Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Is there a minimum largest cog for use with SRAM 1X long cage RDs? Trying to use 11-28
Quote | Reply
Building a trainer bike on the cheap. Have a SRAM Apex 1 RD long cage. Trying to use 11–28 cassette and it doesn’t seem to work. The pulleys cant get close enough to the cogs, even with B gap all the way out. Do I have to use a larger cog size with the long cage RD?
Quote Reply
Re: Is there a minimum largest cog for use with SRAM 1X long cage RDs? Trying to use 11-28 [triguy86] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
https://www.servicearchive.sram.com/...ompatibility_map.pdf

If I read this right, I believe because it is a long cage 1x that the min is 11-36. Sometimes you can get a little outside of what is in those charts, a 28 I haven't tried myself.
Quote Reply
Re: Is there a minimum largest cog for use with SRAM 1X long cage RDs? Trying to use 11-28 [triguy86] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a 32 on my Red wifli
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why an 11-28 wouldn't work when an 11-36 WOULD work doesn't make much sense to me. But I found this paragraph that makes me believe the 11-36 is just entirely different technology:

Quote:
The 11-36t 1170 cassette is not only marketed to CX1 users, but SRAM has stated that this cassette will only be compatible with “a Force CX1 Medium Cage Rear Derailleur featuring X-HORIZON™ straight parallelogram shifting.”
Quote Reply
Re: Is there a minimum largest cog for use with SRAM 1X long cage RDs? Trying to use 11-28 [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nickwhite wrote:
Why an 11-28 wouldn't work when an 11-36 WOULD work doesn't make much sense to me.
If there's a big vertical gap between the jockey wheel and the cogs, the derailleur can require more lateral movement than normal to create enough of an angle (or side force) in the chain to cause the chain to hop to the next cog.
Quote Reply
Re: Is there a minimum largest cog for use with SRAM 1X long cage RDs? Trying to use 11-28 [HTupolev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HTupolev wrote:
nickwhite wrote:
Why an 11-28 wouldn't work when an 11-36 WOULD work doesn't make much sense to me.

If there's a big vertical gap between the jockey wheel and the cogs, the derailleur can require more lateral movement than normal to create enough of an angle (or side force) in the chain to cause the chain to hop to the next cog.

Sure, I understand that, but wouldn't the gap between the jocky wheels and the cassette be the same on the smaller rear cogs? Or, does an 11-36 cassette somehow close the gap by using wider cogs with the same number of teeth?

For example, and 11-28 and an 11-36 cassette both have a lot of the same smaller cogs, right? So wouldn't the small cogs all work the same?
Quote Reply
Re: Is there a minimum largest cog for use with SRAM 1X long cage RDs? Trying to use 11-28 [HTupolev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That’s what’s happening. The RD moves when I shift but the chain won’t move because the jockey wheels are really far from the cogs
Quote Reply
Re: Is there a minimum largest cog for use with SRAM 1X long cage RDs? Trying to use 11-28 [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nickwhite wrote:
Sure, I understand that, but wouldn't the gap between the jocky wheels and the cassette be the same on the smaller rear cogs? Or, does an 11-36 cassette somehow close the gap by using wider cogs with the same number of teeth?

For example, and 11-28 and an 11-36 cassette both have a lot of the same smaller cogs, right? So wouldn't the small cogs all work the same?
Triguy86 didn't specify what exactly the issue was. It's possible that it's working fine in the small cogs, but shifting gets worse toward the big cogs where the gap starts to grow very large.

It's also possible that some setup changes could improve the situation...

SRAM 1x derailleurs have a very large offset between the jockey wheel and the pivot for the pulley cage. This means that the angle of the pulley cage has a very large impact on the gap between the jockey wheel and the cogs.

The angle of the pulley cage is affected by the length of the chain. If the chain is lengthened, the rear derailleur needs to wrap more chain to maintain tension, which means that the pulley cage will rotate clockwise (when viewed from the drive side). Clockwise rotation of the pulley cage will bring the jockey wheel closer to the cogs.

If the chain length was chosen in the Shimano-style way (putting the chain around the big cog and the chainring and adding an inch), it will be shorter on a drivetrain with 11-28 than on a drivetrain with 11-36. This will cause the pulley cage to rotate counter-clockwise (when viewed from the drive side), resulting in greater gap between the jockey wheel and the cogs, even in the small cogs(!).

It's possible that a longer chain would help the OP's situation.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wow, that's really informative, thanks for the information.
Quote Reply