Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
It is possible to drop 20min open marathon time in 6 month
Quote | Reply
I want to BQ, I am guessing 3:05 is a safe bet for next year. But I am at 3:25 right now. 1:35 for half.

Yes, I will get the 4% tomorrow :-)
Yes, I will register a Revel race :-(

But is it even possible? My current weekly is around 25 mile. I can certain do more miles.
Any suggestion or training plan?

Thx
Quote Reply
Re: It is possible to drop 20min open marathon time in 6 month [uva0224] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DO 40 to 45 miles and average 7 minute pace for all of your runs, ride once or twice a week, one a 3 hour ride at a brisk pace. That ought to get you there or about 3;05...And make one run 16+ miles at that average or better..
Quote Reply
Re: It is possible to drop 20min open marathon time in 6 month [uva0224] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
uva0224 wrote:
I want to BQ, I am guessing 3:05 is a safe bet for next year. But I am at 3:25 right now. 1:35 for half.

But is it even possible? My current weekly is around 25 mile. I can certain do more miles.

Thx

How much weight can you lose? I went from 3:22 in October to 3:09 in May to 2:56 the following April. Was just consistency in training and losing weight, nothing special.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Edited: Assumed you were in the youngest age group but after rereading you probably aren't

Is it possible? Maybe, but your chance of injury will be very high. You probably need to up your weekly mileage to around 50 mpw or higher and be able to sustain that type of mileage for a few months to have any shot.
Last edited by: FuzzyRunner: Oct 2, 18 17:40
Quote Reply
Re: It is possible to drop 20min open marathon time in 6 month [ericlambi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes. I ran my first marathon in October 2011 3:44. Ran second one in February 2012 3:14. Basically I upped my mileage 40% and started running all my runs faster. Might not work for everybody. Worked for me.

Let food be thy medicine...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
uva0224 wrote:

Thx
Tomorrow?
Quote Reply
Re: It is possible to drop 20min open marathon time in 6 month [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Are we suppose to run 70% of the mile easy? In my case around 8:00. Or it is just bs.

monty wrote:
DO 40 to 45 miles and average 7 minute pace for all of your runs, ride once or twice a week, one a 3 hour ride at a brisk pace. That ought to get you there or about 3;05...And make one run 16+ miles at that average or better..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I run all miles easy and try to maximize my weekly mileage.

I went from 25 miles per week during the summer where a bunch of those miles are at tempo and include track days. I switched everything to easy (MAF heart rate) and started ramping mileage in the fall and maxed out at 65 ish by end of January before tapering for a February marathon.

Like others have said if you can get to 50+ mpw you should be good.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
im attempting the same thing. went 3:09 in February, and im going to do the same race this coming February and hoping for a 2:50. (cowtown marathon in Fort Worth).

currently on a jack Daniels vdotO2 plan. has be averaging around 40-45mpw. 5 runs, 3 are easy (7:20-8min/mi, and between 6-9 miles), and so far one longer run a week and one track day a week. the track days have been mile intervals @6:00/mi pace with a short jog between.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are we suppose to run 70% of the mile easy? In my case around 8:00. Or it is just bs. //

Easy is a relative term, but in your case no easy miles. Start off at 8 minute pace, but quickly ramp up to race pace(the one you are shooting for) and run there or faster towards the end of runs. You have had fairly good results on 25mpw, I assume those were not easy miles? (much slower than race pace) So to make a big improvement like 20 minutes from a fairly good result, I would add15 to 20 more miles a week and make sure paces are around low 7 minutes.

A lot of people will be telling you to work up to 60 or miles a week, but you do not need that. You have shown you can run well off short mileage, no reason to think you cannot run even better upping it to what I proposed, just don't run junk miles. And do a longish bike ride once in awhile to get that 3 hour physiology built up, and cycling won't break you down like a 2 1/2 hour run would..

Anyway it worked for me when I was younger, ran that mileage and managed a 2;36 on a hilly course. Prior to that I was running 2;50's usually, with one 2;42 that was training for the one I eventually PR'd at. And all this happened in 3 months of focused 40 low mile weeks at race pace, with a bike ride once a week. You sound like you are more like me, than the guys that think 90 miles a week is what you need to go fast.

How old are you anyway? How did you pace that 3;25 when you raced it? Were you riding or swimming then too? Useful questions to drill down further in your quest..
Quote Reply
Re: It is possible to drop 20min open marathon time in 6 month [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
Are we suppose to run 70% of the mile easy? In my case around 8:00. Or it is just bs. //

Easy is a relative term, but in your case no easy miles. Start off at 8 minute pace, but quickly ramp up to race pace(the one you are shooting for) and run there or faster towards the end of runs. You have had fairly good results on 25mpw, I assume those were not easy miles? (much slower than race pace) So to make a big improvement like 20 minutes from a fairly good result, I would add15 to 20 more miles a week and make sure paces are around low 7 minutes.

A lot of people will be telling you to work up to 60 or miles a week, but you do not need that. You have shown you can run well off short mileage, no reason to think you cannot run even better upping it to what I proposed, just don't run junk miles. And do a longish bike ride once in awhile to get that 3 hour physiology built up, and cycling won't break you down like a 2 1/2 hour run would..

Anyway it worked for me when I was younger, ran that mileage and managed a 2;36 on a hilly course. Prior to that I was running 2;50's usually, with one 2;42 that was training for the one I eventually PR'd at. And all this happened in 3 months of focused 40 low mile weeks at race pace, with a bike ride once a week. You sound like you are more like me, than the guys that think 90 miles a week is what you need to go fast.

Everything that Monty said and lose as much weight as possible. I found that 3 hour bike ride at half IM race pace and also doing bike intervals the same day twice per week that I ran track or ran hills was helpful. Basically by adding more cardio intensity on the bike, I was able to enhance my overall cardio load and probably achieve the same cardio workload as a 80-90 mph runner while running 40-50 miles for all my marathons where I ran between 2:48 and 2:56. I did not feel I had the run durability to go much beyond 50 miles, but I could double my weekly overall hours by riding and doing a couple of swims on top of that. I did all my marathons in either the spring or a tri season or the fall after a tri season. I never actually did a marathon on a pure running marathon training plan.

....and I felt that I had to do nearly all my run miles at or close to marathon race pace. That meant that once I was warmed up, I was always running 4 min per kilometer to run at that pace in the marathon and that does not mean this pace was hard. It just had to become my day in day out run pace that I was comfortable at if I wanted to be comfortable running at that pace for the first 32 K of the marathon before it became difficult for the final 10km.

How old are you anyway? How did you pace that 3;25 when you raced it? Were you riding or swimming then too? Useful questions to drill down further in your quest..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am 40. I run 1:35 and 3:25 during IM season. I did 3 swim 3 bike and 3 runs a week.
2 tempo 10k and one race pace long run. In another word hard miles.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you’re running 135 for the half and 325 full you need to get to work.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IMHO, you need to aim to run between 55-65 miles/week if you are planning on dropping that much time. Forget biking except as cross-training. If your goal is to BQ, then that's your A race. Not a triathlon. And 8:00 pace is too slow. Your easy runs should be 7:30-7:40 pace if you're going to be running that time with the ability to click off 10 miles in around 65 minutes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:

Sorry but 7 min miles is way to fast for the op. When I ran my PB in the low 2:50s I averaged about 7:30s on steady and long runs. IMHO they'll be better off running 8-8:30s for most of the weekly miles plus a small amount of speed work
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interesting that a focus on pace has worked for some, but a focus on milage worked for others.

I probably have a similar profile to the op, for a few years was running about 3 times/ 20 miles per week. About 1h35 for a half marathon. Decided to enter an Ironman and followed a plan which focused simply on run time, not pace and not distance (it was don fink iron fit intermediate programme). From memory this had me running more like 5 times per week with long runs up to 3 hours towards the end. Outdoors I just ran at whatever pace felt pleasurable, not fast not slow, listening to music or podcasts. Indoors I went harder. But pace wasn't the focus.

Anyway in the build up to the IM I ran a 1h22 half and a 3h05 marathon (was at sub 3 pace until mile 23).

For me the key thing was consistency, and looking back the two things which helped that were 1) having a plan to follow and 2) the runs being enjoyable rather than painfully fast or boringly slow.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Some (mostly) random thoughts about marathon training:
  • Consistency trumps everything.

• Injury is the enemy of consistency. The longer you remain uninjured, the more training you will accumulate and the better runner you will be.

• Your weekly long run is the bedrock of your training. A marathoner's long run, not a triathlete's long run.

• Be very careful about making significant increases in mileage and training pace at the same time, particularly from a limited base.

• Not every run has to be done quickly or at the same pace.

• Do your hard stuff hard, your easy stuff easy.

• One runner's junk miles is another runner's base mileage. Though you won't meet many (any?) top marathoners coming from low mileage.

• Some detractors of high mileage in this thread have tossed around numbers well over 60 miles/week. Those mileages aren't relevant to someone in their first season of working up from 25 miles/week.

• Many people will say how well they did on limited mileage without ever discovering or knowing what patience and mileage may have delivered for them.

• Variety is good. It will help keep you engaged and stimulated. Mix interval sessions, either within the session or from week to week. Substitute with hill reps. Don't be afraid of logging some miles on the trails, they kinder on the body. Race frequently over a variety of distances.

• How much of each? Hard/easy, fast/slow, long/short, miles/week, etc?Find the balance that works for you, depending on your running history (mileage, duration, injury, etc), Proceed cautiously and heed your body.

• If you still have time and energy for some swimming and cycling, there's no reason not to continue at some level. Bricks are beneficial.

Quote Reply
Re: It is possible to drop 20min open marathon time in 6 month [satanellus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
satanellus wrote:
  • Your weekly long run is the bedrock of your training. A marathoner's long run, not a triathlete's long run

Can you elaborate on what you think the difference is between a "marathoner's long run" and a "triathlete's long run"?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Find a nice course with a little loop of about 2-3 miles where there are no timing mats

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: It is possible to drop 20min open marathon time in 6 month [satanellus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can completely agree besides:
  • Your weekly long run is the bedrock of your training. A marathoner's long run, not a triathlete's long run.

The Bedrock is your training is consistency. In my view it may be better to run every day and not do a long run. Off course a long run will be a good test and wil built endurance but I think it is better to start running every day (for example 6-8 miles). This will accustom you body to running and is more gentle to the body than throwing in long runs because you "need" to. Then after building up to running daily, you can start to lengthen one of the runs to get more accustomed to that also.
Quote Reply
Re: It is possible to drop 20min open marathon time in 6 month [tttiltheend] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tttiltheend wrote:

Can you elaborate on what you think the difference is between a "marathoner's long run" and a "triathlete's long run"?

A marathoner's long run at more of a long workout than just a long run (not to say that triathletes can't and don't also do long workouts). Though generally starting out with base building doing a normal long run is fine, but as the cycle starts to get into peak shape, you'll want long run workouts.

Example difference in what is referenced:

Normal long run: 20 miles easy

Long run workout (marathon's long run?): 20 miles with first 10 miles easy/steady and last 10 miles @ marathon pace.
Or another: 20 miles with first 12 miles easy then 6 miles @ marathon pace followed by 2 miles @ half marathon pace.

Of course many other variations of that but the key to the long run workout is you use part of the long run to build fatigue into your legs and then run the workout portion on tired legs. And as you build into the season you increase the workout portion of the long run.
Last edited by: qintegral: Oct 3, 18 7:42
Quote Reply
Re: It is possible to drop 20min open marathon time in 6 month [fruit thief] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fruit thief wrote:
Interesting that a focus on pace has worked for some, but a focus on milage worked for others.
It's because both can work for a BQ. This may not be a popular opinion, but I don't think a BQ is quite as difficult a task as it's often made out to be. A lot of different approaches can get you there, but the common thread is usually consistency in training.
Quote Reply
Re: It is possible to drop 20min open marathon time in 6 month [r0bh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry but 7 min miles is way to fast for the op. //

Well not 7 exactly, I said race pace, so whatever 3;05 works out to(pretty close though). Like another poster pointed out, some people do well on long slowish mileage with occasional race paced workouts, others do well on short mileage and constant faster race paced runs. I'm definitely in the latter group, and I can name dozens of pros I raced and trained with also in that group. And many in the other group too(Germans). With the limited amount of information in the original OP, he ran a pretty good marathon on 25 miles a week, I surmised he was more in my camp than yours. Some of us can handle a lot of steady speed(marathon pace) without breaking down, as long as we don't try to do 60+ mile weeks.

As you can see from this thread, there are a lot of N=1 stories, so we can see both work. Now it is up to the OP to determine what camp he falls in, and whether to follow his physiology, or buy into something he has never done. Perhaps both will work. or neither, but his stated goal seems to be to be achievable, but don't think his time frame allows for a longish slow buildup of mileage, he needs to just start knocking out more of what he has been doing..

And I'm not saying go out next week and run 45 miles at 3;05 pace, he has time, 6 months to work up to that, and I would say a couple months of that at 3 to 5 months in would be a good achievable goal..
Quote Reply
Re: It is possible to drop 20min open marathon time in 6 month [tttiltheend] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tttiltheend wrote:
satanellus wrote:

• Your weekly long run is the bedrock of your training. A marathoner's long run, not a triathlete's long run

It's the difference between running 19 or 20 miles, pretty much every week, year round, as opposed to what most triathletes do.

The long run is the foundation of marathon training.

Chris Wardlaw, Olympic marathoner and coach of Steve Moneghetti, summed it up when he said something along the lines of "If you can only do one run that week, do your long run. If you can only do two, do two long runs."
Quote Reply
Re: It is possible to drop 20min open marathon time in 6 month [Kreiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kreiger wrote:
I can completely agree besides:

The Bedrock is your training is consistency. In my view it may be better to run every day and not do a long run. Off course a long run will be a good test and wil built endurance but I think it is better to start running every day (for example 6-8 miles). This will accustom you body to running and is more gentle to the body than throwing in long runs because you "need" to. Then after building up to running daily, you can start to lengthen one of the runs to get more accustomed to that also.

I agree with you re consistency. That's why it was the first point I listed.

Perhaps I should have been less ambiguous and said the regular long run is the most important training session or some such thing.

Although I fully expect someone to counter that.
Quote Reply

Prev Next