Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Is this delamination serious?
Quote | Reply

My 2008 BMC TT02 is showing a line where the carbon fiber seat mast meets the aluminum bottom bracket area. It's not a crack in the carbon, but looks more like the glue to assemble the two pieces together might be separating. Any bike experts out there know what this is and how serious it can be or become? Thanks for any ideas!

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Re: Is this delamination serious? [texafornia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm going to answer your question with a better question: is your wife/girlfriend/significant other a mechanical/materials science engineer?

If you answered no, then the answer to your question is that bike is no longer safe to ride and it is "unfortunately" time to look for a new one. Your ticket to a new bike. If not, I would look into sending it back to BMC for a replacement.

The only way to really know how bad it is is to X-ray it (or ride it until it fails), or you could take it to your LBS and let some guy (with no engineering knowledge whatsoever and a vested interest in selling you a new bike) tell you whether it is or is not safe to ride.

I tweet!

Quote Reply
Re: Is this delamination serious? [ZackC.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
At 5 years old, do bike companies like BMC offer replacements for this kind of problem? I was just assuming that they didn't...

Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
texafornia wrote:
At 5 years old, do bike companies like BMC offer replacements for this kind of problem? I was just assuming that they didn't...
Doesn't hurt to ask. Companies replace old frames all the time, even if they don't technically have to.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not sure about BMC. But Cervelo has a warranty program for defects and a crash replacement program. The warranty program is what it is. If there is a defect or failure that is deemed a manufacturer issue...you get a replacement via LBS. If you have any other issue..crash, break, or whatever that is unknown cause or cannot be verified as manufacturer issue (meaning, its your bad luck, no fault issue on either party)--they will offer you a good discount on a replacement via the LBS. The only restriction is that you have to be the original owner. This way, if its a manufacture issue...replaced for free/low cost. If not, you don't have a total loss. You get a good break on a new frame.

Look into it. Warranty vs Crash replacement policy, start at LBS that is BMC dealer.
Quote Reply
Re: Is this delamination serious? [magmd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm the original owner, but it's a sponsored bike from BMC and QBP so I have no papers on it at all. This should be interesting.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get out of the saddle much? I would expect the area to be mostly compression from your weight with the exception of bending from the pedals (alternating from left to right as you pedal). And since you stay firmly planted to the seat when you pedal while sitting, it should always be in compression in that case. Could be completely harmless if there is a nice overlapping fit of the seat tube to bottom bracket subassembly. But that is a big "if".
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
texafornia wrote:

They might if they were to get mad love like De Soto does on the podcast.

squirrel!

bing

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another good option is to send the frame to Calfee for repair. They will repair carbon frames from all makers. They did a very nice job repairing a crack in my Orbea Orca frame.
Quote Reply
Re: Is this delamination serious? [MI_Mumps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LOL. You bet they would. Bing!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My friend was the 2nd (at least that's all we know) owner of a cannondale road frame that looked to be from the late 90's. It cracked near the dropout and they hooked him up with the newest model and paid the bike shop to swap components over. Idk if they knew he was the 2nd owner, but his bike was WAY older.

Warranties/ policies obviously vary, but sometimes optimism and charm pay off.

I tweet!

Quote Reply