Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Is the legacy cannondale slice still fast?
Quote | Reply
Road racer and part time triathlete (OD racer) here.
Have started to move more seriously into TT racing and possible long course, so a TT bike was in order (one that is UCI legal).

Earlt this year I managed to get my hands on a new old stock cannondale slice- the legacy one, the model that chrissie won on- for 550 bucks. Built it with a spare 105 group and i bought a nice cockpit at a good price- pro missile alloy with profile design clip ons (older j2 bracket but f40 armrests) and zipp evo extensions. Its a clean setup and I have a good position (I think.) I really like the bike and especially considering i got it on the cheap it was a great deal. I already have the acessories I need- quarq, zipp 404, disc wheel (a cheap one with narrow rim)- so its about close to as fast as it can get. The only aero upgrade i can think of is a tririg brake and maybe a stem for better cable routing but those would be rather small gains at most.

Recently though i've had the oppotunity to buy some second hand newer bikes locally - bikes like the slice rs, plasma 3, speed concept , newer argon 18s- for also decent prices. I could afford to get one, but really wouldnt want to as it would be an unplanned purchase and the slice I have now is still new.

I guess my question is- is the slice still competitive with say bikes like the current p3 (heard it's not uci legal, though) , or even compared to the current superbikes? Given that most of it's use would be time trialing my thinking is I would not benefit much from most of the integration for nutrition thats present in the current crop of superbikes. Have seen info where the legacy slice is slower than a shiv tt or a p3 by ~ 10 watts which seens quite abit, but my thinking is the gal could probably be narrowed with a good choice of a bar.
Quote Reply
Re: Is the legacy cannondale slice still fast? [davidalone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If the slice fits and gets you in the right position, it's going to be pretty slippery. (So will any bike that that's true of) That said, yes, you're giving up some watts to one of the "modern" bikes. If you figure ~10w between a p3 and the Slice, then ~10+w from a P3 to the newer superbikes, you're looking at a fair bit of watts. Of course it's not always as simple as back of napkin paper, but short answer yes you're probably giving up some speed. How much/enough to justify an upgrade... all depends on you and your situation.

Personally I could sleep with having a Slice with a slick setup. Doesn't mean I wouldn't lust over something else too though...

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Is the legacy cannondale slice still fast? [Morelock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Seriously doubt it’s a 20W loss

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Is the legacy cannondale slice still fast? [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
Seriously doubt it’s a 20W loss

People like numbers they can pull off of tests. Those are numbers from papers. I doubt it as well, but I don't get paid to know. YMMV

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You've already cleaned up the cockpit. I'd get a TriRig brake for the front. It's worth a few watts, especially if you get a stem with integrated cable stop. Then I wouldn't worry all that much about it. The bike may not be quite a slippery as a super bike, but its no dog. On the plus side, it's light and, with those pencil-thin seat stays (the reason its not UCI legal), pretty comfortable. If the comfort allows you to stay in a good aero position in places where you'd break form on a different bike, it may actually be faster.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Quote Reply
Re: Is the legacy cannondale slice still fast? [gary p] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You may be mistaken. The NEW slice is non uci legal because of those stays, but the older slice is uci legal. Team liquigas rode them in all the grand tours from 2009-2012 .
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
davidalone wrote:
You may be mistaken. The NEW slice is non uci legal because of those stays, but the older slice is uci legal. Team liquigas rode them in all the grand tours from 2009-2012 .

Given that the Slice has been removed from Cannondale's Catalog ahead of the eventual release of the new Super Slice, I thought the "thin seat stay model" was what you were talking about when you said "legacy" Slice.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Last edited by: gary p: Dec 15, 17 8:39
Quote Reply
Re: Is the legacy cannondale slice still fast? [gary p] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

are we talking about the RS? they are still using that for important TTs. i figured it has to be pretty close to the other super bikes in drag.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If one believes graphs/data then you can study this:

Quote Reply
Re: Is the legacy cannondale slice still fast? [buzz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No the slice before the rs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am almost certain that the Old Slice is not 10W slower than the new P3. I had both and I did a zillion of the same local courses in training and also tons of the same races year over year. Unless magically for everyone of these rides where the rest of the equipment was identical, I got better weather days, there is no way the P3 was that many watts better. Basically for the same times, I got the same wattage readings. My fit on both was also the same. I tried to convince myself that the P3 was faster since I "upgraded" but really it wasn't faster in the real world within measurement error. At most I would give the delta 3W (sub 5W). I was no faster on the P3. I recently sold the P3, because at this moment I am riding neither bike due to a disk/nerve issue and when I get back to riding, I don't think P3 buys me much more than what I get with the Slice. I got both bikes on local age group sponsorship deals so it is in my interest to say nice things about both. They are both awesome bikes. I don't think the P3 is "that much better". It is in the noise.....Chrissie was going sub 9 on that frame all over the place. It is plenty fast (and I get that her engine was so huge she could be riding with a parachute bigger than what the navy seals use to jump out of a C-130 Hercules, but still)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cannondale RS aero wind tunnel data from San Diego's tunnel- the RS is the black/top line

Quote Reply
Re: Is the legacy cannondale slice still fast? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here's my 2 cents. I train on a Slice and race on a P5. The slice is slower in the tunnel. ~10W on its own. My position on the Slice is not quite as aggressive and I have a higher cda on it. This is for two reasons. First, again this is used for training and comfort is top priority there. Secondly, geometry wise I can't really myself in to the same position on it (though its a great position). That said, it is lighter and it is more stable in crosswinds by a good amount. Due to that, I can run a deeper wheel up front and remain stable if need be. I've actually raced it on hilly courses and had great times. I race the P6 on anything but those hilly courses. When set up properly, it is a damn fine bike just like almost any bike out there. Is it as fast as a new superbike? Nope, but it still has its advantages. I've ridden a Speed Concept, P5, Premier and they are all killer bikes, but all heavier and not quite as stable in big crosswinds (they are heavy dogs or poor handlers though by any means). Whatever way you go, just get a bike where you can get yourself in a great and comfortable position and forget about the rest.
Quote Reply
Re: Is the legacy cannondale slice still fast? [Billyk24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

The old Tour magazine had the RS being about 2-5 watts behind the P5-6, which is pretty respectable. They have their dummy legs on the bikes which probably makes the results more similar to real world testing.
Last edited by: grumpier.mike: Dec 17, 17 11:40
Quote Reply
Re: Is the legacy cannondale slice still fast? [Billyk24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
this is kind of sad to compare to the Shiv because it's sort of an aero dog, an order of magnitude behind the P5-6, yet the new Slice is only 5 watts or so faster than the Shiv.

Billyk24 wrote:
If one believes graphs/data then you can study this:

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Is the legacy cannondale slice still fast? [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know the rs is pretty slippery. I'm talking about the slice before the rs. Chrissie wellington's slice.
Quote Reply