Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Javier Gomez to race Ironman Cairns June 10
Quote | Reply
IThis came over my Twitter feed.

The focus of the sporting world will be on Cairns on 10 June with the announcement that five time ITU World Triathlon Champion, X-terra World Champion and Olympic silver medallist Javier Gomez will make his IRONMAN debut at the Cairns Airport IRONMAN Cairns Asia-Pacific Championship.
Gomez, the current IRONMAN 70.3 World Champion and a force in the world of short course triathlon for more than a decade, has also announced his intention to race the IRONMAN World Championships in 2018.
The Cairns Airport IRONMAN Cairns Asia-Pacific Championship is shaping up to be one of the highlights of the 2018 IRONMAN calendar with Gomez joining three time IRONMAN World Champion Mirinda Carfrae in using Cairns as a vital part of their Kona preparation.
http://austrimag.com.au/...race-ironman-cairns/
Quote Reply
Re: Javier Gomez to race Ironman Cairns June 10 [Halvard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Halvard wrote:
IThis came over my Twitter feed.

The focus of the sporting world will be on Cairns on 10 June with the announcement that five time ITU World Triathlon Champion, X-terra World Champion and Olympic silver medallist Javier Gomez will make his IRONMAN debut at the Cairns Airport IRONMAN Cairns Asia-Pacific Championship.
Gomez, the current IRONMAN 70.3 World Champion and a force in the world of short course triathlon for more than a decade, has also announced his intention to race the IRONMAN World Championships in 2018.
The Cairns Airport IRONMAN Cairns Asia-Pacific Championship is shaping up to be one of the highlights of the 2018 IRONMAN calendar with Gomez joining three time IRONMAN World Champion Mirinda Carfrae in using Cairns as a vital part of their Kona preparation.
http://austrimag.com.au/...race-ironman-cairns/

Meanwhile everyone else planning to race is now scrambling to get into Brazil. While Lionel Sanders just threw his hands up in exaltation and licked his lips at the possibility to go head-to-head with Javier at IMWC and redeem his WC 70.3 defeat.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Javier Gomez to race Ironman Cairns June 10 [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why is everyone scrambling to get into Brazil? I assume you are talking about Pros. Is that to get championship points at a venue that he is not at?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This gonna be good! I don't think Gomez is entering unless he is fairly confident of winning the big one.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Javier Gomez to race Ironman Cairns June 10 [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
Why is everyone scrambling to get into Brazil? I assume you are talking about Pros. Is that to get championship points at a venue that he is not at?

Slightly joking, but if I was going for the win at Cairns I would be slightly concerned with my chances with Javier in the race. Brazil is the South American Championships a few weeks before Cairns.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kona is going to be VERY interesting this year with Gomez there. Really curious to see how he does on June 10th. Crowie didn't win Kona on his first attempt and neither did Jan, but they were in contention, this is going to be REALLY interesting!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
very curious to see how the bike goes. at 70.3 worlds his swim allowed him to take it easy on the bike until the big train caught him, then he just sat in the rest of the way. the IM bike is long enough to where he'll have to do some work at some point.
Quote Reply
Re: Javier Gomez to race Ironman Cairns June 10 [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
very curious to see how the bike goes. at 70.3 worlds his swim allowed him to take it easy on the bike until the big train caught him, then he just sat in the rest of the way. the IM bike is long enough to where he'll have to do some work at some point.

Totally agree with this, I don't think he comes off the bike in first, it's how far down he is after the bike leg and also how he holds up for the entire marathon.
Quote Reply
Re: Javier Gomez to race Ironman Cairns June 10 [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:

Meanwhile everyone else planning to race is now scrambling to get into Brazil.

lol. Gotta be a scary prospect. I'm assuming he's going for the guaranteed one shot KQ with the win? But on the other hand, seeing as it's his first IM, it might be the best chance the pro's have of beating him. If Mo Farah can misfire a bit in his first marathon, there's always hope.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IM Brasil is no longer South American Championship.

for 2018 slots, was IM Mar del PLata (Argentina) in Dec 17

and for slots 2019, it will be IM Mar de Plata also, in Dec 18.
Quote Reply
Re: Javier Gomez to race Ironman Cairns June 10 [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would actually think it's the opposite especially if he's front of pack swimmer. Then it's simply riding the train, he wouldn't need to attack or do work. Sit in for as long as they let you smiling at them, especially if his run is there.

ETA: Being world class swimmer and world class runner, means you get far more advantages and ability to use others more than having to put yourself in the hurt locker on the bike. At that level there likely isnt enough juice for him to do it, to make it worth it if there really wont be an huge time gap from it. Then your basically only doing more work then needed.

Now of course world class runner is relative so far becasue we've not seen him do a full. So we dont really know, just going off assumption it'll be there.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Apr 6, 18 9:18
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You'd have to think running a 2:40 or so IM marathon in his first one should be pretty doable. He has run several 70.3's in 1:09-1:10, and as long as the bike isn't overdone he'd have to be the strong favorite, nearly regardless of the field.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Re: Javier Gomez to race Ironman Cairns June 10 [Barlow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He is already guaranteed entry and just needs to validate.
Burgs is racing so he will go hard on the swim and guessing Gomez will take his heels. Then either he will let Josh go or stay with him. Josh ran well last year running 2:53 but if Gomez goes 2:40 or below (which I would bet on) he will need a monster bike and a better run!
If I remember the rules correctly the guaranteed slot rolls down, so if Burgs is 2nd and Gomez wins, josh has his Kona ticket.

When it comes to Kona, Gomez is imo a strong favorite, he is basically a faster Lange and wouldn’t be surprised if he goes mid 2:3x

Terrible Tuesday’s Triathlon
Last edited by: oscaro: Apr 6, 18 9:48
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
one thing's for sure: this gomez chap sounds like he's quite good at sports.

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Re: Javier Gomez to race Ironman Cairns June 10 [oscaro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't know if we can say he is faster than Lange considering he has never done the IM distance, however I think his Kona race strategy could be pretty simple - just use as little energy as possible to come in to T2 with or ahead of Lange and then find out who is faster at the IM run leg. Of course the risk there is that the guys up front find a few extra minutes on the bike/run and you don't get the win, however you would very likely find the podium with that strategy if his run speed translates well to IM.

"It's good enough for who it's for" - Grandpa Wayne
Quote Reply
Re: Javier Gomez to race Ironman Cairns June 10 [flynnzu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well he is faster than Lange over 5k-hm so pretty sure he is faster over the marathon. Lange is a 29-low guy where as Gomez is mid 28. Normally some would need a few runs to get everything right, but Gomez is so meticulous I don’t think he needs it

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
oscaro wrote:
Well he is faster than Lange over 5k-hm so pretty sure he is faster over the marathon. Lange is a 29-low guy where as Gomez is mid 28. Normally some would need a few runs to get everything right, but Gomez is so meticulous I don’t think he needs it

i also think people are underestimating his swim - he'll be comfortably front-pack.

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That qualification method doesn’t start until the 2019 qualifying season. For 2018 it is still point accumulation. Gomez will only need to validate as 70.3 champion though.

Quote | Reply
According to Triathlete.com he only needs to validate, but they could of course be wrong. http://www.triathlete.com/...cation-system_309698
Either way, he already has more than enough kpr to qualify so he just need to finish in order to get his slot.

Quote Reply
Re: Javier Gomez to race Ironman Cairns June 10 [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah Gomez has repeatedly gone sub 16 for 1500m so I doubt he could be dropped by anyone except Varga. Burgs went 47 last year, guessing they will do the same this year

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think no better than 5th for Gomez. Will struggle on the bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Javier Gomez to race Ironman Cairns June 10 [flynnzu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The strategy that wins kona nearly every time, with a few outliers like stadler
Quote Reply
Re: Javier Gomez to race Ironman Cairns June 10 [MTRIB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MTRIB wrote:
IM Brasil is no longer South American Championship.

for 2018 slots, was IM Mar del PLata (Argentina) in Dec 17

and for slots 2019, it will be IM Mar de Plata also, in Dec 18.

Thanks for the heads-up.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Slightly joking, but if I was going for the win at Cairns I would be slightly concerned with my chances with Javier in the race.
gonna be interesting to see how he will manage but so far he seems to manage new distance really good. Podium first race? Top 5 Kona?
Quote Reply
Re: Javier Gomez to race Ironman Cairns June 10 [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Obviously this is not hard evidence, but I think Javier has been training the house down in terms of bike mileage and strength. There was a photo on instagram not too long ago that showed his thighs have grown exponentially.

Team Zoot 2023
Quote Reply

Prev Next