Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Is the magic more in the RD or the shifter for the new "R" series?
Quote | Reply
Finding excuses to buy some stuff/upgrade just a tad.

I've read different things about what makes the newer R7000 thru 9100 stuff shift nicely. Some with the RD being the new shadow style. Some with shorter shifter throws. Some with the cassette ramps or profiles.

If you had to pick, where would you focus more?

The RD/cassette are easy and fairly affordable swaps. The shifters are more labor and cost a good bit per pair.

I'm thinking I need a cassette anyway so go R8000, and toss an R8000 RD in the cart also. Then stick with 105 5800 shifters and FD.

Or, is the newer RD pointless without the paired shifter? Throw per shift doesn't really bother me that much. So, if it's only a throw thing in the shifter, whatever.
Quote Reply
Re: Is the magic more in the RD or the shifter for the new "R" series? [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i think that the shadow style RD with it's greater chain wrap makes a huge difference in shift performance. The R8000 RD and 5800 shifters are compatible so you can always upgrade the RD and cassette now, which is easier to do, and then upgrade the shifters down the road when it's time for new cables and housing anyway.

Brian Jacobson
Fit2Ride Velo Studio
http://www.fit2ridevelo.com
Quote Reply
Re: Is the magic more in the RD or the shifter for the new "R" series? [BrianJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BrianJ wrote:
i think that the shadow style RD with it's greater chain wrap makes a huge difference in shift performance. The R8000 RD and 5800 shifters are compatible so you can always upgrade the RD and cassette now, which is easier to do, and then upgrade the shifters down the road when it's time for new cables and housing anyway.

Thanks Brian.

I was also attracted by the 11-30 cassettes available. I'm going full 53/39 crank as I got a song of a deal on an R9100 crank......but thought an 11-30 may pair nicely.
Quote Reply
Re: Is the magic more in the RD or the shifter for the new "R" series? [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The FD7000/8000 is also a significant improvement
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do like all the things they changed in the R series groupsets. However, I don't think any of the R series parts are actually worth the cost to throw a perfectly working 5800 part in the old parts bin.
Quote Reply