Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Is there a benefit to doing some training on a road bike as a triathlete
Quote | Reply
So whatta ya think??
Quote Reply
Re: Is there a benefit to doing some training on a road bike as a triathlete [wcaruso] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think so. I do a bunch of my training on my road bike especially hill repeats.
Quote Reply
Re: Is there a benefit to doing some training on a road bike as a triathlete [wcaruso] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i like to build my base on the road bike and as main race approaches get on the tri bike to do the intervals and brick runs and make sure i can handle the distance. this has been discussed before but a road bike help build your core because you have to support your body with your muscular system and on a tri bike you rest on your elbows(skeletal). and a stronger core is a key to racing well. road bike is nice for recovery days and hill repeats. when you want to fly, and near the time of a key race hop on the tri bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ride whatever bike allows you to spend the most time in the saddle. Miles, miles, miles...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is an excellent questions and one that deserves a thorough answer.

There are several benefits to riding a road bike for the triathlete. The benefits aren't accrued as a result of the road bike itself, but rather, how it is used.

Obviously road bikes are optimized for a group ride environment. The benefits of training on a road bike aren't so much the benefits of the bike as they are the benefits of group riding:
  • The opportunity to ride with cyclists that may be one, two or several skill and fitness levels above yourself. Their skill and fitness challenges you to new levels. You reach and grow as a cyclist, improving both your fitness, bike handling skills and knowledge of the road riding environment.
  • We see many triathletes who are reluctant to ride in the real world where they may encounter traffic. While riding in close proximity to traffic is always hazardous and should be done with caution, it is an important skill to learn since we live in a world populated by cars and it sharpens overall situational and environmental awareness of the cyclist. Riding a responsive road bike, especially with an experienced group, can help you make the transition into real-world riding.
  • Riding a road bike on group rides will educate you as to where the good places to ride are and when. We've been doing the same four or five routes for nearly twenty years. Consequently our safety record on these routes is good. We know the routes, know the traffic patterns and still respect the unknown aspects that are a part of every ride no matter how familiar we are with the route.
  • Triathletes often lose time to weak bike handling skills. I see riders with poor cornering technique lose time in corners and into and out of transition. I see riders giving up time on climbs and descents by not taking the best lines. Riding with other riders afford you the opportunity to learn by watching and doing. It is an accelerated process.

We have the good fortune to ride with a number of very expereinced road riders frequently including Tour de France veterans and winners of domestic pro road races. They live in our neighborhood, train in our store and do our morning rides. As a result we have a good safety record and we get excellent training benefit form riding with these fellows.

It isn't so much the road bike that is the benefit as it is the group ride setting it was intended for that is the beneficial part of the deal.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, there are benefits to riding a road bike if you are a triathlete.
It will develop your glutes a little better, and is easier on the body. There are more benefits but as a rule; I have my athletes ride a road bike more often early on & in the off season. As races get close I have them ride their Tri bikes.
Last edited by: Niezgodafitness: Mar 12, 08 18:43
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't have any scientific data, but I'll say I always do 75+% of my training each year on the road bike, but with an increased emphasis on the tri bike approaching "A" races. Seems to have worked well for me, but I also complement my road training with racing (crits & road races on the road bike, and TT's on the tri bike).
The one year I stopped road racing and focused completely on training on the tri bike (2004), I had my worst Ironmans ever. That said, I'm now training with the MarkAllenOnline program and can't be happier. My tempo workouts are now at the power output of all previous years at LT. I have to seriously keep working at a decent clip to keep my HR above 125. I'm still riding my road bike for most of the shorter workouts, but try to comply with the rules (i.e. ride aero) for the long stuff when possible.
Diana

Actually updating a blog this year...http://dianahassel.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Is there a benefit to doing some training on a road bike as a triathlete [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks Tom and everyone else...guess ill have to look at adding an R3-SL to match my P3C :P
Quote Reply