Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Is this a tibia stress fracture? Or other differential diagnosis?
Quote | Reply
I've been in the sport for 8 years. I've never had a stress fracture. I run pretty consistently 150-225 miles per month for the last 7 years. I've had my fair share of injuries but mostly muscular or tendon in nature only taking a few days off or the most a week. However, over the summer I developed some high hamstring discomfort and had to take off 6 weeks off running. I was still biking/swimming. I was able to build my mileage up to 55 mpw without any problems. I was feeling great as I was building for an Ironman. I never did any hard stuff just kept it very easy. However, the next day after my long ride (5hrs) and brick run (5 miles) I noticed on my easy run that my above my ankle was sore/achy. I was able to run the following day 15 miles without any problems it was stiff when starting out but went away as I warmed up. But each day now it's about the same and not getting better. I wake up and next to tibia is achy feeling. I'm able to run but notice it when I first start out. I can't find any tender points along the tibia bone. However, I did the hop test and I'm able to hop but it does illicit some tender pain in that region. None of the muscles feel tender. I can't figure out where it's coming from. I've take Motrin and it does take away the achy feeling. I'm able to move my foot around without any pain. My plan is taking a few days off running to see what happens but I'm wondering if there is something else beside stress fracture with these type of symptoms.
Quote Reply
Re: Is this a tibia stress fracture? Or other differential diagnosis? [TRIDAVID2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Take time off. That being said, usually bone injuries don’t get better as you warm up and the session goes on. So maybe more tendon related.

https://twitter.com/mungub
Quote Reply
Re: Is this a tibia stress fracture? Or other differential diagnosis? [TRIDAVID2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wish there were people whose job it was to help us out with injuries. Like if they had a machine that could take pictures of our bones and people who could look at the pictures and tell us if something was wrong.

*sigh*

Until then I guess asking my forum buddies will have to do.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i've had a stress fracture, it did the opposite, started okay and got worse as i tried to run, had to stop running and biking for while, a long while (6 month swim block did wonders for my swim with lasting results!). I've had a torn soleus origin (grade 1), it kind of got better as I ran, but only sometimes, and sometimes it got worse. had to stop running for a while. I've had shin splints, they just hurt. i had to , yup, stop running for a while.

go see your doctor. get the xray, and try to talk 'em into an MRI but thats usually had to get past insurance without some attempt at PT first.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Big time runner 2 decades ago and while doing a build up in mileage, I had a pain in my tibia only when running. No soreness at any time except running. Right after a painful 10k, I told my coach about it. He asked where and I pointed to a spot on my tibia and he immediately said I had a stress fracture. Upon having a bone scan, it was confirmed.

So in my case, no pain at any time except running, but I could point to one spot and feel a little pain if I pushed on it.

6 weeks off from running, but I rode a stationary bike and used a rowing machine to keep fit. The next year, I set my 10k and marathon PR's so I have to wonder if the time off running actually helped me.
Quote Reply
Re: Is this a tibia stress fracture? Or other differential diagnosis? [ripple] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ripple wrote:
I wish there were people whose job it was to help us out with injuries. Like if they had a machine that could take pictures of our bones and people who could look at the pictures and tell us if something was wrong.

*sigh*

Until then I guess asking my forum buddies will have to do.

you sound like my wife. After over 2 months of pain in my foot - (Of course I continued training and racing)… Yesterday I woke up and said "this is worse today, and I've taken a whole 4 days off because of my nasty cold, it should be better, not worse"

I broke down and went to the doc. and got an x-ray - don't know the results - why did I wait so long? 'cause I didn't want to deal with the truth - it's summer and dammit I want to train and race. So I did (ironically, had a good season too). I really should be paid more for this triathlon stuff considering all the pain I put up with.

At least I haven't asked for advice on ST - so I got that going for me, which is nice :-|

I saw this on a white board in a window box at my daughters middle school...
List of what life owes you:
1. __________
2. __________
3. __________
Last edited by: manofthewoods: Sep 28, 18 10:23
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had tibial stress fracture and know the pain, two years forward (today) I've had issues with shin splints in the same spot of the stress fracture, I know it is not a stress fracture because it was the same as you, after warming up the pain would go away, i was sore the day after or something like that but in the moment of training there were some times in which i didn't even felt something. At one point i ran 400m and was in severe pain, what helped me get through was:

-one week completely off running
-one week with running 3mins, walking 3mins, no more than 10 times or as soon i felt pain i would stop.
-calf compression sleeves
-ice 3 times a day for 10 minutes
-massage the calf with a tennis ball (this will hurt) to relieve the muscles. (i spent 20 mins doing this especially on sore points). this is what most helped me.

after just two weeks im back with my plan and keep running 50K a week =)
Quote Reply
Re: Is this a tibia stress fracture? Or other differential diagnosis? [fmoreirac] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The weird part is I can't find any tender points on the bone or muscle. I don't know where its coming from. I did roll my foot a little last week when I was running on that foot. It didn't hurt at the time so I didn't think anything of it. Maybe something is strained but the achy feeling is what I'm unsure of.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did you ever figure this out or did it go away?

I am experiencing the same issue aching pain on the medial anterior side of the lower leg / high ankle. Absolutely no pain when running or cycling but aches after for days. Only time I have pain during an activity is kicking while swimming.

Have taken a week off and iced/compression sleeves and nothing changed. Considering going to the doc but I'm sure ill get a rest it for three weeks and come back answer which will put me further behind.
Quote Reply
Re: Is this a tibia stress fracture? Or other differential diagnosis? [blaxxuede] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have the exact same pain, blaxxuede. Discomfort in that area of medial high ankle and lower tibia for about 4 weeks. Noticed first when running, and sometimes even with pushing off the wall and hard cycling efforts.

Xray for stress fracture is negative (not surprising, but I thought they might have been able to see some signs of healing if there was a fracture). Doc diagnosed with medial tibial stress syndrome and anterior tibial tendinitis. I'm laying off of running for a few more weeks, and doing PT do deal with structural issues that might be the root cause of the issue. It sucks, and I'm looking at a total of 6-8 weeks off running, but basically, you just have to wait until the pain goes away and slowly ramp back up.
Quote Reply
Re: Is this a tibia stress fracture? Or other differential diagnosis? [Bluefishy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well I guess Ill Give it a few more weeks and see what happens. At least its early in the season.............
Quote Reply