Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Is triathlon that unpopular?
Quote | Reply

I have been watching some weight lifting tutorials at YouTube to do some off season strength work and eventually you will cross path with a Crossfit video - just to realize a 1hour 2017 crossfit games video have a million views - 1(one) million!!!!

There is a CrossFit influencer that have average 500k views per video.

If you think about the Youtube Triathlon channels ( that I know ) like LS / Tim & Rinny / Triathlon Taren / GTN even Eric Lagerstrom have average of 15k to 35k average views per videos.

Is it ->

Triathletes are just to busy to watch Youtube?

The average triathlete age is higher so they won't seek this kind of entertainment ?

or Triathlon is just not that popular?

Crossfit is a young sport and I think appealing to young people because of the looks?
Quote Reply
Re: Is triathlon that unpopular? [FaKaspar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think that you bring up good points, but I think that an additional factor is that triathlon is not a good and exciting spectator sport. That has been one thing that has plagued it for a while.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's expensive and not very cool. Douchey tri dorks kill the cool factor.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can think of 2 triathlon clubs near me, but there are probably 10-15 CrossFit “boxes”. It’s just a more accessible sport and has more marketability. The only press triathlon gets is during the Kona world championship, which may not do anything to help folks get into the sport of triathlon. I know they focus on age grouper stories during the broadcast, but what most folks take away is really fit people riding on expensive bikes in expensive clothes in an expensive location. You can go to any decent size town or city and find a CrossFit box that offers beginner classes.
Quote Reply
Re: Is triathlon that unpopular? [mwanner13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mwanner13 wrote:
It's expensive and not very cool. Douchey tri dorks kill the cool factor.
Or more like crossfit is all about sexappeal, look on and be looked at.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's incredibly boring to watch.

Nearly all other sports have some form of instant gratification (even golf has a result at each hole).

We should have a competition to name a sport more boring than Triathlon...to watch.

Although I confess, I love the mixed relays.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Also the crossfit videos have some pop and creativity which the kids love. With the exception of the Langerstrom tri videos that are gaining popularity, the others play it pretty much down the middle and lack innovation.
Quote Reply
Re: Is triathlon that unpopular? [Dane82] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So ideally it's is cheaper and have more sex appeal.

+ the average person can't lift weights for 3 hours - thus you don't spend as much time training CrossFit as in Tri
Quote Reply
Re: Is triathlon that unpopular? [michael Hatch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
michael Hatch wrote:

Nearly all other sports have some form of instant gratification (even golf has a result at each hole).

We should have a competition to name a sport more boring than Triathlon...to watch.

Curling, definitely Curling LOL

And Golf as well - I know a lot of Triathletes like Golf.....but it's just to boring to watch / play ( person opinion )
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FaKaspar wrote:
michael Hatch wrote:

Curling, definitely Curling LOL

And Golf as well - I know a lot of Triathletes like Golf.....but it's just to boring to watch / play ( person opinion )

Chess?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
among other reasons triathlon I need somewhere to swim, I need a bike. For CrossFit you need your local CrossFit gym.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are we REALLY judging the sport's popularity according to views on YouTube videos? Have you seen what gets views on YouTube? Mindless Uber driver travelogues and swimsuit try-on hauls and top-10 Nazi officer uniform videos! Compare six model years of Fender Reverb guitar amps! What's the REAL story behind KC & the Sunshine Band's lack of musical variety?

The popularity of any YouTube video is inversely proportional to the IQ of the average YouTube viewer.

There's no reason to panic here, folks. If any triathlon YouTube video ever moves the popularity needle, it will be because someone glimpsed some transition zone nudity with their GoPro camera.
Quote Reply
Re: Is triathlon that unpopular? [FlashBazbo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree entirely with Flashbagbo. In addition I dispute the views of those who think triathlon is boring to watch. Look out for The Super League series, the ITU events on the better courses (Leeds/Bermuda etc) and even longer stuff. You want boring then watch Formula 1/E, golf, tennis.........
Quote Reply
Re: Is triathlon that unpopular? [mickison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mickison wrote:
among other reasons triathlon I need somewhere to swim, I need a bike. For CrossFit you need your local CrossFit gym.

And about $150/month
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Triathlon requires a little more commitment to train and it’s an extreme excessive compulsive sport. CrossFit, you have varied workouts and be able to half ass the commitment a couple of times with minor penalty.
Quote Reply
Re: Is triathlon that unpopular? [mwanner13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mwanner13 wrote:
mickison wrote:

And about $150/month

Yep. Their marketing has done a good job there. I know you can get fit with CrossFit but there are tons of other ways that don’t aren’t as expensive. I honestly like some of their workouts I see online as I do like a circuit type workout but I dont need to pay their prices and I don’t care for doing some of those Olympic style power moves. Squats and deadlifts I’m okay with. But I’m not keen on some of the more explosive moves.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe because triathletes are doing something more productive with their time other than watching YouTube videos?

EX: Reading ST

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Is triathlon that unpopular? [BreadPudding] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lack of colourful enough personalities, vicious rivalries, & crushing dominators.

http://www.fitspeek.com the Fraser Valley's fitness, wellness, and endurance sports podcast
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I still loving racing triathlons but triathlon is full of wankers.

In endurance sports there has been a massive switch to ultra running, cycling fondos (gravel and road), and other boutique events.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am surprised there are as many views in triathlon and just like fake likes, comments, there are fake views all the time. Also a view means even 1 sec of watching. Not necessarily actually watching. With that being said, triathlon is a time consuming sport. I am surprised people have any time to watch anything when they do triathlon. I sat down with a triathlon influencer for coffee a few weeks back. She didn't know who Angela Neath was or Jesse Thomas.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are exceptions, but at the end of the day, doing a 10hr Ironman seems like 5 mins....spectating a 10 hr Ironman seems like 5 days.

Explaining to a non cyclist that going on a 5 hr bike ride seems like nothing, but even I get bored watching some/most cycling events.
Quote Reply
Re: Is triathlon that unpopular? [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I work from home and watch way too many sporting events all day. Who is Angela Neath or Jesse Thomas? I have been in the sport since 2005ish and I only know a handful or pros at Kona and that is mainly because my wife tells me who they are. I could probably name more spartan racers....well probably not.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One of the main candidate to be mayor of Paris just get 1 million view in less than 24h.... masturbation video send to .... err.... not his wife. Ooops.
Happy Valentine !

Not sure the number of view is always reflecting the value of the content.
Quote Reply
Re: Is triathlon that unpopular? [H2Owings] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Look to ITU TV (sprint tris) and SuperLeague. Much more of the fast & furious kind that gets done in less than an hour.

Try spectating Test Cricket...

#swimmingmatters
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.
The Doctor (#12)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FaKaspar wrote:
Crossfit is a young sport and I think appealing to young people because of the looks?

Sorry, but Crossfit is now facing the same problem as Triathlon - declining participation. The Crossfit Open registration numbers peaked in 2018, dropped signifcantly in 2019 and are heading south again for 2020. Sort of like the Oscars.

https://boxlifemagazine.com/...he-sport-of-fitness/

Social media perception of Crossfit peaked in 2013 and has been declining since ... a precursor to what is actually playing out now. The number of crossfit gyms is declining and others are being consolidated or changed to meet new tastes for fitness.

https://www.brandwatch.com/...it-trend-popularity/

Seeing the trend, Reebok dropped sponsorship of the Crossfit Games and the two entities are now in litigation.

So while Crossfit might gain more views than triathlon on youtube, I don't think you can say it is more appealing to people in actual practice. I used to encounter a lot more crossfitters at the gym and at work some years ago; but no longer.
Quote Reply

Prev Next