Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Jan Frodeno Bike Crash - Ouch
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Jan Frodeno Bike Crash - Ouch [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
how the hell do you crash at 60kph and only get a couple of scrapes on your face? Looks like he's the best crasher in triathlon as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does the gash under his right eye look like it came from his Oakley lens jamming into him??

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Jan Frodeno Bike Crash - Ouch [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sean H wrote:
how the hell do you crash at 60kph and only get a couple of scrapes on your face? Looks like he's the best crasher in triathlon as well.

It's amazing how people spin stories. I've crashed at 34mph and I was ALL road rash. My assumption is he was going 60kph and slammed on the brakes before ultimately crashing. So, in reality, he probably crashed going far far slower.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sean H wrote:

First of all good to know he is OK. Maybe he ejected off the road and landed in grass on the side of the road and decelerated a lot before he actually started sliding.
Quote Reply
Re: Jan Frodeno Bike Crash - Ouch [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My 6 year old who wears glasses often has gashes around his eyes from his glasses. But we figure better a gash on the brow or cheek versus damage to the eye

stevej wrote:
Does the gash under his right eye look like it came from his Oakley lens jamming into him??
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Best of luck to Jan and his recovery.

I went down almost 4 weeks ago doing about 22 mph. I hit some loose gravel while making a turn off a road that was having some resurfacing work. I didn't have time to slow down at all. I was riding, and a nanosecond later I smashed into the road. End result was road rash from my ankle to my shoulder on the right side of my body. 6 stitches in palm area of my right hand. My hand wound was an impact type wound, looked like I was stabbed with a knife. Deep wound. I couldn't use my hand for a week due to swelling and temporary nerve damage. Right elbow required 12 stitches to patch up as it got skinned to the bone. It's still a fucking mess and hurts to this day. I had a basketball sized bruise (w/road rash) on my right hip. I was just able to run for the first time this week. My right shoulder is still really sore. Sleeping has really sucked.

Thankfully I didn't hit my head and somehow didn't break any bones. Lying on the road seconds after the crash I was afraid to move because all I could think about was what was broken because there was no way I didn't break something. Glad I was wrong. Except for my bike. $1,000 worth of damage to my almost new Canyon Aeroad.

Crashing sucks. I guess I had been lucky all these years since my last bad bike crash happened when I was 15 or 16. So I had a good 32-33 year run.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Jan Frodeno Bike Crash - Ouch [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ouch, sorry to hear that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh absolutely. I’d be curious to see what his Oakley’s look like. This is just a reminder to us to be careful out there and make sure you are wearing proper eye protection.

Hope he heals up quickly.

Doesn’t he have still have to validate for kona?

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He has to qualify regularly I’m pretty sure, which he will do with any decent showing at Frankfurt (that’s the one he’s doing right?). But he’s pretty far down the kpr right now without many points from kona and no other IM.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I believe the last 5 years of kona winners get an automatic slot. They only have to validate.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ah didn’t know that
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
I believe the last 5 years of kona winners get an automatic slot. They only have to validate.

Yes, this is correct. He is low on the KPR in 74th place and just has to complete an IM to get his auto invite back to Kona.
Quote Reply
Re: Jan Frodeno Bike Crash - Ouch [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:

I went down almost 4 weeks ago doing about 22 mph. I hit some loose gravel while making a turn off a road that was having some resurfacing work. I didn't have time to slow down at all. I was riding, and a nanosecond later I smashed into the road. End result was road rash from my ankle to my shoulder on the right side of my body. 6 stitches in palm area of my right hand. My hand wound was an impact type wound, looked like I was stabbed with a knife. Deep wound. I couldn't use my hand for a week due to swelling and temporary nerve damage. Right elbow required 12 stitches to patch up as it got skinned to the bone. It's still a fucking mess and hurts to this day. I had a basketball sized bruise (w/road rash) on my right hip. I was just able to run for the first time this week. My right shoulder is still really sore. Sleeping has really sucked.

Thankfully I didn't hit my head and somehow didn't break any bones. Lying on the road seconds after the crash I was afraid to move because all I could think about was what was broken because there was no way I didn't break something. Glad I was wrong. Except for my bike. $1,000 worth of damage to my almost new Canyon Aeroad.

Crashing sucks. I guess I had been lucky all these years since my last bad bike crash happened when I was 15 or 16. So I had a good 32-33 year run.

That sucks. Sorry. Did these injuries end your Scandinavian trip and race?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
But is the bike okay?
Quote Reply
Re: Jan Frodeno Bike Crash - Ouch [mwanner13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It appears that way :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Jan Frodeno Bike Crash - Ouch [SummitAK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SummitAK wrote:
The GMAN wrote:

That sucks. Sorry. Did these injuries end your Scandinavian trip and race?

No, the $8,000 in plane tickets put an end to it before it started.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Jan Frodeno Bike Crash - Ouch [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
stevej wrote:

Yes, this is correct. He is low on the KPR in 74th place and just has to complete an IM to get his auto invite back to Kona.

Correct. He wants to race (and validate) in Frankfurt. That is two weeks out, so I assume that he will be ok to race. However, he is supposed to race and not just walk (sure, definitions are very vague, but anway). Otherwise, WTC could refuse to accept validation...
Quote Reply
Re: Jan Frodeno Bike Crash - Ouch [motorcity] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He will be dangerous in Kona again
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Herbert wrote:
He will be dangerous in Kona again

If his wounds will heal within two weeks, or at least not limit him, he will also rock the show in Frankfurt ... which will be interesting to watch if you take a look at the start list ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thougt it may look like not much damage was done, never underestimate the damage of the actuel impact itself. Even without a lot of road rash, stitches, bruises or broken bones, this surely may impact his performance in 2 weeks out.
Quote Reply
Re: Jan Frodeno Bike Crash - Ouch [Kreiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kreiger wrote:
Thougt it may look like not much damage was done, never underestimate the damage of the actuel impact itself. Even without a lot of road rash, stitches, bruises or broken bones, this surely may impact his performance in 2 weeks out.

Well, that's why I wrote "if it will not limit him". But if I got it right, he had 10 or so stitches, so that has quite an impact that surely might become a limiting factor...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah sure. But visible wounds like stitches might heal quite fast while the invisible impact on core could take more time to be no limitating.

I crashed once in an olympic 10 days behore competing in a half. Had road rash and even stitches on the back of my head. Road rash and burns hurt like hell and I couldn't move my shoulder for a week but once that was over, the only thing left seemed a patch on my shoulder that was not even limiting me (and it was a salt water swim). However in the last 3km of the run I found out the impact on my core was not yet "healed".
Quote Reply
Post deleted by windschatten [ In reply to ]
Re: Jan Frodeno Bike Crash - Ouch [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Will you challenge him?
Quote Reply

Prev Next