Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Is this goal realistic?
Quote | Reply
I have signed up for a half marathon at the end of May. I haven't been running much for the last 2 years. 10k once a week with the dog type thing, around 5min/km pace.

I would like to have a shot at beating my wife at this race. To do that, I would need to run around 1:32. My previous best stand alone time is 1:42, but that is only on 2 runs a week. For this effort, I plan to run 4x/week. I have time for 3 early morning, short runs (30 min) and a weekend long run. I'm 35, 6'1", 185lbs.

Is this goal realistic? What kind of efforts or key work outs should I be hitting/working towards? I have a bad history with shin splints and want to be reserved with the hard efforts, and do as much easy running and soft surface stuff as possible.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: Is this goal realistic? [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've given up trying to predict these things since so much of it depends on individual genetics, ability, current fitness, etc. If it were me though, I'd race a 5k or better yet a 10k as soon a possible to figure out exactly where my run fitness was at. Then if you absolutely can't run 5x/week, I'd try really hard to push one of those short runs to 45-60 minutes, and make it a tempo run using whatever Jack Daniels spits out based on your recent race result. Good luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
I have signed up for a half marathon at the end of May. I haven't been running much for the last 2 years. 10k once a week with the dog type thing, around 5min/km pace.

I would like to have a shot at beating my wife at this race. To do that, I would need to run around 1:32. My previous best stand alone time is 1:42, but that is only on 2 runs a week. For this effort, I plan to run 4x/week. I have time for 3 early morning, short runs (30 min) and a weekend long run. I'm 35, 6'1", 185lbs.

Is this goal realistic? What kind of efforts or key work outs should I be hitting/working towards? I have a bad history with shin splints and want to be reserved with the hard efforts, and do as much easy running and soft surface stuff as possible.

nah. I'd imagine high 1.30s.

Read Matt Fitzgerald's 80/20 book (80% easy, 20% fast). You can get quick running easy, low HR stuff.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I found what took me from 1:40 to a PR of 1:32 for a half was a three month cycle of consistent once-per-week speedwork. I was really surprised that doing such short intervals could take 8 minutes off my half time, but its been really effective. Once a week I would do a tough speedwork workout on Tuesday mornings, with 2-3 miles to warm up and another couple miles for a cool down. Distances varying from 400m to 1200m for a total of 4800m per workout (i.e. 12x400, 6x800s, or ladders from 200-1200m). I would aim to do my 400s at 5:40-6:00 pace. Two other runs during the week would be 3-5 miles relatively easy, and then one long weekend run (7-9 miles) for a total of 20ish miles per week. I'm 31, and 6'1" 185lbs, like you. I think you have enough time to at least come close to your goal, since your race is at the end of May. Note-if you're not used to speedwork, take the first few weeks a bit easy, or there's a good chance you'll pull/strain something or re-aggravate your shin splints.
Quote Reply