Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
It's almost time for the November Swim Challenge! (sign up here if you're interested ;)
Quote | Reply
Greetings, Slowtwitch :D

it is nearly November and that means we need to start thinking about the NOVEMBER SWIM CHALLENGE!!! These were so much fun last year that the November swim challenge turned into the December swim challenge and then the January swim challenge and then the February one and March too (I guess by April everyone had absorbed enough chlorine). It's getting cold. Doesn't the nice warm pool deck seem like a comfy place?! it's got to be better than, like, cycling out in the cold and stuff. You KNOW you want to act like a swimmer for a month!

This is the story of the November (etc) Swim Challenge:
Last year, someone suggested a November cycling challenge. We concluded that it was semi-ridiculous to do lots of cycling in November. Running, however, was deemed okay, so AndyPants started the "run 200mi in November" challenge, or something like that.

The fishies felt left out. So, we started a SWIM CHALLENGE! the goal was to swim 100,000 yds/m in the month of November. I don't remember how many completed the 100k challenge, but someone named Baldric swam like 250,000 yds... he has since disappeared.

In subsequent challenges, we let everyone set their own goal yardage. At the end of the month we calculated a percentage of actual/goal to see who "won."

So, this is how you join the November Swim Challenge: just set a goal for yourself of how many yards you want to/think you can swim in the month of November.

On Thursday, which happens to be November 1, I'll start a new thread to track the yards/meters. You can post your workouts on that thread by the day, week, whatever... it is a good way to stay motivated, have fun, and be part of the Slowtwitch Virtual Swim Team (hereafter referred to as "Fishtwitch.")

Hoping this as fun as it was last year :)
love,
tc

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: It's almost time for the November Swim Challenge! (sign up here if you're interested ;) [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh good lord here we go again.

Grant

Grant
----------------------------------------------------
Proudly sponsored by Desoto Sports
Please Support CAF every little bit helps http://raceforareason.kintera.org/grantreuter
Quote Reply
Re: It's almost time for the November Swim Challenge! (sign up here if you're interested ;) [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
seriously don't you have exams to study for?

Your biggest limiter is not your swimming in case I haven't told you that yet.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Last edited by: desert dude: Oct 28, 07 16:06
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know that this will sound ultra lame but with 15 days of business travel in Nov, I will sign up for a sum total of a whopping 10K. I realize this is lame, but it is better than zero, and my participation in last year's challenges kept me honest and forced me to meet my lame 20-25K monthly goals, setting me up for relatively good year of tri swim splits.

Dev
Quote Reply
Re: It's almost time for the November Swim Challenge! (sign up here if you're interested ;) [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Today's my rest day from homework and studying :) tomorrow's a rest day from training of any kind so I can study and write papers then.

I'm not planning to swim THAT much... my shoulders are still bugging me a bit.

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Re: It's almost time for the November Swim Challenge! (sign up here if you're interested ;) [devashish paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nothing is "lame." This is not a D1 swim team so we will take whoever wants to play along :)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I will. I've done zero swimming (other than in my very limited race schedule) since June, but now that the weather is getting more unfriendly for outdoor stuff, time to swim again.

50K should be attainable for me, given that I'll have to build up the yardage from a zero base.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have looked back at September and Octobers swim total. it amounts to exactly 8000. So I will sign on for 10,200 for the November swim challenge.

Do I win a prize if I exceed my total by the most?

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: It's almost time for the November Swim Challenge! (sign up here if you're interested ;) [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jason...why go from zero to 50K in a month....many triathletes spend too much time swimming and not enough time running. The weather in Canada is never unfriendly for running...NEVER! Don't get, me wrong, I am all for having a solid swim in races, (in fact aside from Ironman LP, the swim was often my best "relative to the field" event) all year. It just takes more time to build a solid running base, and winter in Canada is a great time to do it.

Tigerchik, sorry for derailing your thread...back to the regular programming :-)
Quote Reply
Re: It's almost time for the November Swim Challenge! (sign up here if you're interested ;) [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do I win a prize if I exceed my total by the most?

The prize is that just maybe you might swim a little faster. It's one of those intangible things but it feels good when you do it.

:-)

I've been averaging 30k a week so I'll say 120,000 yds... that leaves plenty of time for cycling, I just have to find the motivation to do it. It's started to get cold up here.

Quote Reply
Re: It's almost time for the November Swim Challenge! (sign up here if you're interested ;) [devashish paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been doing a lot of running lately, looking to switch things up a bit for the winter, then go back to tapering from the swimming. I'l mostly be cutting back on the bike time.

My swimming was absolutely crap this year, and I find that if I'm not in good swim shape, then that negatively affects the bike and the run. 50K in the water really isn't that much anyway, and I'll still be maintaining the run. It basically means that on the crap weather days I'll get in the pool rather than get cold and wet.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Last edited by: JasoninHalifax: Oct 28, 07 16:29
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think I barely did 200K of swimming all year...you guys really make me look lame
Quote Reply
Re: It's almost time for the November Swim Challenge! (sign up here if you're interested ;) [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm certainly in agreement that being in poor swim shape kills the bike and run...its just that it takes longest to get into run shape "safely". You can't just ramp running without having a consistent and solid base. But I certainly see where you are coming from.

Dev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Let's go for 100,000m.

Tigerchik, I agree with Desert Dude, swimming isn't exactly your limiter. I think you should start a wind trainer challenge, see who can log the most hours:) Extra points for doing it without any electronic equipment (fan, music, tv, computer).

I think rather than run this winter I'll just lay on the couch and visualize about running in some far off location where winter just doesn't happen....*sigh*
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i only have 8 days to swim in nov so my total is 20000 yards. how do you make sad face??

ken
trying to act like a runner
Quote Reply
Re: It's almost time for the November Swim Challenge! (sign up here if you're interested ;) [Baldric] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To assist Tigerchik and others with respect to getting consistent in running, I'll start a 100 run club thread on Dec 1. 100 30 min or longer runs in 100 days get you platinum club....110 for gold club and so one...should compliement her swim challenges nicely...now we'll just need Jens or someone to get us on the trainer challenge to round things off!!!

Dev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am totally down for a trainer challenge!

:-)

Jodi
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I usually never participate in these, but I'm a slow swimmer and I seem to always skip my swim workouts. I'm in! 24,000 yards this November.
Quote Reply
Re: It's almost time for the November Swim Challenge! (sign up here if you're interested ;) [Jodi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jodi, maybe you should start the trainer challenge. Desertdude, is the trainer challenge a "sheer milage thing", or perhaps it needs to be something like "number of 45 minute sessions" to keep people focused on going hard and short and stay mentally fresh through frequency?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sweeeeet i got the perfect weather for this run challenge and ill be training for a PR Half Marathon!! love it! idk how swimming will work for me with a possible hurricane next wk though lol and a race in 2 wks

"Fear is what drives you in the last part of a marathon in an Ironman. The body is depleted and the mind is fuzzy. Short course racing is driven by power and finese at the end of a race, Ironman demands so much more and is driven by will and mental strength." Chris McCormack

10/28/08 Dev Paul had 400w FTP!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am in for the run challenge. I was thinking about a big bike thing too. Since I am in san diego, I get to ride all year. How about the most climbs on Palomar in the month of January?
Quote Reply
Re: It's almost time for the November Swim Challenge! (sign up here if you're interested ;) [couchweight] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry for hijacking TC's swim thread...couchweight, you need to put down a target swim number for Nov :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Okay. Well, I'll swim thursday and friday at IMFL. So, maybe 2000 or so there, and whats an IM? 4000? So, I figure maybe 10K for the month.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And sorry TC for high jacking your thread.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am just learning to swim, as many of you may know from some of my recent posts. I've been working with a coach once a week and having a blast. I am basically working on drills, and any kind of distance is short but rising. Few weeks ago, I could barely swim the 25 yrd length, today I swam 8 lengths, which is an all time best.

Tigerchik,
Can I join the challenge and shoot for obtaining a continuous yardage goal, as opposed to a monthly total? I am thinking maybe an 800? I don't know how realistic that is.
Quote Reply

Prev Next