Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Is there a "new" wheel strategy now that Disc Bike's are here for real???
Quote | Reply
Hey Gang:

I saw the new Cervelo P Series launched with an ALL Disc Brake line up. I believe several other brands are going all disc as well.

As a guy who live's in So Cal (I very rarly ride in bad weather) and been in the sport for 15 years and reasonably thrifty with bikes purchases (I am 6'4" so my size keeps a lot money in my pocket). I am curious about wheel ownership strategies for the new disc world.

Me: 2 bikes, 3 wheels sets with Powertaps:
Tri Bike typical rotation is training Aluminum Velocity box rims and racing on Profile Design 24 58/78. I like training on heavy and slow, plus I will not cry over a $200 box rim if damaged in training.
Road Bike Reynolds Assaults (or whatever they called them in 2017 when I bought them from Performance)
All wheels can and have cycled across all bikes for various reasons. (Morning Flat, Broken Spoke, or just wanted to change wheels for kicks).

So with disc is it the same? or is it 1 training / race wheel set all the time? If training and race wheels separately how do make that decision? Do the brakes have to be the same etc etc etc..

Just curious, as I know I will not have a dog in this fight for several years hopefully.

Pete

2017 Cervelo P2
2017 Cervelo S2
itraininla.com
#itraininla
Quote Reply
Re: Is there a "new" wheel strategy now that Disc Bike's are here for real??? [gymrat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, it is the same strategy. Less expensive wheels for training and race wheels for racing.
Quote Reply
Re: Is there a "new" wheel strategy now that Disc Bike's are here for real??? [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One of the big reasons in the past for training wheels was because tubulars were a pita and the hubs weren't considered as durable. Now that clinchers are more of the norm and tubeless are super fast that's not really the case.

These days with people running race wheels in gravel events they're plenty durable and usually have decent warranties many don't feel the need to protect their race wheels.

These days I just train on my race wheels. I have a commuter set but that's it.
Quote Reply
Re: Is there a "new" wheel strategy now that Disc Bike's are here for real??? [furiousferret] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I train on my race wheels as well. I like to be used to riding deeper wheels in lots of weather conditions so I’m used to them come race day.

Matt
Quote Reply
Re: Is there a "new" wheel strategy now that Disc Bike's are here for real??? [gymrat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
if your roads are generally decent... train on race wheels.

I dont train on full disc wheel though.. so it's 1.5 wheelset for me on the TTbike
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yes, the strategy is, wait a couple more years for it all to settle down ;-)
Or currently, all your wheels have to use the exact same manufacturer and rotor size.
So it would be difficult to have training wheels and race wheels, especially since these would not be interchangeable between bikes, unless all equipped identically.

compatibility between different wheels and brake systems is currently nonexistent as far as I can tell..
https://www.bikeradar.com/...ng-you-need-to-know/

"even the methods by which disc-specific components are attached to a bike are still in flux. While there are indications that the industry is settling on 12mm-diameter thru-axles and the new ‘flat mount’ caliper mounting standard, these are yet to be well established or official.
There’s virtually no mixing and matching allowed between disc brake brands, either, at least as far as hydraulic options are concerned. While there’s a fair bit of flexibility for combining different makes and models of rim brakes, especially when you factor in smaller aftermarket brands, disc brakes are much more limiting.
SRAM hydraulic disc brake calipers can only be paired with SRAM levers, for example, and the same goes for Shimano (Campagnolo has yet to officially introduce an option). Cable-actuated disc brakes from TRP, SRAM/Avid, Hayes and others offer more flexibility but even then, differing cable pull ratios between the various makes, models, and even years of levers have to be considered for optimal functionality."
Quote Reply
Re: Is there a "new" wheel strategy now that Disc Bike's are here for real??? [doug in co] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That article is almost three years old.
Quote Reply
Re: Is there a "new" wheel strategy now that Disc Bike's are here for real??? [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
That article is almost three years old.

as far as I can tell compatibility has not improved..

"It is a good feeling for old men who have begun to fear failure, any sort of failure, to set a schedule for exercise and stick to it. If an aging man can run a distance of three miles, for instance, he knows that whatever his other failures may be, he is not completely wasted away." Romain Gary, SI interview
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another thing (and another big headache) to consider with various disc wheels. If you plan to have some race or training disc brake wheels, you then have to make a huge effort to insure interchangeability.

For example, ALL of your wheels must use identical hubs or else, as soon as you switch wheels, the switched in wheelset will drag on the brakes continuously. Because if the disc brake rotors are not positioned IDENTICALLY in space (laterally) to within FRACTIONS of a milllimeter, then the disc brakes will continuously drag. If you really want to use different hubs on your race vs training wheelsets, it is possible to get shims and shim out all of the disc brake rotors so that they are identical (or close) in spacing, but this is a non-trivial amount of work if you have more than 1 or 2 wheelsets.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Last edited by: DarkSpeedWorks: Sep 6, 19 12:02
Quote Reply
Re: Is there a "new" wheel strategy now that Disc Bike's are here for real??? [doug in co] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wheels can be moved from bike to bike quite easily.
Quote Reply
Re: Is there a "new" wheel strategy now that Disc Bike's are here for real??? [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
Another thing (and another big headache) to consider with various disc wheels. If you plan to have some race or training disc brake wheels, you then have to make a huge effort to insure interchangeability.

For example, ALL of your wheels must use identical hubs or else, as soon as you switch wheels, the switched in wheelset will drag on the brakes continuously. Because if the disc brake rotors are not positioned IDENTICALLY in space (laterally) to within FRACTIONS of a milllimeter, then the disc brakes will continuously drag. If you really want to use different hubs on your race vs training wheelsets, it is possible to get shims and shim out all of the disc brake rotors so that they are identical (or close) in spacing, but this is a non-trivial amount of work if you have more than 1 or 2 wheelsets.

Our most popular item in terms of number of units sold this year has been our centerlock rotors shims that does this exact thing.

It's actually a pretty easy thing to get different hubs aligned, but a lot of times the adjustment can be because different rotors sit in slightly different places.

Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
If you really want to use different hubs on your race vs training wheelsets, it is possible to get shims and shim out all of the disc brake rotors so that they are identical (or close) in spacing, but this is a non-trivial amount of work if you have more than 1 or 2 wheelsets.
Non-trivial? I use shims to allow two different brands of wheels to be used and it's super easy to set them up. 100 times easier than putting a tubeless tire on a rim...
Quote Reply
Re: Is there a "new" wheel strategy now that Disc Bike's are here for real??? [Benv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Benv wrote:
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
If you really want to use different hubs on your race vs training wheelsets, it is possible to get shims and shim out all of the disc brake rotors so that they are identical (or close) in spacing, but this is a non-trivial amount of work if you have more than 1 or 2 wheelsets.
Non-trivial? I use shims to allow two different brands of wheels to be used and it's super easy to set them up. 100 times easier than putting a tubeless tire on a rim...
Thanks Benv and Boyd - I'm thinking of getting a disk brake bike and I was worried about this issue.

http://www.jt10000.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Is there a "new" wheel strategy now that Disc Bike's are here for real??? [jt10000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I do bike racing and it's nice to have a dedicated race wheelset that's always ready on race day, with your preferred race tire etc. Having a spare wheelset I can take with me to races is important too since I'll often race twice in a day and should I have a problem with a wheel in race 1 it still allows me to do race 2 with a properly working bike.

Shims are small thin rings that you put on your hub right before putting the rotor on. It pushes the rotor outward by 0.25mm.So let's say you have your brake caliper properly set up for wheel #1 and now you bought yourself wheel #2 and you put it in your bike and it rubs... then the next step depends on which brake pad it rubs against (closest to the spokes or furthest from the spokes).

If it's the pad closest to the spokes, take the wheel (#2) out, take the rotor off, put a shim on, reinstall rotor and put it back in your bike and the rub should be gone. Or maybe you need more shims (they come in packs of 4) if it still rubs.

If it rubs against the pad away from the spoke side, then realign your caliper so the rubbing is gone (push your caliper towards the spokes a bit). No shims on this wheel (#2), but now instead put the shim on your old wheel #1. It's really that simple.
Last edited by: Benv: Sep 7, 19 12:43
Quote Reply
Re: Is there a "new" wheel strategy now that Disc Bike's are here for real??? [Benv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you use centerlock or 6-bolt traditional disc rotors?

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: Is there a "new" wheel strategy now that Disc Bike's are here for real??? [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
Do you use centerlock or 6-bolt traditional disc rotors?
Centerlock on both. I think most wheels are centerlock, I may be wrong but Shimano only has centerlock for road groups nowadays I think.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't see that - there will be tolerances even within the same hub maker, but hubs are on the same nominal length / spacing and same disc spacing (otherwise how can enve or mavic or DT Swiss or etc etc work with multiple bike manufacturers and all the brakes from all the brake companies.

Also one you put a wheel in and use the brakes a couple of times the pads self-centre (if on hydraulic brakes).
If cable then then cheap nasty working ones that only move 1 pad and assume the disc will flex to meet the other pad may well have problems.

I've been on discs for near 20 years on mtbs and happily swap wheels and run mixed up combinations of rotors, calipers and hub manufacturers.
The interchangability only got fecked up by changes by the bike makers to 15mm QR and 20mm bolt through then Boost spacing
Quote Reply