Prev Next
Re: Join Us for No Alcohol 3.0, January 2018 [johnpostmd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
why
In Reply To:
johnpostmd wrote:
We're going to do this again '16 and '17 being so successful. I can tell you from personal experience that for many of us, our relationship with alcohol is a little embarrassing. Even if you're about to have something serious like an operation, being open about the amount some of us drink - something important to know at that time - is difficult to accurately reveal. Even to your medical team whom you know won't tell anybody. They just can't.

The only rule is that for the month of January you abstain. No beer, no wine, nada. It's usually pointed out that in some social situation there's a perceived peer pressure to drink. You're not one of the gang if you don't. Well, I can tell you it's a piece of cake to be one of the gang and alcohol-free. Those of you who can take or leave alcohol can be the supporters, the crutches if you will, to those of us where this is going to be real work. But work with a positive outcome. If you've done this either of the past two Januarys, you know that the first 3 days are the hardest, especially day 2. Then, later, when you're in a situation, post-ride at Joe's house where you always down a couple of Kona Long Boards or perhaps the dinner at the nice restaurant with your in-laws where you're handed the wine menu before your butt has even had a chance to warm the seat, that you have the fortitude to just get a Pepsi.

Two years ago I was asked to write this piece on alcohol for IRONMAN and most of it is still applcable. http://www.ironman.com/...ol-free-january.aspx

So, if you are at all interested, it's easier if you don't have the dreaded booze in the house. Drink it this week, drop it off in your sister in Maryland's house. Something.

Best of luck to you. Best of luck to us.

John
Quote Reply
Re: Join Us for No Alcohol 3.0, January 2018 [Distance Dave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm still in.

Had a disastrous New Year's Eve with the girlfriend due to having a few drinks to celebrate. Yep, it was a disaster. But on the bright side, I am using that NYE fiasco as motivation to stay on the January goal and beyond.

Team Zoot-Texas, and Pickle Juice
Quote Reply
Re: Join Us for No Alcohol 3.0, January 2018 [Taugen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
late to the party, have been dry since November.

Just learned that my local supermarket (UK, sorry) is stocking a no-alcohol gin. That should be interesting.
Quote Reply
Re: Join Us for No Alcohol 3.0, January 2018 [abake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting! I have noticed increased sleep quality and duration already. Who knows how accurate sleep tracking apps are, but I got a "sleep quality" rating of 100% for the first time last night after using the app for 33 days now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Going to try and do this. Forty-six years old and I'm sure I haven't gone even one week without alcohol over the last 26 years of my life. My last drink was Christmas night so I have already made it 13 days without beer/booze. I've been tempted nearly every day since Christmas as I probably average a couple per night. That said, I think the first two weeks have been a bit easier than I thought it would be.

I have an appointment for a physical (first physical since, maybe, high school sports?) on Jan 31 and if I can get there 5+ weeks sans alcohol I would be very pleased.
Quote Reply
Re: Join Us for No Alcohol 3.0, January 2018 [parrothead1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
parrothead1 wrote:
Going to try and do this. Forty-six years old and I'm sure I haven't gone even one week without alcohol over the last 26 years of my life. My last drink was Christmas night so I have already made it 13 days without beer/booze. I've been tempted nearly every day since Christmas as I probably average a couple per night. That said, I think the first two weeks have been a bit easier than I thought it would be.

I have an appointment for a physical (first physical since, maybe, high school sports?) on Jan 31 and if I can get there 5+ weeks sans alcohol I would be very pleased.[/quot

Good luck!!
Quote Reply
Re: Join Us for No Alcohol 3.0, January 2018 [Art M.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am in
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sure, I'm in.

I've intermittently gone without drinking for ~6 months before (granted, not recently). Need to get back to a reasonable race weight for a stage race at the end of June (last stage is an 85 mile road race which finishes on a cat 1 climb (!) ).

I'll admit that I drink mostly out of peer pressure (although, I do enjoy a good chocolate stout).

---------------------------------------------------------
All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. ~Gandalf
Quote Reply
Re: Join Us for No Alcohol 3.0, January 2018 [Alaric83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Welcome.

And a well done to all for making it the first week. I know for many, this is just no big deal. But for others, it has been an effort, a true challenge, and I thank you for the emails and pms. Our collective hat is off to you. Well done. Tomorrow morning starts week 2. In an earlier post, one of us was having a difficult time and I suggested a diversion, like Buschs NA beer. The response was quick that maybe I should have put my suggestion in pink (or offered a motor oil cocktail?) You guys are great fun, keep up the good work, and if you need NA beer - like some of us - I promise not to tell. O'Doulls anybody?

Thank you to all.

John

John H. Post, III, MD
Orthopedic Surgeon
Charlottesville, VA
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is cool. For some reason, I stopped drinking from 1 Jan and then I saw this thread. So now more motivation to keep it going, at least throughout January. I've also abstained from any meat (except fish). Let's see what this actually does, if anything.

101Ironman Hacks & Newsletter: http://ironmanhacks.com/newsletter/

YouTube interviews with legends like Mark Allen, Dave Scott, many more: https://www.youtube.com/...s?sub_confirmation=1
Quote Reply
Re: Join Us for No Alcohol 3.0, January 2018 [Patterson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So as I posted earlier, I had a failure on Thursday. I had flown >6000 miles for an interview and at short notice they invited me out to dinner and ordered wine. Since then, though, I have been back on the challenge, and finding it really easy. My wife hasn joined me, and she is also doing fine.

So far I have been drinking Becks Blue, and it works wonders for me. I love the taste, and I think I just love holding that freezing cold glass bottle. I had my first ever O’Douls this week and really enjoyed it. It helped me sink the giant burger that I had accidentally ordered.

My wife found the no alcohol gin, and we bought her 8 little cans of pre mixed gin and tonic. It is actually very low rather than no alcohol (0.5%). Surprisingly she has found that what she really loves is the taste of the low sugar tonic water, rather than the G&T, so she is moving onto that.

Sleep is improved. So far that is all I can say for sure, but that is such a huge issue for me that if that is the only improvement I see for the month I will be absolutely over the moon.

Oh, and I actually went clean 30th and 31st as well (designated driver), but then I did have my failure evening to counterbalance that.

Keep up the great work everyone!
Last edited by: Misery: Jan 8, 18 1:45
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is the longest I have gone without any alcohol in quite a number of years, which is sad, and I'm very happy with the decision to do this. I feel that I'm already sleeping better and my mind is more clear. I weathered a birthday party with free-flowing beers on Saturday, which is a first. Should be able to make it the whole month at this rate. Thanks everyone for the motivation.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
its been an entertaining challenge. I've been making notes of when I "should" be drinking. I'm a good-beer drinker, so having a great pint every night is the obvious. after that, its when I'm bored, or stressed, or watching football. sitting down to an nfl game sans beer is very odd. not crazy, but out of habit.

no changes I can perceive otherwise. no change to sleep, exercise, weight, etc
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in, not a drop since New Years. Combination of some good workouts & not drinking have made for a much better nights sleep.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
January 7th, yesterday, is my equivalent of New Years Eve, so I start my January 8th to February 8th fast today. Its been a little unnerving to watch this thread, feel part of it, and yet sip cocktails through the week. Maybe like I imagine bringing a flask to an AA meeting, discreetly sipping, and thinking, yeah, I start next week. I have been more aware though throughout the week of them and I am looking forward to taking this break.
Quote Reply
Re: Join Us for No Alcohol 3.0, January 2018 [Elvis Runner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Made it through 8 days of the challenge with no issues. Big challenge tonight as my tri club is having its monthly meeting and the beer will be flowing freely. Will stick to club soda with a twist of lime. Curious as to whether anyone else has experienced weight gain since starting the challenge. The only change in my caloric intake is the elimination of alcohol (training volume has remained the same), and yet I am up two pounds since January 1. Would have thought that it would have gone the other direction.
Quote Reply
Re: Join Us for No Alcohol 3.0, January 2018 [Elvis Runner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+100!
Quote Reply
Re: Join Us for No Alcohol 3.0, January 2018 [Ken W] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ken W wrote:
Made it through 8 days of the challenge with no issues. Big challenge tonight as my tri club is having its monthly meeting and the beer will be flowing freely. Will stick to club soda with a twist of lime. Curious as to whether anyone else has experienced weight gain since starting the challenge. The only change in my caloric intake is the elimination of alcohol (training volume has remained the same), and yet I am up two pounds since January 1. Would have thought that it would have gone the other direction.

Maybe the liver weighs more when it is working unimpeded, in its intended capacity.
Quote Reply
Re: Join Us for No Alcohol 3.0, January 2018 [Ken W] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ken W wrote:

May want to think about what you’re eating in comparison to what you were eating before. Often, when people take a break from alcohol, the carbohydrate calories are made up through snacking or larger meals that’d typically be gained through drinking. If you’re eating to the same full stomach feeling you’d typically get when drinking, you’re likely consuming more calories.

That said, 2 actual pounds requires a 7000 surplus over what you’re burning through exercise and BMR. Chances are pretty good you’re just holding onto more water for whatever reason and it’ll eventually stabilize.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Day 8 for me and feeling like I'm at mile 134.4 and nothing short of a stroke will stop me now. Didn't want to count 1/1 on the technicality that I drank after midnight and it seems like Friday 2/2 will be a better day to celebrate the accomplishment. However, I don't know now... That celebration may be AF as well considering I just survived a gauntlet of temptations this last weekend in the mountains snowboarding and hot tubbing in addition to being my first AF weekend in probably 20+ years! Yesterday was the first day I didn't think about having a drink but everyday prior since day one was a struggle especially the drive home from work. Sleep is improved the last 4 nights with no more 2am trips to the pisser and I now have to set an alarm at 0430 to make workouts. Down 8 pounds to 226 but really let myself go this weekend with food as a compromise for other temptations. Plan to get the diet back on track as I feel less like I'm depriving myself of alcohol.

Keep up the good work everyone. You've got this!
Quote Reply
Re: Join Us for No Alcohol 3.0, January 2018 [Gonefishin5555] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gonefishin5555 wrote:
After failing New Year’s Day I am trying again. For weight loss I started year at 210 now 208.4 and looking for 199 by 3/1

Down to 204 this morning and I've worked out every day since 12/27. No drinks since my slip up on 1/1. Goal is to workout the rest of the week and take a day off from training Sunday. Korean BBQ sounds yummy right now.
Quote Reply
Re: Join Us for No Alcohol 3.0, January 2018 [Gonefishin5555] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Checking in. Haven't had a chance to check in on ST since this work week has started out busier than normal. weighed in yesterday. I was 195.5 on Monday morning, but I haven't been running a specific calorie count. I'm just trying to be sensible like normal. I haven't really noticed much of a difference so far in energy or sleep but I'm waiting to tell my coach about the challenge until after the month is over and see if he noticed anything in Training Peaks data. I made it through 2 stressful days without drinking. I did kinda cheat a little and had 2 sips of my wife's glass of wine on Saturday night when we went out for dinner. It definitely made the steak taste better but I still consider myself to be alcohol free. It definitely wasn't stress drinking and was a very enjoyable complement to my meal.

https://www.strava.com/athletes/23685202
Quote Reply
Re: Join Us for No Alcohol 3.0, January 2018 [pvolb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pvolb wrote:
Ken W wrote:

May want to think about what you’re eating in comparison to what you were eating before. Often, when people take a break from alcohol, the carbohydrate calories are made up through snacking or larger meals that’d typically be gained through drinking. If you’re eating to the same full stomach feeling you’d typically get when drinking, you’re likely consuming more calories.

That said, 2 actual pounds requires a 7000 surplus over what you’re burning through exercise and BMR. Chances are pretty good you’re just holding onto more water for whatever reason and it’ll eventually stabilize.
The only dietary change since January 1 was the elimination of alcohol (in my case, wine). I have been drinking quite a bit more water, however, and so perhaps it's just water weight. I will note that my 61 year old body is still readjusting after its first full (IMAZ) in mid-November. Went from the mid 150s in October to 146 on race day and have slowly been gaining back the weight since the race. I was at 150 on January 1 and 152 today, so perhaps my body is just working its way back to a more normal weight.
Quote Reply
Re: Join Us for No Alcohol 3.0, January 2018 [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
rayman54 wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
This one is easy. I do not drink, smoke or take any drugs, period. Why so many waste their money, and time on this stuff which adds zero value to ones life is beyond me.

+100

Guess there are 2 of us outsiders in life. :) I do not need peer pressure to do things that have zero value for health in my life.

You seem fun to be around....
Quote Reply
Re: Join Us for No Alcohol 3.0, January 2018 [Hammer Down] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anyways, going to jump in here and join the challenge a bit late in hopes that it helps me reach my Cat 1 goal for the season. Typically average 12-15 drinks per week. Since Christmas I've completely stopped keeping alcohol in the house. Did have about 10 beers Saturday but no drinking otherwise. Haven't seen much change in sleep or training but we'll see how it goes.
Quote Reply

Prev Next