Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Jacket/Vest Convertibles
Quote | Reply
Anyone have an opinion on the convertible jacket-to-vest products on the market?? For exmaples, see the Pearl Izumi Vagabond (http://www.pearlizumi.com/...ProductColorsTB=3787) or the Sugoi Investor (http://www.sugoi.ca/...Style=70710U&g=3).

Seems like they'd be pretty useful--start a run cold, warm up, take off sleeves. It's also cheaper than buying a jacket and a vest. I wonder though if the ole zipper in the armpit is uncomfortable while running/riding, or if its not as good of a climate control device in jacket mode owing to the sleeve/body zippered interface.

Any thoughts??
Quote Reply
Re: Jacket/Vest Convertibles [Ginsu Dave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have used and sell the Pearl Izumi jackets. They are nice. I think the zip-off sleeve design changes the way the garment fits and is a bit of a compromise. When worn as a vest the arm holes seem very blousy or open. I didn't care for that. On wind or insulated vests I think the arm holes need to be form-fitting so you don't get a draft in there and they don't "billow". It would be important to get the size small enough to fit reasonably "tailored" over your other layers- don't buy too big or it will not work well as a vest. FYI: Sierra Trading Post (sierratradingpost.com) is the dumping ground for bargain-basement Pearl Izumi clothing. Always check their closouts before buying. You can save TONS! They currently have an amazing deal on Go Lite shell clothing, which is the best in the world. The "Reach" jacket was almost $200 and is now $39.99. I have used this jacket and it ia the state of the art in ultra-light, breathable shells. Good luck.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Jacket/Vest Convertibles [Ginsu Dave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ginsu Dave,

I have a Pearl Izumi jacket/vest similar to the one posted. It ist the yellow one they were selling a couple years ago. I love mine. Especially in Texas. A long morning run can start out at 40 and end up at 70 degrees. The sleeves are easy to take off while running and store in the back pocket. Even better is the feature that allows you to stuff it and then strap it around your waist, race belt style. Top 5 pieces of training equipment I own. Sierra Trading Post is indeed a great place to keep an eye out for one. If not on there, buy it full price...its worth it.

Daniel McBride
Quote Reply