Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

It's five lbs gained for me so far Julie Ann...
Quote | Reply
...and I've still got to get through New Year's eve. Was reading Julie Ann's article about weight gain over the off season during winter. Good to hear that it's not such a bad thing. I always gain about seven or eight lbs by the time spring arrives. Living in a cold climate people naturally tend to take in more calories in winter time and although I do try, my exercise schedule isn't as intense as in the warmer weather. Plus I'm middle aged, so the metabolism is a little slower than when in my twenties. Anyone else gain much weight in the off season?
Quote Reply
Re: It's five lbs gained for me so far Julie Ann... [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OK dude, if you look in Judy Molnar's book "You Don't Have to be Thin to Win" (Official Rosie O'Donnell Chub Club training guide- not kidding) you will find a story about a fat kid named Tom who became an endurance athlete. I'm (was) the kid. I put on weight very easily. My metabolism is somewhat unusual in that regard. I once went 3 days in the military with no food and didn't loose any weight until I got back from where I was then got super sick and lost a lot of weight. I gain weight every off-season, and it's bugger getting it off. Huge hassle. Then again, my diet and lifestyle is pretty ragged for an "athlete".

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: It's five lbs gained for me so far Julie Ann... [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom, you have had a very exciting life!
Quote Reply
Re: It's five lbs gained for me so far Julie Ann... [litespeed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A little too exciting sometimes dude. For more on the fun part of my exctiement check out www.actiontom.com

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: It's five lbs gained for me so far Julie Ann... [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've managed to mitigate the scale's reading by losing a lot of muscle mass (upper body) at the same time as earning my Xmas gut. So in reality I've probably added a good deal more fat than I'd like to admit. On the plus side, once I ditch the love handles I'll be even lighter (where it's good) for race season.

My body responds reasonably well to training, so it won't be a royal bitch to get the bodyfat down to reasonable levels. While I may never be slender, I don't have to look like a bowling pin with legs, either.

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
well i sure hope my metabolism doesn't get slower as i get older. I haven't even hit 20 yet, and i put on 10 lbs in the offseason in no time. Kind of frustrating because i had just resumed training after thanksgiving, and the holidays are killing me. I haven't been on my treadmill in 2 weeks, and i think i have already slapped another 5lbs onto the gut. guess i'll have to start over in Janruary. Happy New Year all.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Three cheers for JulieAnne's article. Here I was cursing the gym's scale for its five pounds worth of vicious lies. Now I thank it for doing me good on a deep cellular level - and bring on that champagne and those canapes!

TonyG

What is Enoch Root?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I find that when the training focus switches to swimming, it doesn't hurt to load up on xmas shortbreads to help the legs float a little better.

I'm at +2 lbs (should be +3 after tonight!), but I have a 3-4 lb range so it's basically meaningless.

Quote Reply
Re: It's five lbs gained for me so far Julie Ann... [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great website, Tom. I especially like the photos, the one of Rasa (Bad News) was particularly poignant. Thanks for sharing your adventures. I've followed them since your Marathon des Sables (sp?) adventure. Just can't get the wife convinced that we should go and try that one.

--Lloyd

"...like every writer, he measured other men's virtues by what they had accomplished, yet asked that other men measure him by what he planned someday to do."
Last edited by: Lloyd: Dec 31, 02 9:41
Quote Reply
Re: It's five lbs gained for me so far Julie Ann... [Lloyd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Lloyd!. Happy New Year to you.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply