Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
It worked! 9:26, 1st AG (KQ) at IMSR on 10 hour per week training plan.
Quote | Reply
This year I decided to do an experiment to avoid burnout and to help me learn to be a better coach for my busy athletes. Back in 2011, I wrote an article with the title "A sub 10 Ironman on 10 hours per week" (since then I've seen some imitation articles by other coaches) and I decided to revisit the approach applying everything I've learned in the last 8 years and see if I could qualify for Kona on a minimalist training plan. The goal was to see if I could be almost as fast as I would be on a "regular" plan, but with much less volume.

It worked! I went 9:26 at IMSR last weekend (1st place 40-44) and qualified on an average of 9:50 / week over the course of my build! The decreased training volume (10 hrs average this year vs. 14+ last year) allowed me to keep the average quality of my sessions much higher, so it balanced things out reasonably well. I might not have maximized my potential 100%, but I didn't leave too much speed on the table and I enjoyed my training and life and extra free time.

If you are curious to read about how I did it here's a 4 part series I wrote on it (the training and the race report). The first article is about one way to structure a minimalist training plan (big emphasis on focused rides + bricks) and the last article is the race report. In between I have a couple training updates. If you are a busy athlete looking to train for an Ironman, I hope you'll get a some useful ideas and some motivation from the articles.

I was actually planning on doing more training than I did. I planned for up to 10:59 / week in the first half (being a slight cheater by defining "10 hours" as 10:59 or below), followed a few bigger weeks before the taper. So, it was supposed to average out to over 10 hours / week, but all but a few weeks would be under 11 hours. But due to ongoing run injuries and the fact that the training was challenging to the point I needed some extra recovery days mixed into the build, it ended up averaging out to only 9:50 / week across the build + taper.

I hope someone gets some useful ideas from the articles. Please feel free to ask any questions.

(Disclaimer: remember, this isn't about how to qualify for Kona. It's about some ideas on how to be almost as fast as you'd be on a "regular" plan, but with significantly less training.)

Coach of TriForce Triathlon Team

Quote Reply
Re: It worked! 9:26, 1st AG (KQ) at IMSR on 10 hour per week training plan. [kevincoady] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Curious what your last thee YEARS look like in terms of volume. I personally believe that doing well at an IM is all about consistency over many years, vs any one build, any one week, or any one workout.

I looked back at my <9:30 IM from last year and doing a similar analysis it looks like I averaged around 11:15/week for the 16 weeks (so not really that much more than your 9:50). But that was also my 9th IM over the past 5 years, and I had been consistently training and racing for the entirety of those 5 years.

That is certainly an impressive performance, but I think focusing on the "low volume" of this build is missing a bigger picture of years of consistent training. I would be hesitant to have someone new to IM, who has only been in the sport a couple of years, train at that low volume and expect much in the way of a decent result.

Edit to add: I took a look back at my records going back to 2014. Looks like it stayed right at 11:15 average for the past 5 years. Although if I bump that to 2015 the average is more like 11:40. Regardless, years upon years of training consistently. Some low-volume weeks balancing high volume weeks obviously. But my overall average isn't that "impressive" looking
Last edited by: g_lev: May 16, 19 11:34
Quote Reply
Re: It worked! 9:26, 1st AG (KQ) at IMSR on 10 hour per week training plan. [g_lev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congrats on your fast performance on the lower volume! You're a great example and I totally agree that consistency is what it's all about. I should really have emphasized that more. In fact, I tell my athletes that consistency is TriForce Rule #1. My 3 year average is 11 hours, but I basically never take a week off of training (except maybe after my last "a race" of the year) and I have been doing Ironman for a decade now, so that backs up what you are saying.

Agreed that this plan will work better for an experienced athlete looking to cut back but still come close to previous performances vs. someone trying to finish their first one. And for people I coach, the preference is always to do a conventional plan with more volume (especially run-wise) if they are able. On the other hand, some of these concepts are based on the training I did when I first started doing Ironman (I was going to school + working) and back then I managed to go in the mid 9s as well on a mostly minimal plan without the benefit of a huge base (but I still had some years of consistent training). I do think this style of training is pretty effective for getting ready to race Ironman if you don't have the option to do a "regular" plan. The concepts of the plan-- more focused training (3 hours with reps pegging at IM to HIM effort vs. 5 hours slower), transition runs, with no junk training can really help people of all abilities get prepared to do a "good" (not necessarily their best) Ironman.

And in the end, it's not about "the plan" or 10 hours-- that was just a fun challenge for myself and a learning experience For me it's about some tools, tricks and concepts to give options to people who are busy. If someone's passion is Ironman, I hate to see them quit because they can't do the same big plan they've done in previous years.

Coach of TriForce Triathlon Team

Last edited by: kevincoady: May 16, 19 12:20
Quote Reply
Re: It worked! 9:26, 1st AG (KQ) at IMSR on 10 hour per week training plan. [g_lev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congrats Kevin on such an impressive result! It sounds like it was an interesting experiment.

I don't see that this 10 hour/week plan is inconsistent with consistency (pun intended), and I don't think it is being advertised as a "couch to KQ" plan either. I don't see where the plan says that 10 hours/week for one season is sufficient to get you there. It looks to me like it was an experiment to see if Kevin could get 80% of the results from 60% of the normal training load he might have typically put in (yes, when layered on top of having been consistent for many years). In other words, can you still reach a relatively high performance level without putting in 16-20 hours/week, week after week?

High performance level is of course relative. Only a gifted few will be able to KQ, go sub-10 on an IM or sub-5 on a HIM, etc. on this plan, but this datapoint might suggest that a time-starved athlete could still achieve 80% of his/her success by chipping away 10 hours/week over a long period of time (i.e., being consistent at this moderate level of training). If anything, your experience adds validation to Kevin's theory. With consistency, you were able perform at a high level with relatively low training load (11.5 hours/week).
Quote Reply
Re: It worked! 9:26, 1st AG (KQ) at IMSR on 10 hour per week training plan. [Horchata] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Horchata wrote:
Congrats Kevin on such an impressive result! It sounds like it was an interesting experiment.

I don't see that this 10 hour/week plan is inconsistent with consistency (pun intended), and I don't think it is being advertised as a "couch to KQ" plan either. I don't see where the plan says that 10 hours/week for one season is sufficient to get you there. It looks to me like it was an experiment to see if Kevin could get 80% of the results from 60% of the normal training load he might have typically put in (yes, when layered on top of having been consistent for many years). In other words, can you still reach a relatively high performance level without putting in 16-20 hours/week, week after week?

High performance level is of course relative. Only a gifted few will be able to KQ, go sub-10 on an IM or sub-5 on a HIM, etc. on this plan, but this datapoint might suggest that a time-starved athlete could still achieve 80% of his/her success by chipping away 10 hours/week over a long period of time (i.e., being consistent at this moderate level of training). If anything, your experience adds validation to Kevin's theory. With consistency, you were able perform at a high level with relatively low training load (11.5 hours/week).

Yep - I have no disagreement with what Kevin showed with this experiment. I am just pointing out that it requires a highly experienced athlete to pull it off. In fact it shows that, to me, you might be better off working at this for years on a "slow burn" plan like this, vs training your ass off for 16-20hrs/week for a couple of years and then burning out, only to quit the sport entirely. It shows that if you work at this slowly, consistently, year after year, you will get that result you want (KQ or whatever) and still enjoy the process enough to want to keep doing it.

I see too many people rush from couch to IM (say over 2 years), train themselves into the ground, finish their IM in <insert somewhat unsatisfying time>, burn out, and quit (after getting a tattoo). That is sad to me. This experiment shows what I think is a better approach to training and racing as a lifestyle that still yields impressive results.
Last edited by: g_lev: May 16, 19 12:50
Quote Reply
Re: It worked! 9:26, 1st AG (KQ) at IMSR on 10 hour per week training plan. [kevincoady] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I get what you did and it's a great accomplishment.

But saying you KQ on a 10 hour week training plan is misleading.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's common knowledge: everybody's who's slower than me is a loser and didn't train enough. Everybody who's faster than me is no-lifer and trains too much. I don't know where to put you!!!

Seriously, congrats! Good planning, good execution and excellent result!
Quote Reply
Re: It worked! 9:26, 1st AG (KQ) at IMSR on 10 hour per week training plan. [ask77nl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ask77nl wrote:
It's common knowledge: everybody's who's slower than me is a loser and didn't train enough. Everybody who's faster than me is no-lifer and trains too much. I don't know where to put you!!!

I think you accidentally put this in pink...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like hacks
Quote Reply
Re: It worked! 9:26, 1st AG (KQ) at IMSR on 10 hour per week training plan. [Bonmaklad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bonmaklad wrote:
I like hacks

What you are missing is that the race is over a fixed distance, not how far you go in a given time. And at the moment then it woudl take you well over 40 hours to travel the distances that Kevin did in his weekly trainings.

Now go and ride a bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats, but I could have told you that 18 years ago. Few would've believed me.Triathletes just train too much, which is partly why they can't figure out how to get faster.
Quote Reply
Re: It worked! 9:26, 1st AG (KQ) at IMSR on 10 hour per week training plan. [ask77nl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: It worked! 9:26, 1st AG (KQ) at IMSR on 10 hour per week training plan. [Horchata] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Horchata wrote:
It looks to me like it was an experiment to see if Kevin could get 80% of the results from 60% of the normal training load he might have typically put in (yes, when layered on top of having been consistent for many years)....

He was actually closer to about 95% of the results (assuming 9hr IM threshold) on 60% of the training. That’s remarkable.

Oui, mais pas de femme toute de suite (yes, but I am not ready for a woman straight away) -Stephen Roche's reply when asked whether he was okay after collapsing at the finish in the La Plagne stage of the 1987 Tour
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats! Well done!

Don't have quite the depth of your experience, but my n = 1 was coming in within seconds of my last year's finish time with improved swim and run on less swimming and running (I was around 11.5hr average total training this year vs 13.5-14 last year).

Good luck getting healthy and coming back stronger!
Quote Reply
Re: It worked! 9:26, 1st AG (KQ) at IMSR on 10 hour per week training plan. [Rocky M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pretty categorical statement. Care to elaborate or take it down a notch?

"Every triathlete would get faster by training less" seems wrong to me. But I could be wrong.
Quote Reply
Re: It worked! 9:26, 1st AG (KQ) at IMSR on 10 hour per week training plan. [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know there are “time crunched” plans but I really would be curious to see who can train on 10 hours MAX and excel. Not this “average” but max hours so then the “average” would likely be closer to 8.2-8.5 over a time period. Or atleast show how doing *only* 10 hours actually does then limit your ability.

Of course I wouldn’t advise it because that’s not imo properly training for your race event demands, but as you note this is an average that to get ~10 hours will mean you get multi weeks over that “10 hour” threshold.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: It worked! 9:26, 1st AG (KQ) at IMSR on 10 hour per week training plan. [Schnellinger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Schnellinger wrote:

"Every triathlete would get faster by training less" seems wrong to me. But I could be wrong.

I think what he is eluding to is that too many people focus on high volume and not quality workouts. They spend all of their time in zone 1 or zone 2 hours on end. They could do less volume and more intensity and have more success.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: It worked! 9:26, 1st AG (KQ) at IMSR on 10 hour per week training plan. [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
they could also do more volume and more intensity and have more success...

stevej wrote:
Schnellinger wrote:

I think what he is eluding to is that too many people focus on high volume and not quality workouts. They spend all of their time in zone 1 or zone 2 hours on end. They could do less volume and more intensity and have more success.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: It worked! 9:26, 1st AG (KQ) at IMSR on 10 hour per week training plan. [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:
they could also do more volume and more intensity and have more success...

stevej wrote:
Schnellinger wrote:

Agreed but its about building to that point. I would't take someone training 17 hours a week on no intensity and have them start immediately doing 17 hours with intensity built in. That's how injuries happen. I would lower it to 12-14 hours with intensity. Once you can hit all the high intensity workouts for weeks on end, you start to raise volume.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kevincoady wrote:
This year I decided to do an experiment to avoid burnout and to help me learn to be a better coach for my busy athletes. Back in 2011, I wrote an article with the title "A sub 10 Ironman on 10 hours per week" (since then I've seen some imitation articles by other coaches) and I decided to revisit the approach applying everything I've learned in the last 8 years and see if I could qualify for Kona on a minimalist training plan. The goal was to see if I could be almost as fast as I would be on a "regular" plan, but with much less volume.

It worked! I went 9:26 at IMSR last weekend (1st place 40-44) and qualified on an average of 9:50 / week over the course of my build! The decreased training volume (10 hrs average this year vs. 14+ last year) allowed me to keep the average quality of my sessions much higher, so it balanced things out reasonably well. I might not have maximized my potential 100%, but I didn't leave too much speed on the table and I enjoyed my training and life and extra free time.

If you are curious to read about how I did it here's a 4 part series I wrote on it (the training and the race report). The first article is about one way to structure a minimalist training plan (big emphasis on focused rides + bricks) and the last article is the race report. In between I have a couple training updates. If you are a busy athlete looking to train for an Ironman, I hope you'll get a some useful ideas and some motivation from the articles.

I was actually planning on doing more training than I did. I planned for up to 10:59 / week in the first half (being a slight cheater by defining "10 hours" as 10:59 or below), followed a few bigger weeks before the taper. So, it was supposed to average out to over 10 hours / week, but all but a few weeks would be under 11 hours. But due to ongoing run injuries and the fact that the training was challenging to the point I needed some extra recovery days mixed into the build, it ended up averaging out to only 9:50 / week across the build + taper.

I hope someone gets some useful ideas from the articles. Please feel free to ask any questions.

(Disclaimer: remember, this isn't about how to qualify for Kona. It's about some ideas on how to be almost as fast as you'd be on a "regular" plan, but with significantly less training.)

Fleck did this type of thing way back in 1997 and went something like 9:08 at Ironman Canada Penticton.

What you are conveniently leaving out:

1. Years of base
  2. Genetic ability
  3. Years of techincal ability in the sport (learned from your errors)
  4. Already entering with excellent body composition

The rest, makes a ton of sense. I am sure Lebron James can excel at NBA on sub 10 hrs per week combined games, training and video work too, but that's roughly what you are implying here, and what Fleck was implying in 1997.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is great. There was just a post the other day where i was chastised, when suggesting you don’t need 16 hours / week to train 70.3

I 100% agree w this premise, assuming you have a base to build from. Not sure if it is 5 years, 1 year or 16 weeks.

I wish there were more posts like this, not so people take shortcuts in training, but people realize they don’t need brain numbing Z1 5 hr rides each weekend to prep for IM
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe it's a good plan or maybe you're very gifted. I have a friend who is very fast while not training that much and having quite a dirty lifestyle. I bet he would have been pro if he wanted and had the required dedication. In fact in my many years doing endurance sports i've known 3 of this kind of guys.
Still consistency works well, also quality rest. If you are sleeping well and in appropriate numbers that pays a lot. You can train much harder and most importantly get the maximum benefit of your training. It works very nastily on the other side. People with a lot of stress and hard work schedule will try to pour as much miles/hours to "compensate" and they'll just waste themselves.
Quote Reply
Re: It worked! 9:26, 1st AG (KQ) at IMSR on 10 hour per week training plan. [mvenneta] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you're creating a false dichotomy... nobody is arguing that. The opposite of training fewer than 10 hours per week is not mind-numbing 5hr Z1 rides.

mvenneta wrote:

I wish there were more posts like this, not so people take shortcuts in training, but people realize they don’t need brain numbing Z1 5 hr rides each weekend to prep for IM

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: It worked! 9:26, 1st AG (KQ) at IMSR on 10 hour per week training plan. [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok yes. I agree
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
By the way, the 1st in age group and KQ which I congratulate you on, is irrelevant for the thesis. Both depend on who shows up or not. What you're trying to show is you can get near your potential or low volume.

As a point of reference in 1994 when Chris Boardman broke the world hour record, he cut his training down to 8 hrs per week. it was all at warmup pace or 100%+ FTP (the hour record or for pro runners the half marathon is the ultimate FTP test). But his volume in advance of that build was regular cyclist volume and his genetic ability was huge.

Dev
Quote Reply

Prev Next