Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Join Us for No Alcohol 3.0, January 2018 [chicoxcrunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sure. Happy to have you. Good luck with your (our) January quest.

Happy New Year.

John

John H. Post, III, MD
Orthopedic Surgeon
Charlottesville, VA
Quote Reply
Re: Join Us for No Alcohol 3.0, January 2018 [johnpostmd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm in. Managed Jan 2016, failed Jan 2017. I was apprehensive about 2018, as it is easier to just not try it, but with so many already signed up I'll give it a crack.
Quote Reply
Re: Join Us for No Alcohol 3.0, January 2018 [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Then you win you are a god. Please tell us how you heal the injured and feed the poor. Give it a rest dude! You want to skip the alcohol great. Going on about what a waste and the value etc. makes just makes you a dick! Don't want to do it fine, keep the judgements to yourself.
Quote Reply
Re: Join Us for No Alcohol 3.0, January 2018 [Kiwicoach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kiwicoach wrote:
I monitor resting heart rate, estimated deep sleep and heart rate variability stress estimates on a Garmin Vivosmart 3.

Don't drink a lot but had excessive caffeine intake. Have stopped all caffeine, even green tea, and notice a big drop in RHR and stress levels. Funny enough no difference to sleep.

Had several beers on Christmas day, and stress and RHR went through the roof.

So count me in.

I was monitoring these things; guess I should resume. I drink too much coffee, in part b/c it's warm and unsweatened. I have trouble finding a decaf with the same bold taste. Refilling my coffee is one of the small breaks I take at work. I feel like I've got more work than I can manage so just sit there in an ever-tightening clench until I refill my coffee.

The ever tightening clench is more uncomfy than it used to be, an artifact of hip surgery, I presume. I leave work disappointed in myself for not accomplishing more, and then tired and frustrated I go home disappointed in myself for not working out. And so I pour a portion of whatever's open when I get there (whiskey, wine, or a beer).

I've never been a morning person but lately, the past few months, I lie awake making deals with myself as to when I'll actually get up. I generally get up one of 3 ways: 1) morning PT will be ok as long as I have coffee, 2) if I move now I'll just barely make class in time , or 3) nice job, now you've blown off another workout.

Truth is, I hate this time of year. The lower hours of sunlight conspire to suck the life out of me. Worse, despite surgery to repair my hip I don't exactly feel better; some of the discomfort I've felt for years, always attributed to the labrum, remains and I'm out of energy to resume seeing doctors to figure out why. I also had some off blood values so dropped a medication until the follow-up with the doctor (end of Jan).

Ergo, I'm in. I probably need to give up coffee too but I'm liklier to be succeesful if the bar isn't so high...

To breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive.
Quote Reply
Re: Join Us for No Alcohol 3.0, January 2018 [Tsunami] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fairly safe to say Decaf is the THE DEVIL.

My RHR and stress levels on the Vivosmart 3 are down but lets not say I am enjoying life at present.

Tsunami wrote:
Kiwicoach wrote:
I monitor resting heart rate, estimated deep sleep and heart rate variability stress estimates on a Garmin Vivosmart 3.

Don't drink a lot but had excessive caffeine intake. Have stopped all caffeine, even green tea, and notice a big drop in RHR and stress levels. Funny enough no difference to sleep.

Had several beers on Christmas day, and stress and RHR went through the roof.

So count me in.

I was monitoring these things; guess I should resume. I drink too much coffee, in part b/c it's warm and unsweatened. I have trouble finding a decaf with the same bold taste. Refilling my coffee is one of the small breaks I take at work. I feel like I've got more work than I can manage so just sit there in an ever-tightening clench until I refill my coffee.

The ever tightening clench is more uncomfy than it used to be, an artifact of hip surgery, I presume. I leave work disappointed in myself for not accomplishing more, and then tired and frustrated I go home disappointed in myself for not working out. And so I pour a portion of whatever's open when I get there (whiskey, wine, or a beer).

I've never been a morning person but lately, the past few months, I lie awake making deals with myself as to when I'll actually get up. I generally get up one of 3 ways: 1) morning PT will be ok as long as I have coffee, 2) if I move now I'll just barely make class in time , or 3) nice job, now you've blown off another workout.

Truth is, I hate this time of year. The lower hours of sunlight conspire to suck the life out of me. Worse, despite surgery to repair my hip I don't exactly feel better; some of the discomfort I've felt for years, always attributed to the labrum, remains and I'm out of energy to resume seeing doctors to figure out why. I also had some off blood values so dropped a medication until the follow-up with the doctor (end of Jan).

Ergo, I'm in. I probably need to give up coffee too but I'm liklier to be succeesful if the bar isn't so high...

Hamish Ferguson: Cycling Coach
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I won't be joining but I happily offer support and encouragement for all of you who are! Good on ya.

Eliot
blog thing - strava thing
Quote Reply
Re: Join Us for No Alcohol 3.0, January 2018 [bcc594] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
my only clinical practice now is in behavioral health, with emphasis on substance, so although what a lot of people here speak about is only mild to moderate drinking, I see far too much of the effects of moderate to severe drinking after years and years. at most I drink 1 - 2 beers/month, but can commit for January to 0. thanks to everyone for contributing to a good discussion.
Quote Reply
Re: Join Us for No Alcohol 3.0, January 2018 [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
This one is easy. I do not drink, smoke or take any drugs, period. Why so many waste their money, and time on this stuff which adds zero value to ones life is beyond me.

I feel very sorry for you.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by windschatten [ In reply to ]
Last edited by: windschatten: Dec 28, 17 22:32
Re: Join Us for No Alcohol 3.0, January 2018 [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am in.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, if ever there was a challenge that I should become part of-This is 100% it! I've know for YEARS that there is a problem and more or less drink daily. Every bad decision I have ever made in life has been while drinking. From University, to current life.
There is something about that 4-5pm hour, that is very difficult to pass up to help relax after a long day.
So, here goes nothing!!
And heck, I'll probably lose weight like crazy and get faster.
I'm in!
Quote Reply
Re: Join Us for No Alcohol 3.0, January 2018 [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
Yeah, and studies on cigarettes didn't meet scientific rigor for decades either. I'm not going to convince the winos that they should cut back, but the Brits aren't the only ones who have backtracked on the old canard that a glass a day is good for you. Booze away if you like, but for those who are trying to meet the challenge, here's some more evidence.

http://www.cbc.ca/...art-health-1.2640505

First of all, I’m planning on joining the challenge again this year, as I did last year, so I won’t be boozing away.

Second, comparing the Brit study (which wasn’t really a study at all but merely a meta-analyses of other papers) to the studies on cigarettes as if they had similar scientific rigor is a bit laughable, unless you consider a non-peer reviewed meta-analysis with the conclusions written before they even did their so-called study to have scientific rigor.

Quote | Reply
I posted another study for your reading pleasure. It's easy to critique any medical studies, starting with funding sources before you even get to methodology. But like cigarettes, the negative outcomes from alcohol abuse are widely known. Meanwhile, I wish you the best on this challenge. Better yet, why not extend it permanently?!
Quote Reply
Re: Join Us for No Alcohol 3.0, January 2018 [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dan - did the elimination of alcohol reduce your incidence of a-fib? My brother has "both" and if effective in your case I could make a similar recommendation.

thanks, John

John H. Post, III, MD
Orthopedic Surgeon
Charlottesville, VA
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This hits a nerve with me and I’m in.

Committed to my second Ironman in 2018 after basically letting myself go completely since a 2016 IM. I train, but I drink. And it’s becoming an issue.

I’m someone who needs a goal to keep me motivated. So, my promise to myself is to give up the booze and get my mojo back.

Thanks for starting this thread.
Quote Reply
Re: Join Us for No Alcohol 3.0, January 2018 [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windschatten wrote:
If you really want to consume ZERO alcohol, you better check out this link:

https://www.soberlink.com/...-containing-alcohol/

With that said, and having gone beverage-alcohol free for extended periods of times in the past (and failed at other more mundane quests), I wish all of you best of success.

If anyone on here is having relapses on here because they have NyQuil. They probably should get some real help. That’s pretty much missing the forest for the trees for what this is designed for.

That’s similar to when we got a new Dr at our work clinic and she asked why I marked none under alcohol use when on a previous form I put rarely. I explained that I might have a drink once a year and it’s probably been over 12+ months since I had one. And she responds with well that’s not none. Yeah sure, it’s not zero in my life but it’s effectively zero and I probably have more alcohol from NyQuil during the year. But no one when talking about consuming alcohol means not having medicine that may contain trace amounts.
Quote Reply
Re: Join Us for No Alcohol 3.0, January 2018 [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
I posted another study for your reading pleasure. It's easy to critique any medical studies, starting with funding sources before you even get to methodology. But like cigarettes, the negative outcomes from alcohol abuse are widely known. Meanwhile, I wish you the best on this challenge. Better yet, why not extend it permanently?!

Why is it extending it permanently somehow “better?” I truly enjoy a glass of wine or a fine craft beer, why should I forgo those things? You seem dangerously close to being like Dave by making a value judgement about anyone who decides to imbibe. Yes, abusing alcohol does have very negative effects, but that’s not what we’re talking about here; we’re discussing drinking in moderation. Going alcohol free for a month is for me, a good way to jump start some weight loss by eliminating those calories, but I don’t have a desire to do it permanently.

ETA: HuffnPuff, feel free to have the last word here, I’m done responding.

To everyone else, good luck with the challenge, my apologies for derailing the thread.

Last edited by: spot: Dec 29, 17 8:25
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in. Been completely sober since 2009 and my health and wallet have been thanking me since.

jake

Get outside!
Quote Reply
Re: Join Us for No Alcohol 3.0, January 2018 [renorider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
renorider wrote:
I won't be joining but I happily offer support and encouragement for all of you who are! Good on ya.

Ditto.

I've cut way back on alcohol after last year's hockey season (running through June with 6 games of the Stanley Cup Final) and have pretty much cut out all beer. I'll have a glass of wine with dinner on occasion.
Once, training for IM, I cut out all alcohol for 10 months prior. Didn't help, nor did I lose weight.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: Join Us for No Alcohol 3.0, January 2018 [Grant.Reuter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, Grant. I think we're on your side of that argument.

We're now up to 38 STers on board for January abstention and a bunch from my blog. With an army that strong how can we be anything but successful come the new year?

John

John H. Post, III, MD
Orthopedic Surgeon
Charlottesville, VA
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in too.
Quote Reply
Re: Join Us for No Alcohol 3.0, January 2018 [Scheherazade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am in also. Just for the 'fun of it'. And, of course, to keep myself and others accountable.

Dale
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
johnpostmd wrote:
Dan - did the elimination of alcohol reduce your incidence of a-fib? My brother has "both" and if effective in your case I could make a similar recommendation.

thanks, John

Not Dan, obviously, but as a cardiologist I have many athletes under my care with afib and there is little doubt that alcohol increases the risk of any arrhythmia (especially afib) without any other factors being present.

I was convinced about 10 years ago, before it was well known that afib was associated with endurance athletes, that I was seeing it more in my fit/trained/athletic patients and studies took a few years to finally bring it to light. 'Holiday heart', afib associated with alcohol, has been around since WAY before I went to med school.

Dale
(aka D. Toce MD FACC)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in. Did a dry January in 2017 and it was a positive experience, even though social situations were a little tough sometimes when it felt like everyone else was embibing. I substituted cranberry juice and club soda for my usual chardonnay, which will be my go-to this time around.
Quote Reply
Re: Join Us for No Alcohol 3.0, January 2018 [dtoce] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for joining and thanks for the clear explanation.

Welcome.

John

John H. Post, III, MD
Orthopedic Surgeon
Charlottesville, VA
Quote Reply

Prev Next