Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Is this mtn bike too big for me?
Quote | Reply

I want to replace my old mtn bike with something inexpensive. It's pretty much impossible to buy anything in-store at the moment as most shops have no stock. However, I have found a Trek Marlin 7 in Medium-Large (29" wheels). I'm 5' 8.5" with slightly longer torso vs shorter legs.

I will see/ride the bike before buying, but wondered what anyone with knowledge of this bike and rider sizes thinks?
Last edited by: Kay Serrar: Aug 13, 20 9:06
Quote Reply
Re: Is this mtn bike too big for me? [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would say doable with a longer torso. Can you go sit on it and spin around a bit? Swap out a stem or bars at a shop?
Last edited by: talking head: Aug 13, 20 9:35
Quote Reply
Re: Is this mtn bike too big for me? [talking head] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yes - I'll be able to have a spin on it. May be able to swap a stem depending on how busy the shop is, but if not can do that afterwards. It's an 18.5" frame. It's an hour drive to the shop so just wanted to make sure the bike wasn't too big to even bother trying.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You're 5 inches taller than me and this bike is 4 inches taller (stack) and 1 inch longer (reach) than mine.

I'm short legged / long torso at 63.5 inches

I think the bike will be too tall and too short lengthwise
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, an hour drive😬

I’ll hedge my bet because it is probably borderline- what’s the intended use? If it’s just a Two track/crushed gravel path cruiser/ easy buffed out trail/townie bar bike or will you be tackling tougher single tracks?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
talking head wrote:
Well, an hour drive😬

I’ll hedge my bet because it is probably borderline- what’s the intended use? If it’s just a Two track/crushed gravel path cruiser/ easy buffed out trail/townie bar bike or will you be tackling tougher single tracks?

More the former (my racing days are over) or something in between. I may occasionally take it on a slightly tougher single track, but nothing too technical.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hmm, I’ll respond again to bump this to the top but maybe I shouldn’t have replied as I’m not super familiar with Treks sizing.

I can tell you that at the shop I casually help out at this style of bike and price point is in such a demand that they have sold a few bikes where the fit wasn’t optimized..... we can make lot of things work for folks that are going to be multi use trail cruising and easy dirt path park riding but if you have singletrack in mind it might be worth passing on. It just stinks cause demand right now is outrageous and you may have to wait a while at that price point.
Last edited by: talking head: Aug 13, 20 11:24
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kay Serrar wrote:

I want to replace my old mtn bike with something inexpensive. It's pretty much impossible to buy anything in-store at the moment as most shops have no stock. However, I have found a Trek Marlin 7 in Medium-Large (29" wheels). I'm 5' 8.5" with slightly longer torso vs shorter legs.

I will see/ride the bike before buying, but wondered what anyone with knowledge of this bike and rider sizes thinks?
I’m a couple inches taller than you (short legs/ long torso) and i would ride a medium. I say it’s too big.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looking at the sizing chart on the Trek website I'm pretty close:

At 5'8.5" and a 30" inseam, I'm above the middle of the height range and at the low end of the inseam range. So I would think with some stem adjustment I can get a good fit. Appreciate the help.
Quote Reply
Re: Is this mtn bike too big for me? [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Kay Serrar wrote:

I’m a couple inches taller than you (short legs/ long torso) and i would ride a medium. I say it’s too big.

You ride a medium Trek? This is an 18.5" mtn bike frame.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kay Serrar wrote:
At 5'8.5" and a 30" inseam, I'm above the middle of the height range and at the low end of the inseam range. So I would think with some stem adjustment I can get a good fit. Appreciate the help.

The stack on the linked site is identical for M and ML. With longer torso, I think the ML is probably the right fit for you, which seems to be confirmed by the size chart.

At the very least, it doesn't seem to be so far off that it's not worth the trip.
Quote Reply
Re: Is this mtn bike too big for me? [bgoldstein] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bgoldstein wrote:
Kay Serrar wrote:

The stack on the linked site is identical for M and ML. With longer torso, I think the ML is probably the right fit for you, which seems to be confirmed by the size chart.

At the very least, it doesn't seem to be so far off that it's not worth the trip.

Good observation - thanks!

Am making the trip later today.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kay Serrar wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Kay Serrar wrote:

You ride a medium Trek? This is an 18.5" mtn bike frame.

I would, if I were to have a trek. I generally prefer a smaller frame rather than larger, I don’t like being on the low end of the adjustment range.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Is this mtn bike too big for me? [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Definitely wasn’t too big.

Seat height needed to be toward the lower end but could still go a couple inches lower. Reach was perfect, though the wider handlebars feel a little different from my old bike.

So am now the proud owner of a new Trek Marlin 7. Thanks for the above help.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cool!

Just send it!
Quote Reply