Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: January Swim Thread [Trexlera] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trexlera wrote:
gary p wrote:
Swam a meet Sunday. Went 20:53 in the 1650y free. That was 20 seconds slower than my goal, but 24 seconds faster than my previous best. Been doing lots of long sets (+/- 25 reps) of steady-pace 100's on 15-20 seconds rest, hoping my pace there would translate to a sustainable race pace for the 1650. That turned out to be a little optimistic.

Depending on how much rest, that *could* be a reasonable proxy. Did you start on pace and die, or hold an even pace that was a second per hundred slower?
I think some longer intervals are also really useful, even if they wind up being slower than mile pace. A favorite set of mine is 10x300. This complements rather than replacing the 100s.

Leading up to the race, I was able to do 25 X 100 at < 1:14 on a 1:35 interval. I once was even able to do 20 of them on a 1:30 interval. Was hoping, when adding time for a 4th flip turn, that would translate to a sustainable 1:15/100 pace for the 1650. Wasn't really the case. I was already over 1:15/100 by the 300y mark. Went 1:16.50 on the 5th 100, and kept in the 1:16.5-1:16.9 range though the 1000 mark. I was a little more ragged on the third 500, with 100 splits between 1:16.5 and 1:17.9 . Went 1:16.4 on the 16th hundred, and closed with a final 50 of :35.20.

Long story short, it wasn't the optimal race execution, but it was far from a "go out fast and die" train wreck. The guy in the lane next to me was a good example of that; he was 6 seconds ahead of me at the 500 mark, but I caught him by ~900, and finished 21 seconds ahead of him.

Now that I have an actual benchmark race pace (last time I raced the 1650 was 2 years ago, and I wasn't really training for that distance at that time), I'll definitely be noodling with different distances going forward. I suspect I'll find 16-20 x 150 on ~20 seconds rest is going to be a better proxy for my actual average pace from 500-1500

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Last edited by: gary p: Jan 24, 18 12:09
Quote Reply
Re: January Swim Thread [gary p] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Now that I have an actual benchmark race pace (last time I raced the 1650 was 2 years ago, and I wasn't really training for that distance at that time), I'll definitely be noodling with different distances going forward. I suspect I'll find 16-20 x 150 on ~20 seconds rest is going to be a better proxy for my actual average pace from 500-1500 //

First of all nice swims all around. And I dont think you have to change you proxy set at all, in fact you just validated the 100's set. Now you know that you need to add 2 to 3 seconds to the time you do on that set, so going forward just get it done in faster times. You could play around with the rest and such, but then you will have to race again to validate those times. If I were you I would do the 20X100's on the 1;30 as a staple set. Then maybe try 10 on the 1;25 and 5 on the 1;20, and go into your next race with those 3 averages having been done on several occasions.

You can do 150's, 200's 500's too, but it is just so easy to bang out 100's, especially if you are in a crowded lane or even swimming by yourself. And you would get a nice spread of average times with those 3 sets...Keep us updated on the progress!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gary p wrote:
Trexlera wrote:
gary p wrote:
Swam a meet Sunday. Went 20:53 in the 1650y free. That was 20 seconds slower than my goal, but 24 seconds faster than my previous best. Been doing lots of long sets (+/- 25 reps) of steady-pace 100's on 15-20 seconds rest, hoping my pace there would translate to a sustainable race pace for the 1650. That turned out to be a little optimistic.

Depending on how much rest, that *could* be a reasonable proxy. Did you start on pace and die, or hold an even pace that was a second per hundred slower?
I think some longer intervals are also really useful, even if they wind up being slower than mile pace. A favorite set of mine is 10x300. This complements rather than replacing the 100s.

Leading up to the race, I was able to do 25 X 100 at < 1:14 on a 1:35 interval. I once was even able to do 20 of them on a 1:30 interval. Was hoping, when adding time for a 4th flip turn, that would translate to a sustainable 1:15/100 pace for the 1650. Wasn't really the case. I was already over 1:15/100 by the 300y mark. Went 1:16.50 on the 5th 100, and kept in the 1:16.5-1:16.9 range though the 1000 mark. I was a little more ragged on the third 500, with 100 splits between 1:16.5 and 1:17.9 . Went 1:16.4 on the 16th hundred, and closed with a final 50 of :35.20.

Long story short, it wasn't the optimal race execution, but it was far from a "go out fast and die" train wreck. The guy in the lane next to me was a good example of that; he was 6 seconds ahead of me at the 500 mark, but I caught him by ~900, and finished 21 seconds ahead of him.

Interesting. I guess you'll have to keep seeing. I would have thought you could do 1:15s as well, but sometimes it's an experiment. Were you in a tech suit? I'd say it's much more likely to be a good proxy with that boost. That's probably another way of saying that yeah, you're likely to be a second or two slower.
It's also important to say: practicing that race and being *well rested* is a big deal, especially in the 1650. If it was toward the end of your day, or you were tired going in, you're definitely not going to be able to hit your optimal times.
Quote Reply
Re: January Swim Thread [Trexlera] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trexlera wrote:
Were you in a tech suit? I'd say it's much more likely to be a good proxy with that boost. That's probably another way of saying that yeah, you're likely to be a second or two slower.
It's also important to say: practicing that race and being *well rested* is a big deal, especially in the 1650. If it was toward the end of your day, or you were tired going in, you're definitely not going to be able to hit your optimal times.

Good points. It was my first race of the day, but I was not shaved and wore a standard poly jammer. I did my regular weekly volume, but it was more front end loaded than usual; I only did a ~1/2 distance workout Friday and a warm-up Saturday. I guess you could say I was kinda rested, but not really. When I did my warm up Sunday morning, I certainly didn't have anything near that full-tapered "Dis gonna be FAST" feeling. You're probably right that this set is a good proxy for rested/shaved/tech-suited potential and that's a very good reason to keep it in the rotation. I did 16x150 today, and that correlated a lot better to my recent "in-season" race pace.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice work Gary! I have been swimming daily but have not reported back here. Last few weeks I think I have moved the gains of my underwater dolphin to a harder kick for my fly. I have gotten to the point at the full 25m length of pool dolphin kicking underwater without fins is not really a question of if I will make it, its just "how hard will it feel" and that just depends on rest. Also 1x per week I have doing continuous 1000m fly-free as 25m sprint fly-25m recovery fly-25m sprint free-25m recovery free....repeat 10 times. It feels a bit like being in a crit race with the yoyo effort....no doubt a great way to jack up fitness for a 5K run or 20 min FTP test if I was doing the other sports. I have also been doing so 400's with large paddles as 25m sprint-25m recovery. Also some fun 100's sprint as 50 fly-50 free with large paddles and fins....that's a blast. I will actually try to do some fun sets of 200m IM with the fins and paddles just to play around with feeling like an actually fast swimmer
Quote Reply
Re: January Swim Thread [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Monty and crew. For your back stroke, are you guys kicking 6 beat generally with a hard kick every 3rd to sync with arm entry? I am trying to figure that one out. Maybe I should do some with fins on so I can really focus on that timing and not think so much about the pull. Perhaps my timing is just off which is getting in the way of pulling harder and more frequently?
Quote Reply
Re: January Swim Thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nope. all beats steady rhythm. You don't really want to focus on your legs doing backstroke, just let them kick. the magic happens in shoulder rotation, catch, and head position.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: January Swim Thread [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
7.1 mi run 65:02
675 yd swim

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: January Swim Thread [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
15 x 300y @ 4:00

1-6 free
7-10 free with snorkel
11 snorkel and paddles
12-14 paddles
15 swim

4500y in 60 minutes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dr. Tigerchik wrote:
675 yd swim

OK OK....I'm going to beat on this thread again. Is this thread supposed to be about bragging rights about workouts and feats of strength, or are we going to actually learn about swimming from each other. Posting workouts without talking about what the whole point of the workout was all about seems to make the thread less interactive. Sorry for beating on you, but there is a training log to just enter workouts....can we have some discussion.

OK back to Jason....backstroke, small and fast kicks and let that just follow shoulder rotation. Where do my eyes/head need to point to....straight up? Does my head stay 100% fixed or does it rotate a bit to the side I am entering on? It may be my neck mobility pulling my head a bit over to the side I am entering on.

On a feats of strength note, today's workout was 5x200m as 100m fly/100m free on 4 min. I was trying to really work the fly kick hard and the freestyle pull hard trying to use my core and legs to drive my fly stroke and trying to use my pull and hip rotation to drive my free stroke. Breathing pattern for fly was once ever second stroke and same for free, so free was almost double the breathing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dr. Tigerchik wrote:
Quote:
675 yd swim
OK OK....I'm going to beat on this thread again. Is this thread supposed to be about bragging rights about workouts and feats of strength, or are we going to actually learn about swimming from each other. Posting workouts without talking about what the whole point of the workout was all about seems to make the thread less interactive. Sorry for beating on you, but there is a training log to just enter workouts....can we have some discussion.
I swam 650 yards of freestyle then kicked 25 to cool down :-)

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dr. Tigerchik wrote:
Dr. Tigerchik wrote:
Quote:

675 yd swim

I swam 650 yards of freestyle then kicked 25 to cool down :-)

Is that all we get? No details about what you worked on? Just mindless swimming with nothing you were working on? That's a runner mentality!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The reasoning behind my workout of 4500y:

1) mostly aerobic or higher-end aerobic, since yesterday was a short sprint workout.
2) aerobic because I wanted to work on something that I should have been applying for a long time, but haven't. During part of yesterday's workout, I felt a bit spry, and applied a technique that was reinforced when I was in the weight room on Tuesday. I did a set of lat pulls, and reminded myself to keep my shoulders down and back, instead of extending my shoulders. The idea is to activate the lats on the motion, and not the start the motion with the relatively weaker smaller muscles like the delts.

Translating this to Swimming terms, I thought about keeping my shoulders down on my free pull, instead of extending too far on the reach in front. On a few 50s, I found I did a pretty easy set of repeats holding :30. It made sense to me to start the catch with the shoulders not as extended, because it's a stronger movement that way. The result was the breezy swims.

So, today, I thought about doing the entire workout aerobic or higher intensity aerobic, including warm up, to reinforce this technique. I was going to repeat it as a mantra: "shoulders down."

The result was that I did some moderate 300s on 1:20 pace (yards), and even the first one, without a warmup, was 3:54, and the snorkels were about 3:55. When I added a stronger kick on a few, I was 3:40, with an HR of probably no more than 140.

Yes, I added one more half-cycle to each 25 (from 14 to 15; 13 to 14 with paddles) but I was faster with a bit less effort. I'm looking forward to my next session, probably Saturday, when I'll try to add some speed swims with this technique.
Quote Reply
Re: January Swim Thread [140triguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
140triguy wrote:
The reasoning behind my workout of 4500y:

1) mostly aerobic or higher-end aerobic, since yesterday was a short sprint workout.
2) aerobic because I wanted to work on something that I should have been applying for a long time, but haven't. During part of yesterday's workout, I felt a bit spry, and applied a technique that was reinforced when I was in the weight room on Tuesday. I did a set of lat pulls, and reminded myself to keep my shoulders down and back, instead of extending my shoulders. The idea is to activate the lats on the motion, and not the start the motion with the relatively weaker smaller muscles like the delts.

Translating this to Swimming terms, I thought about keeping my shoulders down on my free pull, instead of extending too far on the reach in front. On a few 50s, I found I did a pretty easy set of repeats holding :30. It made sense to me to start the catch with the shoulders not as extended, because it's a stronger movement that way. The result was the breezy swims.

So, today, I thought about doing the entire workout aerobic or higher intensity aerobic, including warm up, to reinforce this technique. I was going to repeat it as a mantra: "shoulders down."

The result was that I did some moderate 300s on 1:20 pace (yards), and even the first one, without a warmup, was 3:54, and the snorkels were about 3:55. When I added a stronger kick on a few, I was 3:40, with an HR of probably no more than 140.

Yes, I added one more half-cycle to each 25 (from 14 to 15; 13 to 14 with paddles) but I was faster with a bit less effort. I'm looking forward to my next session, probably Saturday, when I'll try to add some speed swims with this technique.

I think I know what you mean relative to doing lat pulldowns and using the larger muscles in the upper back, but I am also missing a few parts of the visualization. Let us know what we should be doing! Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've only been swimming for 1-1.5 years, first year 1-2 a week and upped it to 3 times a week now. Never swam before, could barely do 100m crawl at once at an average of 2min20 when I started training end of 2016. Still a lot of weaknesses, especially my kick apparently. No flipturns.

Warm-up:

300m crawl
100m kicking with kickboard
200m crawl with pull buoy

All on 20" rest.

Workout:

5x100m with paddles and pull buoy (averaged 1'42"/100m, paying attention to my catch and extending my pull far enough) on 30" rest.

5x50m of kicking with kickboard, go hard first 25m and easy on the last 25m (averaged about 40s/25m, shit kicker)

5x100m with paddles and pull buoy, 25m hard - 25m easy - 25m hard - 25m easy on 20" rest (averaged about 1'38"/100m).

300m easy with fins (averaged 1'48"/100m).

5x50m kicking with fins, on my back with arms fully extended in front of me (if my explanation makes sense, don't know if that exercise has a specific name).

Didn't do a cooldown due to time restriction.. 2400m total, all short course.
Quote Reply
Re: January Swim Thread [Tri_Joeri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
4.8 mi run w/ 2 x 1.2 mi @ 8:49
525 yd swim as 500 swim, 25 kick

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When you are trying to lengthen your stroke, you really extend your arm. It's like a kid in class answering a question by raising a hand very high up ("What's the capital of Burkina Faso?" "I KNOW! I KNOW! It's Ougadougou!"). In the pool, if you extended both arms for a far reach in front, your shoulders would go to your ears, ideally, sort of like the ideal streamline.

What I tried to do:
1) In the weight room for lat pulls, I grabbed the bar, sat down and braced my knees, then positioned my shoulders down and a little back, so that my shoulders didn't go up to my ears.
2) In the pool, I tried to replicate this position of my shoulders, and tried to recover my arms without over-reaching too long in front. The stroke felt shorter, and I tried not to get my shoulders too far forward. I did need to synch the hip roll a but faster to match the tempo, but I don't roll too much, like is perhaps taught that there must be an over-emphasized roll.

The idea is two-fold: get into a catch more directly by not reaching in front, and therefore involving the lats earlier in the stroke, and relying less on the delts and biceps to start the catch. Second is to try to reduce the dead zone in the freestyle cycle with a quicker catch and less length and glide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1900 scm at lunch today. Bunch of 50s on short rest with some fast ones mixed in. Good fun.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You got out on the opposite end!? Actually, I think I’ve done that.

A true fast Friday today of 7x100@10:00 with easy swimming in between. I usually hate these sets but it was fun. Held :57s and one :56, which I was pleased with. Probably my fastest 100 to date.

4700 scy

https://twitter.com/mungub
Quote Reply
Re: January Swim Thread [mungub50] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
You got out on the opposite end!? Actually, I think I’ve done that.

I almost always do. I like to start at the end that allows me to see the clock when I turn my head to the right (I push off on my left side). This end, however, is opposite the women's locker room - so I get out on the end closest to it.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
140triguy wrote:
When you are trying to lengthen your stroke, you really extend your arm. It's like a kid in class answering a question by raising a hand very high up ("What's the capital of Burkina Faso?" "I KNOW! I KNOW! It's Ougadougou!"). In the pool, if you extended both arms for a far reach in front, your shoulders would go to your ears, ideally, sort of like the ideal streamline.

What I tried to do:
1) In the weight room for lat pulls, I grabbed the bar, sat down and braced my knees, then positioned my shoulders down and a little back, so that my shoulders didn't go up to my ears.
2) In the pool, I tried to replicate this position of my shoulders, and tried to recover my arms without over-reaching too long in front. The stroke felt shorter, and I tried not to get my shoulders too far forward. I did need to synch the hip roll a but faster to match the tempo, but I don't roll too much, like is perhaps taught that there must be an over-emphasized roll.

The idea is two-fold: get into a catch more directly by not reaching in front, and therefore involving the lats earlier in the stroke, and relying less on the delts and biceps to start the catch. Second is to try to reduce the dead zone in the freestyle cycle with a quicker catch and less length and glide.

OK, thanks for that. This was what I was thinking....so basically your stroke rate goes up a bit, but since you're in the power phase of your stroke earlier, overall you are spending ore time over the length of the pool in the power phase of the stroke rather than during the glide and decelerate phase. Basically, if you think about doing reverse arm chin ups, you are getting rid of the "hanging at the bottom wtih your elbows locked" phase. Basically the cheating chip up technique where you always have a bent arm at the bottom without your upper ams up against your ear, ready to crank hard with the lats.

This is in line with the new techniques in XC skiing where they have cut out the extremities of the poling motion going to higher cadence, shorter and more powerful strokes with larger muscles and less pure glide/deceleration.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OK, I tried what you suggested. It actually was pretty awesome during fly sprinting. For free, I found if I kept my arm bent, but really extended my lats under water forward before cranking with a hard pull, it was better than not extending the lats forward. Not sure how well I have described this, but essentially it is the bottom position on the chin up bar with bent elbow, or bottom position on the lat pulldown machine with bent elbow. Before the swim, I was in my home gym, so I did four sets of 15 rep lat pulldowns with 100 lbs (reasonably high for me, since I weigh sub 140). So once I got to the pool, the muscle memory was there ready to roll.

OK, feats of strength report. Today's workout all sprinting with a descent amount of rest....fly, free and breast ranging from 25m to 100m. At the end of the workout, lane swim ends and it is a free for all public swim, so perfect time for underwater kicking.

I got the lifeguard to time my 1 length dolphin:

with fins 18 seconds
without fins 27 seconds

fins are the short stubby arena fins.

Dev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
140triguy wrote:

What I tried to do:

One more thought on this. If you don't extend your lats and push your shoulders up to your head, it ends up being a higher drag profile, even though it is a higher power starting position....what about extending the lats and shoulders, but keeping the elbow bent and immediately catching the water with forearm and hand, so that the arms are already in the high force position and your "hull" is more streamlined.
Quote Reply
Re: January Swim Thread [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Monty, I just realized it is Jan 30th and I said earlier that I was going to do a monthly 200m IM test. Unfortunately, my back stroke training has been minimal because it sucks so badly, but I am down to having to do this test today or tomorrow. I am already embarressed by having to report an insanely tourist slow time, but probably better to put it in writing that I will go do it and suck it up and get it done. I think I will be hard pressed to break 3:40 minutes. I think it will go like this.....47-60-55-45 if it all works out like i think it will.

Anyone else on the fish thread want to give this a try? I could probably go harder on the fly leg, but I'll kill the middle two legs and be a noodle for the free leg so I better go easier.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You doing it from a push?

I MIGHT be able to sneak out to the pool tomorrow at lunch, we'll see.....

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply

Prev Next