Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Is there an app to control Elite Direto by HR?
Quote | Reply
All the apps in the world out there to control smart trainer resistance by watts, but is there one that controls Direto resistance by setting and upper limit on HR instead? I've got a Mac, iphone, and Garmin 520 if that's relevant.
Quote Reply
Re: Is there an app to control Elite Direto by HR? [ZenTriBrett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bump. And seriously... there's nothing?
Quote Reply
Re: Is there an app to control Elite Direto by HR? [ZenTriBrett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What's the point?
Quote Reply
Re: Is there an app to control Elite Direto by HR? [sgy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Because Heart Rate is a great tool to train by :)

Insta: Trihennessy - Out Rival Racing Elite Team
- Roka - WattieInk - NormaTec - QUINTANA ROO - Profile Design - Pioneer - Gatorade Endurance
Quote Reply
Re: Is there an app to control Elite Direto by HR? [Hennessyr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hennessyr wrote:

Power is a better tool. On the bike, HR is pretty useless as it changes with position, temperature, hydration level etc.
The fact that it does not exist is probably related to the fact that heart rate is a not so great tool to train by ;-)
Sam
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To be completely fair, Power output also changes by all of those same factors. I put out more power when I am up in my climbing position than I do when I am in aero. I always look at it as power is a performance output, its a result. Power zones change though a season, HR stays fairly constant though a season which is nice. A lot of triathletes train by heart rate. I remember reading that Tim Odonnel trains only by HR.

- Roka - WattieInk - NormaTec - QUINTANA ROO - Profile Design - Pioneer - Gatorade Endurance
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To be fair, a lot of people train by RPE also. That doesn't make it any more of a reliable training metric than HR.
Quote Reply
Re: Is there an app to control Elite Direto by HR? [el gato] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am not saying i am anti power btw, just that both are great tools. I do a lot of HR training in the early season, than move to power.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Of course it is an output! Isn't bike training about getting results?
Anyway, good luck with the HR training schedule but unless you crowdfund an app that controls a smart trainer by HR I don't think any company will develop such software.
You can always put the trainer in road mode and shift, change the cadence, change position or whatever when your HR drifts off.
Sam
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ZenTriBrett wrote:
All the apps in the world out there to control smart trainer resistance by watts, but is there one that controls Direto resistance by setting and upper limit on HR instead? I've got a Mac, iphone, and Garmin 520 if that's relevant.

I know it doesn't help you, but I believe the TACX app (for TACX Trainers only) has Slope, Power and HR. You pick one like 1%, 250 Watts or 160bpm and start a workout.

I'm currently on a Wahoo Kickr, so I don't exactly remember, but I think that's the case.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just don't see this working. Because HR has so much lag built into it. If I go into a 200% FTP pull right off a 55% Z1 ride, I would be a good almost 10 seconds into the pull before my HR would respond in the slightest. I couldn't expect any controller to be accurate with that dilemma.

- Jordan

My Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Even in the best-case scenario that's not impacted by the lack of responsiveness of HR - a long, steady-state effort - I can't see why I'd want to pace the workout by HR vs power. Here's an example... this is a 85' steady ride @ z3 + WU/CD. The trainer is in erg mode. HR starts off in the mid-140's and ends up in the mid/high-150's. If this ride had been paced to maintain a steady HR rather than a steady power, the power would be well down into z2 by the end of the ride. Why would I want that? What's the training rationale behind that?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can't imagine how this would work. Just use an HRM with alarms set and adjust your effort.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm surprised by the ignorance on the subject by some of you here. Let's start off with...
  1. I don't need lessons on watts. Since 2006, I've been professionally coached and I professionally coach others on watts and HR. I have given seminars on how effective watt training is. I've had a personal one-hour conversation with Alan Lim (Developer of the Powertap meter) where he taught me how to train with it and then handed me a sponsored Zipp 808 wheelset to train and race on, and then we had dinner together. I've probably forgotten more about watt training than some people think they are experts about. "Why not use watts?" was not the question I asked. I never said I wasn't using watts.
  2. Tacx does it, so it's "not something that nobody will ever make and nobody will use." Google it and there's a thread on their forums where people are begging for it to come back when they took it away from some product they make now.
  3. Watts is the work, HR is how your body is reacting to the work. You should not be only training the watts readout on your bike computer - you are training your body. For example, if your HR is lower than it usually is for a given watts or RPE, you are probably low on blood sugar. If your HR is higher than normal for a given wattage, then you are probably becoming dehydrated and you need to drink more fluids. The point being "Just train by watts and forget HR" is a very amateur approach to watt training and will actually wreck people going for long distances.
  4. On a long bike trainer ride where HR creeps up, you are beginning to train the grey zone, which people often don't want to do. Training just by watts and ignoring HR is a fantastic way to overtrain and ruin your next race or season, but hey, go for it.
  5. A smarter approach to keep in a training zone for very long rides (again -where you are training your body, not your power meter readout screen) is to cap your HR at an upper limit and then do things to maximize your power for that given HR. In the end, you want to train yourself to have the highest power ratio (speed) to lowest HR(impact on the body) to have a great run off the bike.
  6. If I want to do a three hour ride where I try keep my HR below 140, of course there's going to be some lag. You actually want that. Because in real life, climbing a hill will spike your hr some and you can't get around that. As the trainer sees your HR climbing, it starts knocking back the resistance - just like real life. No big F'n deal. Calm down.

I gotta go take a dump. Hit me up with a response if you know of an app that does what I'm asking for. Gracias and stuff. ;).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
x100.

I've started using HR for my recovery rides and find it much more useful. HR level management isn't that laggy in those lower zone, but an app that does it for me would at least me enough my movies/shows more.

My guess is you'll have to either make it your self or pay someone to do it for you.

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sgy wrote:

Hennessyr wrote:

Power is a better tool. On the bike, HR is pretty useless as it changes with position, temperature, hydration level etc.
The fact that it does not exist is probably related to the fact that heart rate is a not so great tool to train by ;-)
Sam

Typical reply by someone who reads lots but thinks little.
Last edited by: Mario S: Dec 20, 19 3:27
Quote Reply
Re: Is there an app to control Elite Direto by HR? [Mario S] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mario S wrote:
sgy wrote:

Hennessyr wrote:

Sam

Typical reply by someone who reads lots but thinks little.

Little thinking is a prerequisite to post here ;-)
Last edited by: sgy: Dec 20, 19 8:53
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is something that could be done as a Connect IQ app if you use a Garmin head unit.

So basically you start working out at let's say a 100W load and manual increase by 10W (up / down buttons on unit) until you reach your desired HR.
You press the lap button and the app would lock i.e. take your current HR and the current load and enter a control loop where:

// this is pseudo-code
var locked = false; // start out in ERG mode with manual +/- adjustment.
var MAX_DRIFT = 3; // max HR drift +/- from target
var LAG = 3; // seconds between load adjustments

onLock() {
lock(readHR())
}

onUnlock() {
locked = false
}

lock(targetHR) {
locked = true
while (locked) {
HR = readHR()
load = readFECDeviceLoad()
diff = percent_diff(HR,targetHR)
if (diff > MAX_DRIFT) {
sendTargetPower(load + (load * 1/diff))
}
wait(LAG)

}
}

See this thread on Garmin CIQ forum:
https://forums.garmin.com/...t-device/27985#27985

ZenTriBrett wrote:
I'm surprised by the ignorance on the subject by some of you here. Let's start off with...
  1. I don't need lessons on watts. Since 2006, I've been professionally coached and I professionally coach others on watts and HR. I have given seminars on how effective watt training is. I've had a personal one-hour conversation with Alan Lim (Developer of the Powertap meter) where he taught me how to train with it and then handed me a sponsored Zipp 808 wheelset to train and race on, and then we had dinner together. I've probably forgotten more about watt training than some people think they are experts about. "Why not use watts?" was not the question I asked. I never said I wasn't using watts.
  2. Tacx does it, so it's "not something that nobody will ever make and nobody will use." Google it and there's a thread on their forums where people are begging for it to come back when they took it away from some product they make now.
  3. Watts is the work, HR is how your body is reacting to the work. You should not be only training the watts readout on your bike computer - you are training your body. For example, if your HR is lower than it usually is for a given watts or RPE, you are probably low on blood sugar. If your HR is higher than normal for a given wattage, then you are probably becoming dehydrated and you need to drink more fluids. The point being "Just train by watts and forget HR" is a very amateur approach to watt training and will actually wreck people going for long distances.
  4. On a long bike trainer ride where HR creeps up, you are beginning to train the grey zone, which people often don't want to do. Training just by watts and ignoring HR is a fantastic way to overtrain and ruin your next race or season, but hey, go for it.
  5. A smarter approach to keep in a training zone for very long rides (again -where you are training your body, not your power meter readout screen) is to cap your HR at an upper limit and then do things to maximize your power for that given HR. In the end, you want to train yourself to have the highest power ratio (speed) to lowest HR(impact on the body) to have a great run off the bike.
  6. If I want to do a three hour ride where I try keep my HR below 140, of course there's going to be some lag. You actually want that. Because in real life, climbing a hill will spike your hr some and you can't get around that. As the trainer sees your HR climbing, it starts knocking back the resistance - just like real life. No big F'n deal. Calm down.

I gotta go take a dump. Hit me up with a response if you know of an app that does what I'm asking for. Gracias and stuff. ;).

What's your CdA?
Last edited by: G. Belson: Dec 20, 19 9:54
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sgy wrote:

Little thinking is a prerequisite to post here ;-)

I'll give you that. đŸ˜„
Quote Reply