43: Dec 31, 17 21:31
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m in! I don’t drink a lot, but haven’t gone a full month since I turned 18. Will be a challenge for sure!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll jump in too. Thanks for doing this.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thanks for the motivation doc. you can put me on your list.

I'm about to go to bed, so 1-of-31 is done.

Dave
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in. There are two lonely Kona Brewing Company Hanalei Island IPAs in my fridge that will sit there until February 1.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Join Us for No Alcohol 3.0, January 2018 [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm in. I usually do the odd month in the year too, just like to challenge myself.

(I'm also doing Veganuary too, as well as giving up chocolate and Facebook).

My race site: https://racesandplaces.wixsite.com/racesandplaces
Quote Reply
Re: Join Us for No Alcohol 3.0, January 2018 [Jigsy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Welcome, welcome. I can see giving up Facebook. But chocolate? Are you daft sir? Just kidding.

We are into our second day of No Alcohol January and from past experience with other athletes, the next 48 hours are the hardest. Let's pull for each other! If you're finding this a little more challenging than you thought, having an alternative in the fridge can be helpful. It can be as ordinary as sparkling water or from out in left field, like prune juice. I prefer the latter as, similar to an alcoholic beverage, it's completely unlike anything I've consumed during the day.

Happy 2018.

John

John H. Post, III, MD
Orthopedic Surgeon
Charlottesville, VA
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
as per my earlier post - I stopped at Boxing Day (Dec 26) so 1 week in and all good so far! I was probably on a drink or 2 a day for most of November/December.

I haven't actually started any training yet - but the 5:00am wakups with the kids have been way more pleasant
Quote Reply
Re: Join Us for No Alcohol 3.0, January 2018 [y_nigel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm in.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I'm in.

Not going to lie, I am expecting this is going to be quite difficult for me. I am going to combo this up with a weight loss challenge too.

Day 1 - Done (182.6 pounds)
Day 2 - we will see
Quote Reply
Re: Join Us for No Alcohol 3.0, January 2018 [Skipp80] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Two days down for me easy so far.

Tough bit for me is catching up with friends that'll happen mid Jan.
Quote Reply

Prev Next