Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: It's October - go swim (monthly fish thread) [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
2600 in the ocean this morning. Tuesday, the water was very cold and so kept the swim in the cove for safety. Wednesday, I wore my T1 wetsuit top and overheated as the water improved a couple degrees. I wasn’t sure what it would be this morning so I opted for my Orca SwimRun shorty. It was fine, but I really didn’t need it as the water was a tepid 64-65. Tomorrow, back to skin only!

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply
Re: It's October - go swim (monthly fish thread) [Mike Plumb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Mike, welcome back to the fishes thread, good to see you swimming well. Are you really kicking 50's on the minute? That is really good for an ex runner turned swimmer, especially in meters!! Those 8 would be a hard set for me, and aren't you an old man in my AG by now? (-;

I did another 5 year best today in the 1650p. Seems like lately every few days I get another recent best in, guess all that weight loss is finally paying off!!

5x100s@1;40 warm up descend(1;25 to 1;17)
1650p time trial(500 splits, 6;13/6;07/6;04/1;49) 20;14 total time, 1;;13+ pace
3x100buoy easy@1;45(1;27/26/26)
50 dolphin(1;04)
3000SCY
Quote Reply
Re: It's October - go swim (monthly fish thread) [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Joined a Master's group a couple weeks ago for the sole purpose of finally being able to post in this thread instead of just reading it. Not an experienced swimmer but it's fun. This morning (as best I recall) was a short / fast day. All scy:

About 1k warmup various s, k, pull, etc
4 x (4x50 descending sendoff, 60 - 55- 50 - 45)
3 x 50 choice on a minute, easy between the flags but sprinting the walls and breakouts

8 x 37.5 (weird!) on 45s, easy between the flags but sprinting the walls and breakouts

The main set was tough, and I missed basically every interval by like 5-10 seconds. Was supposed to be 3 times through this set:
100 on 1:15
2 x 25 kick (IMO -> Fly, Back, Breast) on 30s
2 x 25 fly (sprint middle) on 30s
2 x 25 back (sprint end) on 30s
2 x 25 breast (sprint breakout) on 30s
100 (IMO -> Fly, Back, Breast) on 1:30

The faster swimmers in our group managed it, but I had to add some time. Was a good 'failed' set that provided inspiration to get up to that level for sure!!
Quote Reply
Re: It's October - go swim (monthly fish thread) [sea green] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
welcome!

7 mi run, 475 yd swim (Straight, last 25 kick)

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The main set was tough, and I missed basically every interval by like 5-10 seconds.//

Man, that is a lot, and basically has you doing a straight swim. IS there a lane down you could go to? Seems like then you could actually do the prescribed workout, straight swimming and getting lapped every 100 or so doesnt sound like much fun, and swimming in a group should be, as well as challenging, but makable..
Quote Reply
Re: It's October - go swim (monthly fish thread) [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Monty! That was poorly worded on my part. The lane I was in unanimously decided (easy choice really) to add ~10 seconds to each interval in the main set so that we got the same 5-10 seconds of rest that the 'fast' lanes were getting. When I said I "missed the interval" I should have said "added time to the interval" or something. I'm tired.

Having said that - do you think it's a good idea every couple of weeks to be prescribed a set where the coach knows you can't complete it? Have heard a couple others advocating this approach. They would argue that it can help motivate by showing the swimmer the level they need to be at, provides incentive to work harder, might boost confidence when down the line the swimmer can actually complete that set, etc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

A crisp 38F on the deck this morning.

Perfect for 3k steady.

Scott
Last edited by: GreatScott: Oct 5, 18 10:24
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Back to thinking about body position this morning. Watching my daughter’s club team (11-15 AG) this week and was struck by how high these kids ride in the water relative to my masters mates. Heads low, pocket breathing, high hips.

I know there is more than one piece to this puzzle, but I focused on engaging the core to keep the hips up during this morning’s swim. I think about head position frequently, but haven’t focused on using the core to lift the hips before. Occurred to me this may be necessary as we age and lose core strength.

Anyone else actively engage the core to keep the hips up? Tips or suggestions on the concept?

Scott
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
25M Pool

150 50FS/50BK/50FS
4 x 50 - (25 drill/25 swim)

6 x | 4 x 50 Pull B + Paddles + Parachute R'10
| 100 Pull + Paddles R'15

4 x | 4 x 50 fins + Paddles + Parachute on 1'00
| 8 x 25 fins FAST on '35 - less breathing possible

10 x 100 technique breathing every 3 - 2 beat kick

4750m
Quote Reply
Re: It's October - go swim (monthly fish thread) [MTL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did a hard MTB this morning, so didn't expect much from my swim, better than just a warm down though;

21x100 5swim@1;40(1;28 to 1;23) 5 buoy@1;40(1;22 to 1;19)5 IM kick@2;00(1;57 to 1;53)5pull@1;20(1;14/13/13/13/12)100IM kick(1;55)
2100SCY
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
800 warm-up swim with snorkel.
30x100 on 1:45 (arriving 1:34-1:35)
400 kick
200 cool down
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MTL wrote:
25M Pool

150 50FS/50BK/50FS
4 x 50 - (25 drill/25 swim)

6 x | 4 x 50 Pull B + Paddles + Parachute R'10
| 100 Pull + Paddles R'15

4 x | 4 x 50 fins + Paddles + Parachute on 1'00
| 8 x 25 fins FAST on '35 - less breathing possible

10 x 100 technique breathing every 3 - 2 beat kick

4750m

Hey Alex/MTL, I have to be downtown Montreal for work again on Tuesday. Where could I swim at lunch time.

OK, I am on a streak....it's been a month where every day I do at least one 400IM and one 200 butterfly. I am getting better at my turns and pacing the 200 fly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Got up this morning with a lot of family stuff to do later in the day, so surprised myself and got in at 6;30 to do a workout, that is not normal..

4x(300/200/100/100k/100k) descending intervals and descending each set 1 swim@1;35 base(4;29/2;50/1;20)1 buoy@1;30 base(4;09/2;41/1;17)1 paddles only@1;25 base(3;58/2;32/1;12) 1 pull@1;20 base(3;44/2;26/1;08) kicks @2;15 base(1;59 to 1;54)
6x50@1;00 odds fly/evens buoy easy(38's fly/41's buoy)
3500SCY
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
4300 yd ocean swim in near 70° water ( October?). Went with Hudo who will be crossing the Catalina Channel on th 15th. We went channel crossing pace, but it was rough seas out there.
Later in the afternoon, part of my return to running, knocked out 7 miles along the San Onofre to Las Pulgas path & back at a ripping 9:56 pace. Tired.

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply
Re: It's October - go swim (monthly fish thread) [daved] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
daved wrote:
been absent from the swim threads as new born preemie twins take up quite a bit of time but.. did manage to get signed up for, and will be going to bermuda this weekend for the 'round the sound swim (10k). There are other options but, ill be in the 10k. Looking forward to it.
Managed over the past number of weeks...
Sept 2 -- 21,400
Sept 9 -- 14,600 (with a 3k open water that my watch failed on)
Sept 16 -- 15,750
Sept 25 -- 20,850
Sept 30 -- 18,456
Not bad totals and 5k on monday. Now im "resting" a bit.

Typically done over 4 swims per week, averaging about 75 min per practice.
Brag set from last week: 3 x through
4 x 50 on :40 "steady" -- I did to my feet with a flip holding 31s
1 x 100 on 1:30 "easy" -- breathcontrol every 5 strokes and held 108s
1 x 200 on 2:40 "build x 50" -- managed 2:12-2:14s
1 x 300 on 4 "fast" -- 3:19, 3:14, 3:11

Feeling ready. Was hoping Dev might show(?) Monty?? ha.. if anyone from ST is going, I hope to meet you there! Let me know.

daved

Damn, I did not know there is an open water 10K swim in Bermuda this weekend. I'll have to keep all these on my calendar for next year. With closing in on year 1 of my tech startup (http://www.BluWave-ai.com), my time is really a premium and other than 1 long weekend to go to Tremblant with family, and both Ontario Provincials and Nationals, longish weekends, I've worked every weekend since incorporating last Oct 31st...meaning no real "away" trips....but I have my daily swim which truly allows me to disconnect from the tech world into a completely different world. I really feel like I have returned from vacation after every swim. I can't say that about biking (perhaps due to traffic on the road). When I was a runner in a true sense banging out 4 min per K constantly all the time in seemingly every workout, I would get the same feeling after my runs. So I am getting that comfort in the water.

Today I got to 903 km of swimming for the year. I am 7 days behind the 100km per month average pace with a target to get to 1200km by end of year. What is cool is that this year its doing all 4 strokes and ton of legs only...so I am really earning my 100km of month as average pace largely sucks. And the cool thing is that I even though I got run over by a bus in June, I managed to recover to the point of getting back in the pool. I was so worried when I was in the emergency that I may never be able to use my right arm again after having the back wheels of a bus pass in front of my face and over my arm from shoulder to elbow, to wrist and hands.

6 weeks later back in the water

Quote Reply
Re: It's October - go swim (monthly fish thread) [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So I'm going pretty slow, not really trying to build up distance to fast as I work on my form. Basically rebuilding everything from when I broke my clavicle in May.

6x50, 2x100, 1x200m.

Been raining a bit so my swimming has been inconsistent since being cleared hot to swim.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: It's October - go swim (monthly fish thread) [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dev,

The only pool I could think downtown during lunch hour would be at the YMCA but kinda of very expensive.

I don't know if UQAM - University pool is open to public.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MTL wrote:
Dev,

The only pool I could think downtown during lunch hour would be at the YMCA but kinda of very expensive.

I don't know if UQAM - University pool is open to public.

I see the Montreal Amateur Athletic Club on Peel has a 25m pool and it is in between my morning and afternoon meetings (morning meetings at McGill College and Sherbrooke, afternoon meetings at Montagne and Sherbrooke), so location is perfect....but it is $30 for a full day pass. Maybe I will just amortize the $30, and do a lunch swim and a dinner time swim, eat a late dinner in town and then drive home to Ottawa after rush hour dies out. McGill pool also appears to be an option, but more walking (that is bad for me) and time overhead....so I may just bite the bullet, pay $30, do a double and lift some weights and use the rowing machines too during my evening session.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Happy Thanksgiving Monday to the Canadians!
10.5 mi run, 525 yd swim to cool off. I did 300 breaststroke to move my legs a bit differently, 200 free, 200 kick.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did an entire recovery swim workout today, no HR over a 100. Felt shitty yesterday afternoon and last night, so trying to punch my way out of it;

5x(200s@3;10/100IM kick@2;10) swims 2;55/;53's, kicks 1;59 to 1;56
500p easy(6;38)
2000SCY
Quote Reply
Re: It's October - go swim (monthly fish thread) [GreatScott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not sure if this has the same desired effect, but I'll sometimes throw the pull bouy in between my ankles and swim a couple laps like that during warmups. Since the head and feet are floating, my core has to be engaged in order to stay somewhat streamlined.

Whenever I think about 'engaging my core' while actually swimming unaided I either over-rotate or really shorten my stroke/glide. But focusing on a strong and in-rhythm kick seems to help 'ride high', especially when tired!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lots o' yards (for me) on this Monday.

Short w/u, then:
3x this:
n x 300 @ 4:30
100 @ 1:40
-60 seconds rest-

Where n is 3, then 2, then 1

Some floating around, and then my lane swam 2x300 @ 4:20 (which I skipped)

Total for the group was about 4k, I swam 3400

Not a lot of time to talk in the pool this morning, but I did meet a couple people for the first time which was great. The week is off to a good start!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tired or sick?

Curious - do you check HR just on recovery swims, or use it during workouts too?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tired or sick? //

I wasn't sure, wife has been under the weather lately, so I'm on the lookout for early signs. Apparently just tired, had 3 really hard days in a row for me, so no surprise. I almost never check HR in swimming, just use PE, but I did today just to make sure I was ok and not digging further. Feel good this afternoon, so back on track tomorrow. Thanks for asking....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dev, Monty et al

Next year you should put Round the Sound Bermuda on your list of open water events. Great vibe. Great course. (for me in boston, easy travel too... tho west coast is more work for sure) But, according to Strava on my garmin watch, it was 6.35 miles in 2hr 27min. ave 119/100yd which im not sure I agree with but okay. Just mean that it felt harder than that.
Was a fun swim in very salty water. Lone leader has won it 4 years a row. He swam at rutgers. As did 2nd place and his teammate in bermuda, where they train and live. I was in a group of 5 about 10min behind the leader. We had a good group going and at the last aid station i fumbled my gel and it cost me 10 sec. I didnt think I needed to panic, but I should have swum harder to get back on feet. Once i lost em, they were gone. Odd how close you can feel you are in open water but how far apart we actually were. From second place to me in 5th was about 90 sec or so. I lost a further 10meters when I had an aggressive fish of some kind nipping at me with 500meters to go. Very off-putting and a few others saw that larger fish, tho no one spoke of it nipping at them, like it did to me.
Anyways, great event. Felt fit and prepared. 6miles is just a long way. ha
dave

http://www.theundergroundcoach.com
Quote Reply

Prev Next