Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Javier Gómez, World Champ again
Quote | Reply
While I can agree that it was not the strongest field, what Javier has achieved in 7 days is remarkable. Racing at top level in Bermuda after practically one year off ITU racing, and then becoming WC (for the 9th time) in front of a home crowd speaks lots about the guy.

5x ITU, Xterra, 2x 70.3 and now ITU LD

To me, (consistency is where it is at) he is GOAT already, but I really hope to see him back at Kona one day, a win there and discussion will be over... Olympics? He’s got a silver already, up there with the best.

Sr. Salitre
Quote Reply
Re: Javier Gómez, World Champ again [SrSalitre] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I like gomez but who did he get that silver to? There can only be one GOAT and right now that is very, very much up to debate and it seems be between Jan and Ali for now and if Ali takes Kona, then he's it.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Re: Javier Gómez, World Champ again [hadukla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hadukla wrote:
Yeah, I like gomez but who did he get that silver to? There can only be one GOAT and right now that is very, very much up to debate and it seems be between Jan and Ali for now and if Ali takes Kona, then he's it.

It's definitely up for debate. Jan is so far behind those guys in short course, that if either one of AB or JG win Kona it's over. Barring that (and it's entirely likely neither one ever does) it's still a debate between the three. Some people are going to say AB has the wins that matter most, others will counter with Javi's consistency and ability to dominate across all distances + xterra. For my money, if everyone's career stopped now, I'm going with Javi as the GOAT.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gomez is a total badass. And from all accounts, seems to be a very cool person to boot.
Quote Reply
Re: Javier Gómez, World Champ again [hadukla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AB has done nothing so far in 2 seasons in long distance. Two olimpic golds, yes, but who has dominated the most competitive field for years? How many ITU seasons has dominated AB?

That is not the GOAT in my opinion.

Sr. Salitre
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SrSalitre wrote:
AB has done nothing so far in 2 seasons in long distance. Two olympic golds, yes, but who has dominated the most competitive field for years? How many ITU seasons has dominated AB?

That is not the GOAT in my opinion.

How many times have Gomez and A Brownlee raced each other over a 70.3? What was the result?
I would say Frodo has to be the best of the modern era. 2x Kona, 2x70.3 worlds and the Olympics, they are the pinnacle of each event. He also has the fastest time over a long course race, whatever that is worth.

I can't rate winning the ITU series as highly as many here do, when so many top athletes miss most of the season through choice. I mean Mola is a great athlete, and he is the 3x ITU world champion. He isn't exactly in the discussion as one of the best of all time though, nor will he be if he wins this season and next too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are we talking just short course here? (In which case why are people name dropping Frodo into the conversation?)

If not why is Mark Allan not getting mentioned? Or even Dave Scott?

I agree though, Javi is most definitely in any conversation for a GOAT and what he did in Bermuda is simply staggering.

I believe the nay sayers will always throw a massive question mark over him though when it comes to Ironman.

Question....

If you had to bet your house on either Gomez winning Tokyo next year, or Kona what would it be???
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Frodeno is the GOAT.

Olympic Champion
Multiple Ironman Champion
Multiple 70.3 Champion

Its not about who's hot right now and who isn't its about results. Gomez is good, hes consistent, he's versatile but he isn't the GOAT. Not an olympic champion, not a kona champion.

2nd Place would be Mark Allen.

Inside The Big Ring: Podcast & Coaching

Quote Reply
Re: Javier Gómez, World Champ again [Jackets] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jackets wrote:
If you had to bet your house on either Gomez winning Tokyo next year, or Kona what would it be???

I don't think he'd win either... but i'd pick Tokyo.

Quote Reply
Re: Javier Gómez, World Champ again [Brandes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
x2
Quote Reply
Re: Javier Gómez, World Champ again [Brandes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brandes wrote:
Frodeno is the GOAT.

Olympic Champion
Multiple 70.3 Champion

Its not about who's hot right now and who isn't its about results. Gomez is good, hes consistent, he's versatile but he isn't the GOAT. Not an olympic champion, not a kona champion.

I'm gob smacked anyone could rate Frodo above Mark Allan.

Quite frankly anyone rating Frodo as the GOAT might need to watch Gomez and the Brownlees finish over a minute on him regularly in ITU and watch how the last two Kona's have gone.

If Frodo won another couple of Kona's and a 70.3 Worlds I think he'd be in the convo with Mark Allan and Dave Scott.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Super weak field. But you can only beat who turns up.

Rhymenocerus wrote:
I think everyone should consult ST before they do anything.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agree. Mark Allen is above Frodo.

Rhymenocerus wrote:
I think everyone should consult ST before they do anything.
Quote Reply
Re: Javier Gómez, World Champ again [ClayDavis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ClayDavis wrote:
hadukla wrote:

It's definitely up for debate. Jan is so far behind those guys in short course, that if either one of AB or JG win Kona it's over. Barring that (and it's entirely likely neither one ever does) it's still a debate between the three. Some people are going to say AB has the wins that matter most, others will counter with Javi's consistency and ability to dominate across all distances + xterra. For my money, if everyone's career stopped now, I'm going with Javi as the GOAT.
Agreed... Jan's gold was a stroke of luck IMO on the right day. He was hardly a force in ITU but is definitely more dominant at half/full distances. I think many that put him as GOAT have only seen him race the Iron and half iron distances.

I'm with you as Gomez based on consistency and wins at various distances... AB is a close second and Jan is definitely a top guy at the half/full distance but not across the sport including ITU.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I cannot say if pizza or ice cream or chocolate is more delicous.

And I can also not say if Frodeno, Ali or Gomez is the GOAT. All three of them are incredible athletes and well rounded in the swim, bike and run. Alistair can turn up really fit when it matters most and he also changed the dynamics of short course racing. Gomez is very consistent and can race at a high level all year for many years. Frodeno obviously has his strength in long course and brought it to another level but he could still win an Olympic gold.

10k - 30:48 / half - 1:06:40
Quote Reply
Re: Javier Gómez, World Champ again [PJC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PJC wrote:
Agree. Mark Allen is above Frodo.

Also agree. There was no Olympics when Mark was racing, but he won EVERYTHING, from Oly WC, Ironman, Nice how many times in a row?, Powerman......even against the best duathletes in the world, he crushed them all. GOAT for sure, but many don't go back far enough in the sport to see such greatness.
Quote Reply
Re: Javier Gómez, World Champ again [ggeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
While Mark was the greatest, he raced at a time with less competition. He did not have Frodeno,Brownlee’s and a Gomez to compete against. I am just saying it was easier to win every race.
Greatest of All Time? Mark was at his time, well, after Dave taught him IM pacing 😜. Remember Mark only beat Dave once in Kona compared to Dave’s 5 victories over Mark.
Gomez is great, but winning the ITU LD World’s against a weak field added nothing to his legacy.
I would give Frodeno my GOAT vote as of today, but I am sure there will be better.

Team Zoot So Cal
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow these guys use GOAT way too loosely. It's really not a phrase designed to be used on an everyday basis and definitely not meant for those who are in the middle of their careers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Both of these points are not valid. Frodeno has accomplished more than Gomez and Brownlee at every discipline. Brownlee is amazing, one of the best at ITU... but not triathlon. Also, Frodeno won the Olympics and Gomez has not. Its about winning the biggest races. Gomez is also amazing but hasn't won kona or the olympics. Discrediting the fact that one man has won an olympic, kona, 70.3 gold is pretty insane...

Jackets wrote:
Brandes wrote:
Frodeno is the GOAT.

Olympic Champion
Multiple 70.3 Champion

I'm gob smacked anyone could rate Frodo above Mark Allan.

Quite frankly anyone rating Frodo as the GOAT might need to watch Gomez and the Brownlees finish over a minute on him regularly in ITU and watch how the last two Kona's have gone.

If Frodo won another couple of Kona's and a 70.3 Worlds I think he'd be in the convo with Mark Allan and Dave Scott.

Quote Reply
Re: Javier Gómez, World Champ again [PJC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hard to compare this which is why i hate the discussion of triathlon GOATS from different areas, thats why I said Allen is 2nd because he was a complete machine at every discipline and unfortunately the olympics were not in his time as an athlete. Him and Frodo are two of the best.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quite frankly anyone rating Frodo as the GOAT might need to watch Gomez and the Brownlees finish over a minute on him regularly in ITU and watch how the last two Kona's have gone. //

Maybe they were watching the "latest" 70.3 world championship, the one where he beat the best Brownlee and Gomez, on the run too. It was of course not a legit 1;06. but to keep it in perspective, he did beat the two best runners in the sport on the biggest day, so maybe a 1;07 high? I think you too easily write off an olympic gold medal winner, multiple Kona champion, and 70.3 champion. I think he does need one or two more races in this category to surpass Mark, unless Gomez of course can figure out how to get that gold medal, or a Kona championship. This WC he just won was a chip shot for closest to the hole, not surprised he crushed everyone, that was there...Most big 70.3's are harder to win than the ITU LD WC..
Quote Reply
Re: Javier Gómez, World Champ again [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's a pity Aliaster wasn't run fit for that 70.3, it would have been an even better win for Frodo!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
But not as hard as to win an ITU WTS WC. Gomez has won multiple whereas Frodo has never even come close. I grant that Gomez only has a Silver medal, so that is a slight knock on his CV.

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Elliot | Cycle2Tri.com
Sponsors: SciCon | | Every Man Jack
Quote Reply
Re: Javier Gómez, World Champ again [CPT Chaos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
But not as hard as to win an ITU WTS WC//

Ya, but that is a whole year of series racing now, is it not? A guy could never get better than 3rd and possibly win the WC? I mean if that was such an important title, why is Mola not even in this conversation? And to just be up front here, I'm arguing points for Frodo just because they are there, and folks seem to want to ignore them for some reason. I actually like Gomez for all time greatest(on deck), but he and Frodo just need to fill in one or two gaps in their results resume to take it over from the Grip..Gomez is certainly turning out to be the most resilient racer in all the disciplines. Hope he can go a few more years like Mark did, late 30's for a full blown career..

Speaking of which, what are we to think about Crowie and Cameron still tearing it up at 46!! Certainly not what they used to be, but Potts and a few others are stretching out those male pro careers like no others have done since the beginning of getting paid. Couple women have made the stretch, but not with this much success against the current crop of competitors.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
But not as hard as to win an ITU WTS WC//

Ya, but that is a whole year of series racing now, is it not? A guy could never get better than 3rd and possibly win the WC?.

In theory this is a possibility, but in practice, with the crop of ITU men on the scene now NOW WAY.
Quote Reply

Prev Next