Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Jet 90 Rear vs. Disk [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. Looks great! I can't even tell that it is taped. I'll order on tomorrow! By the way, are you running the Bonty tires on those HEDs?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
By the way, I have the Flamme Rouge 60/90 now. If I buy a 90 front is the extra money worth it in you opinion?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So, the TT is too short to carry fluids...but you need a bento box? What's up with that? ;-)

"100% of the people who confuse correlation and causation end up dying."
Quote Reply
Re: Jet 90 Rear vs. Disk [valdlaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
By the way, I have the Flamme Rouge 60/90 now. If I buy a 90 front is the extra money worth it in you opinion?

Dunno...that's your decision ;-)

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
True, but is there anything tangible to be gained in terms of speed?
Quote Reply
Re: Jet 90 Rear vs. Disk [MOP_Mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
So, the TT is too short to carry fluids...but you need a bento box? What's up with that? ;-)

Don't you know that Bentos are fast? :-) Just ask Mark Cote (MITAerobike).

Since it's a TT I ride to from my house, the Bento is to hold my spare tube and CO2 inflator. I figure that's a better (and slightly more aero) way to carry it as opposed to a seat bag, which doesn't fit up too well with an Adamo saddle.

I take a bottle, but just stuff it down the front of the skinsuit and drop it off at the finish as I'm warming up.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I figure that's a better (and slightly more aero) way to carry it as opposed to a seat bag, which doesn't fit up too well with an Adamo saddle.

I rigged a micro flat bag behind the seat rails on my Adamo with a couple of velcro straps. :-)

"100% of the people who confuse correlation and causation end up dying."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
True, but is there anything tangible to be gained in terms of speed?

Well...the Hed drag charts show that at 10 deg of yaw there's up to an ~50g of drag reduction...which translates to ~0.5s/km.

http://www.hedcycling.com/...dynamics_technology/

Go look at the drag charts and then determine if you think you'll be spending more time in the 0-12.5 degree yaw range where the 90 has a fairly significant advantage, or more time above 12.5 deg of yaw where the 60 is only slightly lower drag.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks Tom, I asked the question poorly. I meant is there a tangible advantage between the Flamme Rouge Jet90 and the standard Jet90.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Thanks Tom, I asked the question poorly. I meant is there a tangible advantage between the Flamme Rouge Jet90 and the standard Jet90.

Hmmm...$200 to save 39g on the front wheel? Ummm...not in my book.

Oh yeah, and I'm not "buying" the ceramic bearings having any measurably less rolling drag ;-)

But...some people like having "the best" (i.e. the "top of the line") no matter the cost...so, who am I to judge? :-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Thanks. Looks great! I can't even tell that it is taped. I'll order on tomorrow! By the way, are you running the Bonty tires on those HEDs?

I forgot to answer this...in those pics there's a Bonty AW19 on the front and an old Michelin ProRace Light on the rear (in anticipation of the upcoming road race). As of this afternoon, there are AW 19s front and back.

BTW, don't forget that my Jet 90s are NOT C2 rims...they're the narrow rims.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the advice.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
am I just not seeing it, or do you go sans-PT on that?
Quote Reply
Re: Jet 90 Rear vs. Disk [lrobb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
am I just not seeing it, or do you go sans-PT on that?

Yes...that's "sans-PT", but not "sans-PM"...it's tough to see from the NDS, but take a close look at the crank spider :-)

edit: Here's what the DS looks like:

Last edited by: Tom A.: Sep 8, 09 10:07
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
Tom:

How does the cover look with the tape? Not to be prissy about it but can you make it look reasonably good with tape without mounting holes? Any problems with this setup? I assume you just leave it on all the time.

You tell me...here are a couple of "action shots" from last month's local TT:

Yeah...I leave it on there unless I have a reason to take it off...for example, like for a road race I had scheduled last weekend. In fact, I just put it back on there this afternoon...took all of 10-15 minutes to do so.

The setup seems fairly sturdy...then again, it's not like I've ridden it in rain and stuff ;-)
Tom:

I ordered the wheelcover today sans fasteners. Is there any trick to taping the thing on? I assume you just go around the outside edge with black electricians tape. I can't tell from your photos that you even have tape on there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I ordered the wheelcover today sans fasteners. Is there any trick to taping the thing on? I assume you just go around the outside edge with black electricians tape. I can't tell from your photos that you even have tape on there.

Here's what I do:

1. Starting on the DS, I place the cover over the freehub and center it. I then take 3 to 4 small pieces of electrical tape and place them spaced out around the edge of the cover to hold it in place.

2. I then flip the wheel over and place 3 or 4 pieces of packing tape over the DS spokes and against the backside of the DS cover. This holds the portion of the cover nearest the cassette close to the spokes and makes it less likely that the cassette, chain, or derailleur cage will rub on the cover. I learned that trick from Ken Lehner (Old and Haggard).

3. I then turn the wheel back over and run a strip of electrical tape around the edge of the cover, picking up the initial pieces I placed as I go around. This might be overly "geeky", but I make sure that I go around the cover in the direction opposite the rotation direction. This is so that the cut edge of the tape isn't "presented" to the air flow.

4. Lastly, I turn the wheel over and repeat steps 1 and 3 (skipping #2, of course) on the NDS cover.

This is the tape I use. It's relatively expensive, but it's good stuff. It lays down easy, has the right amount of stretch, and the adhesive is solid. I learned that tip from Greg Steele (gregclimbs).

I hope that helps :-)

Last edited by: Tom A.: Sep 9, 09 6:47
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for tip #2 (Tape on the inside of DS cover to hold it against the spokes). It's much appreciated.

I find that it's much easier to mount the cover and keep it centered by using tape instead of screws (I've been following nearly the same method as you). However, until now, I "had" to put screws in to avoid any cassette rub... etc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So what are the disadvantages of using fasteners instead of just tape? If you use just tape, do you have any fears of riding in very hot temps or in the rain, where the stick of the tape might be compromised?

Thanks,
Victor

================================
blog
twitter
Quote Reply
Re: Jet 90 Rear vs. Disk [Bell Head] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
So what are the disadvantages of using fasteners instead of just tape? If you use just tape, do you have any fears of riding in very hot temps or in the rain, where the stick of the tape might be compromised?

Thanks,
Victor

IME, the fasteners tend to slightly "warp" the covers...the purely taped covers end up much smoother overall. I would tape the edges of the covers anyway for aerodynamic reasons, so I found the fasteners to be a bit of a "belt and suspenders" setup.

After seeing Jens' (ST's Jens) 808 wheel with only tape attaching it (he taped over the fastener holes) and hearing his success with it, I decided to give it a shot.

Part of the reason I use the "high quality" 3M tape is to have less "fears" about how well it would hold up under hot conditions and/or wet. I haven't subjected it to wet yet, but hot doesn't appear to be an issue.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the detailed instructions. Sounds like a solid setup.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

If you look around, you can find tape with different temperature ratings. The low temperature tape tends to lose adhesion when it's real hot....
Quote Reply
Re: Jet 90 Rear vs. Disk [jens] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
If you look around, you can find tape with different temperature ratings. The low temperature tape tends to lose adhesion when it's real hot....

See?...I'm still learning from you ;-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Da' 3M stuff works well down to at least 3C - who knows what windchill?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I found a 10 pack of electrical tape at home depot, same roll length as the 3M, for $5 or so. It's held on for several races, including one that was cool pouring rain, and two that were warm (low 80s). Didn't notice any loosening.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom:

Mounted the disk cover on the Jet90 and put another Jet90 on the front and works great except I had to put a washer on the the non-drive side dropout to fit my transition as the disk bulges out on that side when compared to the non-drive side. Is this right or am I missing something? One side is basically flat while the other is convex. Anyway, seems to work great as tis past weekend I set a pr on the bike with a 24.3 average, which is pretty good for my ability. Thanks for your help.
Last edited by: valdlaw: Sep 14, 09 20:55
Quote Reply

Prev Next