Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Joe Skipper 60T 1X for Kona?
Quote | Reply

From FB he's running 60t 1X? *It will be a pink chain ring* Any other contenders doing 1X?

This helmet in White
Last edited by: Constantine: Sep 19, 18 12:41
Quote Reply
Re: Joe Skipper 60T 1X for Kona? [Constantine] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Probably more of a participant than contender.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He may not be the smartest guy out there. But what do I know.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He’ll be on the side of the road near Kawaihae with a flat tweeting about how long he’s been waiting for race support.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Which helmet is that?

"see the world as it is not as you want it to be"
Quote Reply
Re: Joe Skipper 60T 1X for Kona? [TizzleDK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Endura?
Quote Reply
Re: Joe Skipper 60T 1X for Kona? [TizzleDK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Endura helmet with a custom carbon tail taped on there. So, technically illegal.

Alex Arman

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've ridden 1x a few times on the big island (only 56t though). I'd say 60t is not necessary unless you have a strong tailwind coming down Hawi. In that case, you'd have a strong headwind going up Hawi and a 60t would be very very tough going...

Are you ready to do an Ultraman? | How I calculate Ironman race fueling | Strength Training for Athletes |
Quote Reply
Re: Joe Skipper 60T 1X for Kona? [doublea334] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The snarky nastiness is so quick in coming. Joe is a class act, and I wish him the best. He pushed through for a long time without a bike sponsor and has continued to hold his own against some top tier competition, especially when you consider the back injury that severely hampered him early doors this year. I am hoping that he rides his own race and breaks into the top 10. I would LOVE him to squeak into the top 5.
Quote Reply
Re: Joe Skipper 60T 1X for Kona? [Misery] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That has no bearing on the fact that a 60T 1x setup in Kona is exceptionally stupid.
Quote Reply
Re: Joe Skipper 60T 1X for Kona? [kileyay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HEY! This MAAAAAAAANNNNN Joe Skipper absolutely can turn a 60T chainring and he doesn't eeeeeeven THHIIIINK of a bail out 2x rig. You jealous haters. I applaud this brave man. I hope he goes 100 down Hawi and wins so you guys all get your pants in a twist.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just off the top of my head, if he ran a 30 or 32 rear cog, I think he would have enough gear for a strong pro rider to get up havi. Of course if it is a massive head wind, he will be doing 40 rpms's, but then he will be doing over a 100k the other way.

Talking about whenever it is smart or not is just pointless unless we know what his cluster is on back. Good chance he has smaller gears that some other pros with standard rings, say someone who is running a 44/19.. Find that guy, and I will chastise him...(-;
Quote Reply
Re: Joe Skipper 60T 1X for Kona? [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
Just off the top of my head, if he ran a 30 or 32 rear cog, I think he would have enough gear for a strong pro rider to get up havi. Of course if it is a massive head wind, he will be doing 40 rpms's, but then he will be doing over a 100k the other way.

Talking about whenever it is smart or not is just pointless unless we know what his cluster is on back. Good chance he has smaller gears that some other pros with standard rings, say someone who is running a 44/19.. Find that guy, and I will chastise him...(-;

Is it my turn to give you the everything you wrote on here is wrong spiel ;-)

It's Hawi...

If you have an 11 cassette and likely 11 gears, the largest rear you would have is a 21...
Quote Reply
Re: Joe Skipper 60T 1X for Kona? [Shambolic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you have an 11 cassette and likely 11 gears, the largest rear you would have is a 21... //

Well sure, that is a normal gear ratio for a rear cassette, but it doesnt have to be. You know how I know this, I look at my 9 speed MTB. I would assume if someone is going to run a 60 1 by, they would not run a near straight bloc in the rear, perhaps a few 2 to 3 tooth jumps, and then a couple bail out gears at the end. And you can still have your 11, pretty sure someone could build that ratio and make it work with most rear shifting...

Hell, in the old days I remember running an 11/26 with a lot less gears, so not sure what you are really talking about??
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shambolic wrote:
monty wrote:

Is it my turn to give you the everything you wrote on here is wrong spiel ;-)

It's Hawi...

If you have an 11 cassette and likely 11 gears, the largest rear you would have is a 21...

what are you talking about?? why not a 28 at least?
Quote Reply
Re: Joe Skipper 60T 1X for Kona? [Cookiebuilder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Starting from 11 + 11 gears is 21 is the smallest gear cassette you would have not a 19.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
An 11 speed 11-28 is super common. I have that on my bike. I think going to 32 is no problem. You don't need (or want in my opinion) single tooth jumps between all your cogs!!

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: Joe Skipper 60T 1X for Kona? [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You're all missing my point but yes I understand. I think 1X is stupid and I race with a 54/41 x 26 at Kona.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ooooohhhhh.....

I get it now.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think Joe is a very strong athlete and i have always admired his attention to detail on the Aero side of things - he is definitely NOT stupid.

I am surprised that with all the keen eyes on this thread though - no one noticed the new Endura trisuit? looks like a short sleeve version of the Encapsulator TT suit and its not the Road version, you can tell by the silicone chevrons... I want to know when THAT is available!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Joe Skipper 60T 1X for Kona? [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I guess a guy who came second in Taupo, Roth & Hamburg this season has an inkling of what he's doing. Let's wait and see on the day what kit he chooses & how he gets on. I reckon he'll cruise past Starky on the marathon ;)

29 years and counting
Quote Reply
Re: Joe Skipper 60T 1X for Kona? [MikeyC-anada] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MikeyC-anada wrote:
I think Joe is a very strong athlete and i have always admired his attention to detail on the Aero side of things - he is definitely NOT stupid.

So not having any kind flat kit (spare tubes, pit stop, etc) during a race and fully relying on race support isn't stupid??

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Joe Skipper 60T 1X for Kona? [Jorgan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He will be in the top 10
Quote Reply
Re: Joe Skipper 60T 1X for Kona? [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What makes you think he won't have his own flat support? He has a rear carrier which I would imagine carries his gear. All I was getting at was that he has been / still is a successful athlete and pays attention to the details! He also races to win as most pros should... I'm not advocating to rely solely on race support, but in Kona, as a pro, just giv'er and go for the W!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Joe Skipper 60T 1X for Kona? [Jorgan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 He has prowess

Jorgan wrote:
I guess a guy who came second in Taupo, Roth & Hamburg this season has an inkling of what he's doing. Let's wait and see on the day what kit he chooses & how he gets on. I reckon he'll cruise past Starky on the marathon ;)
Quote Reply

Prev Next