Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Is there any option to HUUB Altair swim goggles?
Quote | Reply
Of course there are many other options, but I have not found any. Of the 15-20 goggles I have tried the HUUB Altair is the only ones I found comfortable.

Why do I need an option? If you ever tried to dive with them the answer is obvious. The gasket comes of pretty easily. The distance between my eyes are narrow so usually I need a small bridge to make goggles fit.

http://www.triallan.com
Ambassador of:
Quintana Roo - https://quintanarootri.com
Bioracer
Precision Fuel & Hydration
Quote Reply
Re: Is there any option to HUUB Altair swim goggles? [Allanhov] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Allanhov wrote:
Of course there are many other options, but I have not found any. Of the 15-20 goggles I have tried the HUUB Altair is the only ones I found comfortable.

Why do I need an option? If you ever tried to dive with them the answer is obvious. The gasket comes of pretty easily. The distance between my eyes are narrow so usually I need a small bridge to make goggles fit.

Have you tried Swedes??? They stay on quite nicely under all conditions that I've experienced in about 12 yrs of wearing them.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm currently using tyr socket rockets. Never had a problem with them.
Quote Reply
Re: Is there any option to HUUB Altair swim goggles? [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Try speedo hydro spec. I am not big and never had a problem. If they don’t work you are only out about $10.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wasn't familiar with them, so I googled and yeah, any goggles that large are going to have issues when diving. They simply catch too much water.

Without knowing what other goggles you've tried, all I can do is give you my list of top 5 goggles that I've tried, in order of preference.

1) Swedes or swede knockoffs. (currently wearing Finis Darts in blue + original swedes in smoke, and I have a 2pack of Speedo swedes ready to be assembled).
2) TYR Socket rockets (swedes but with a very small gasket layer) My go-to's for years, these are my OWS goggles now in the Eclipse tint. super dark for sunny days
3) Speedo Speed Sockets (v1, I haven't tried the v2)
4) TYR Tracer. These are slightly larger than the ones listed above. Again, there's a new version out that I haven't tried
5) Speedo Vanquisher or one of the many clones, e.g. Nike Remora.

I hated (not because they are bad, they just don't fit my face at all)
1) Speedo Fastskin3
2) Arena Cobra Ultra
both of those are very low profile, my eyelashes hit the lens and they were very uncomfortable.

And my list of "meh"
Aquasphere K180. They were OK, I could wear them if I had to, but they're nothing special.
Aquasphere kaiman. (I think that's what they're called). Again - meh.

(edited for the name of the speedo goggles - they're the speed sockets)

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Last edited by: JasoninHalifax: Sep 20, 19 9:20
Quote Reply
Re: Is there any option to HUUB Altair swim goggles? [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Wasn't familiar with them, so I googled and yeah, any goggles that large are going to have issues when diving. They simply catch too much water.

That was my thought looking at them, too. Looks more like a mask.

Quote:

2) TYR Socket rockets (swedes but with a very small gasket layer) My go-to's for years, these are my OWS goggles now in the Eclipse tint. super dark for sunny days
3) Speedo socket rockets (v1, I haven't tried the v2)

Huh. I forgot that both Tyr and Speedo make a Socket Rocket. Turns out I use the Speedo v2.

I tried Swedes including the ones with the rubber rim. I just couldn't get my left eye to seal. Probably do to some iregularity in my nasal bone from an unfortunate encounter with an angle grinder a few years ago.
Quote Reply
Re: Is there any option to HUUB Altair swim goggles? [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:

That was my thought looking at them, too. Looks more like a mask.

Quote:

3) Speedo socket rockets (v1, I haven't tried the v2)

Huh. I forgot that both Tyr and Speedo make a Socket Rocket. Turns out I use the Speedo v2.

I tried Swedes including the ones with the rubber rim. I just couldn't get my left eye to seal. Probably do to some iregularity in my nasal bone from an unfortunate encounter with an angle grinder a few years ago.

I had a brain fart - Speedo makes the Speed Sockets, Tyr makes the socket rockets.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Re: Is there any option to HUUB Altair swim goggles? [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
3 certainties in life - Death, Taxes, and either you or me recommending Swedes on every goggle thread.

I wrote this, you should read it:
https://www.slowtwitch.com/...n_Swimming_6700.html
Quote Reply
Re: Is there any option to HUUB Altair swim goggles? [tallswimmer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If they work for you, and IMO they work for more people than any other type of goggle except (maybe) Vanquishers, then they're the most comfortable and reliable goggles on the market. They've been unchanged for 40 years or so, because they just work. I can't think of any other popular goggle that has been unchanged for that long. Speedo sprints are still around, but no one uses them anymore.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I came home from Norseman with the Altair as my open water goggle, so understand everything you like about that goggle.

TYR Tracer and Speedo Speed Sockets are your closest alternatives for other applications. I have both and lean towards the Speed Sockets as my personal preference.

Scott

Edit: goggle names
Last edited by: GreatScott: Sep 20, 19 17:56
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Allan, I’ve eyes so close together you couldn’t put a bullet between them.

What is working for me is: TYR Blackhawk with a narrow nosepiece, or swede/socket rocket.
YMMV, of course.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Huub altair is a great goggles. Arena cobra ultra is the option. Comfortable, long lasting. Both fit great for me
Quote Reply
Re: Is there any option to HUUB Altair swim goggles? [tallswimmer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I also advocate for Swedish goggles.

Regarding the Huub goggles: $65?!?! Are you kidding me? What justifies that price?
Quote Reply
Re: Is there any option to HUUB Altair swim goggles? [140triguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
140triguy wrote:
I also advocate for Swedish goggles.

Regarding the Huub goggles: $65?!?! Are you kidding me? What justifies that price?

Yeah, it’s pretty high, but that ship has sailed. Have you seen the price tag of the new speedo top end goggles, the pure somethingorother. They’re about $100 up here. Crazy. I’m not even entertaining them after hating the fastskin 3’s so much, they were about $60 down the drain.

Meanwhile the 2 pack of speedo Swedes is c20 off amazon, and that includes a mirrored pair.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought a 2-pack of Speedo Swedish goggles in 2013. I still use the mirrored pair, 6 years on, in all kinds of settings: meets, OWS, OWS races, indoor and outdoor pool sessions. I use a bungee for the head strap and I still have the original string for the nosepiece. I’ll venture to say that I get exponentially more value for my money (US$20) on that single pair of mirrored goggles than just about anyone out there who spends tons of money on single pairs. Take into account all the settings noted above, and probably at least 1M meters on that pair over 6 years (though I’ve also used several other pairs in that time, which accounts for the estimate of “only” 1M m on that pair). Basically, this disproves any advantage (much) more expensive goggles may be advertised to have. I didn’t spend lots to get comfort, reliability, or performance (pools and OWS, meets and training).

That said, even if Swedish goggles don’t appeal to or fit everyone, there are TONS of exceptional goggles under US$20 that literally hundreds of thousands of swimmers use on a daily basis. It BOGGLES my mind that anyone would spend so much, when the technology has been more or less settled for 30+ years. This isn’t a carbon space frame vs steel tubing we’re talking about. It’s GOGGLES.
Quote Reply
Re: Is there any option to HUUB Altair swim goggles? [140triguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
140triguy wrote:
I bought a 2-pack of Speedo Swedish goggles in 2013. I still use the mirrored pair, 6 years on, in all kinds of settings: meets, OWS, OWS races, indoor and outdoor pool sessions. I use a bungee for the head strap and I still have the original string for the nosepiece. I’ll venture to say that I get exponentially more value for my money (US$20) on that single pair of mirrored goggles than just about anyone out there who spends tons of money on single pairs. Take into account all the settings noted above, and probably at least 1M meters on that pair over 6 years (though I’ve also used several other pairs in that time, which accounts for the estimate of “only” 1M m on that pair). Basically, this disproves any advantage (much) more expensive goggles may be advertised to have. I didn’t spend lots to get comfort, reliability, or performance (pools and OWS, meets and training).

That said, even if Swedish goggles don’t appeal to or fit everyone, there are TONS of exceptional goggles under US$20 that literally hundreds of thousands of swimmers use on a daily basis. It BOGGLES my mind that anyone would spend so much, when the technology has been more or less settled for 30+ years. This isn’t a carbon space frame vs steel tubing we’re talking about. It’s GOGGLES.

Yup, I agree completely.

That said, Arena does have something that might be appealing to some people, their "swipe" tech which is apparently an antifog that actually works. But dealing with goggles that fog a little bit doesn't bother me all that much, right now I'm more concerned about keeping up with some of my clubmates. Mike is kicking my ass right now, he crushed me on the pyramid we did tonight, supposed to be a nice steady aerobic swim, but I was hurtin'.

4x50 @45
3x100 @1:45
2x200 @3:30
1x400 @ 6:30 (at this point my quads started to twinge)
2x200 @3:30 (ok full on cramp mode, bailed after the 50 into the second one)
3 x 100 @1:45 - tried to get back into the set, but no Bueno. did 1 of these, then 50 easy and hit the showers
4 x 40 @:45 to finish up.

fancier goggles wouldn't have helped that hurt any less.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Last edited by: JasoninHalifax: Sep 22, 19 18:06
Quote Reply