Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Is swim TSS on TP inflated?
Quote | Reply
So I did a 4400m swim today and TP Gabe me a TSS of 98. A few days ago it gave me a 65TSS for a 3000m swim that included lots of drills. My threshold is set at 1:30/100y which may be a couple seconds too high depending on which test I do.

I feel that these swim tss are too high and play a havoc on my PMC. So the 4400 swim and an easy 8 mile run combine to 175 TSS. I feel that I had a decent day but not 175TSS of a good day.

So am I underestimating the swim stress or is TP overvaluing it?
Quote Reply
Re: Is swim TSS on TP inflated? [KingMidas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TP seems to struggle with swim TSS. After all, assume you just did 3,000m in purely kick drills. Your "swim speed" is going to be slow compared to your threshold swim speed but you're probably going to be exhausted. TP will give you a low TSS thanks to the speed comparison...

Blog | Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Is swim TSS on TP inflated? [trihawg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So how is one to manage that on TP?
Ignore the swim? Apply a TSS manually based on feel?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your bigger issue is combining the two together. Although the PMC is a good feature, it’s always going to have that flaw.

It is a 175 day. But a 175 run day, 175 run/swim day, 175 bike day, 175 run/bike day are all really different stressors and combining the individual workouts will only give you a very rough estimate of training load.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just roll with it. I let the workouts upload so that I have a record of what I did and use whatever TSS it assigns. In the end, the form and fitness functions are just estimates and have to be informed by the way you actually perceive your effort and fitness levels to be. Ideally, you can look at the training log of activities and see the progression of fitness based on performance in workouts but relying on the output fitness number alone can't be enough. There is an inherent unknown in any system.

That being said, on your original example day, a 4,400m swim and an easy 8-mile run may well rack up 175 TSS depending on your thresholds. Would that leave you exhausted? The swim is likely adding fatigue to your upper body more than your legs and the run is hitting your legs while ignoring the arms and shoulders that the swim worked. So you may not be expected to be as exhausted as 175 TSS of all running. For that matter, once I have my fitness in a reasonable range, 175 TSS in a day isn't a bank breaker.

Blog | Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just go with 1 TSS per minute....so 60 mins= 60 TSS. Close enough for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So I did a 4400m swim today and TP Gabe me a TSS of 98. A few days ago it gave me a 65TSS for a 3000m swim that included lots of drills.
these swim tss are too high and play a havoc on my PMC.

I think the don is off from the tkn and owwha, that messes with the tthe, therefore the fuc values is differentiated from the kyou ones, all displacing ar values, and etal, from the king. About sums it up
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's still about 2.5 hours of working out though, right? 175 seems a little high, but reasonable to me for swim/run. (works out to ~.83IF)
Last edited by: Sean H: Jan 15, 19 14:12
Quote Reply
Re: Is swim TSS on TP inflated? [Greatzaa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah I find this is a more accurate reflector of training effect. and be sure to use actual swimming time NOT the time you were in the pool, i.e exclude the rest times
Quote Reply
Re: Is swim TSS on TP inflated? [flight<bird] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No, that includes rest time. So if I have a 60 min training session including rest between intervals, I log 60 TSS. Should it be 50 instead of 60? Maybe, but close enough.
Quote Reply
Re: Is swim TSS on TP inflated? [Greatzaa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well each to their own but I find for an hour of swimming that my tss will feel more like 45 which is more like the actual time swimming. If I am doing more aerobic I might lower it a bit and if I am doing closer to threshold then I might increase it but I never log the entire time I am in the pool..

disclaimer: I am shit
Quote Reply
Re: Is swim TSS on TP inflated? [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sean H wrote:
That's still about 2.5 hours of working out though, right? 175 seems a little high, but reasonable to me for swim/run. (works out to ~.83IF)

About 75 min run and an A session of T26. So close to 3 hours. I am skeptical because I actually feel pretty good. If I had done an equivalent bike run workout of 175TSS or a long bike or long run workout of 175TSS, I would be quite a bit more tired.
Quote Reply
Re: Is swim TSS on TP inflated? [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
So I did a 4400m swim today and TP Gabe me a TSS of 98. A few days ago it gave me a 65TSS for a 3000m swim that included lots of drills.
these swim tss are too high and play a havoc on my PMC.

I think the don is off from the tkn and owwha, that messes with the tthe, therefore the fuc values is differentiated from the kyou ones, all displacing ar values, and etal, from the king. About sums it up

Is that even English?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds like you’re just getting pretty fit!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is that even English?

Thats what I was wondering about the OP! What the hell is he talking about, my Timex ironman watch($24.95) has non of those acronyms

See if you can now understand it, I highlighted the relevant parts...(-;
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
Is that even English?

Thats what I was wondering about the OP! What the hell is he talking about, my Timex ironman watch($24.95) has non of those acronyms

HAAHAHAHAHHA... you have too much time on your hands. But thank you for the laugh.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
Is that even English?

Lol. I should have done some code breaking.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The recommendations to use 1TSS per minute are probably best. The figures are inflated because there is no rest included in the calculation. If you did a continuous swim with no rest (like an OWS) the TSS would be closer to accurate.

That said, I don’t bother including swim in my PMC. I don’t feel like it affects my run/bike training very much, and when I swim I’m swimming regularly, so there is not really a lot of ebb and flow to keep track of.

Quote | Reply
geodee wrote:
T The figures are inflated because there is no rest included in the calculation. If you did a continuous swim with no rest (like an OWS) the TSS would be closer to accurate.

Yeah, the TP TSS calculation for swim gives no consideration to the rest time, only the moving time. That really doesn't work if you're doing short-distance intervals that have a high anaerobic component.

KingMidas wrote:
So how is one to manage that on TP?
Ignore the swim? Apply a TSS manually based on feel?

I found the TP TSS formula, and tweaked it. I figure the TSS just as they prescribe, then I re-figure it with the pace including all the rest time, which results in a much lower number if you're doing any sort of interval training. I blend the two; 3-parts moving-time based TSS, and 2 parts rest-included TSS. For simplicity's sake, you could just average the two and it wouldn't be much different.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Last edited by: gary p: Jan 17, 19 20:10
Quote Reply
Re: Is swim TSS on TP inflated? [gary p] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Think what's most important is making sure you're being consistent about how you apply whatever smoothing you do to the TSS. Shouldn't be anything dramatic, but I can see room for a little upward or downward based on RPE

Chasing PB Podcast Latest interview with Eli Hemming on Targeting a US MTR spot in Tokyo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Hello

IMO, for most peoples (not sure for you), it seems swimming muscles are putting less constraint on the cardio vascular system than biking / running muscles, as they are lighter (if you don't overuse legs while swimming).

So, when swimming, for the same workout, the training load for muscles (for example TSS based on speed, lactate level, ...) is generally higher than the training load for cardio (such as TSS based on cardio, with same zones as biking/running).

If your TSS is based on swimming speed, it might gives higher figures comparatively to your feeling based on cardio, or TSS calculated based on cardio (with same zone as biking / running).

If this is also true for you, it boil down to decide if you want to evaluate your muscle load or cardio load.

Personnally I do both
Last edited by: Pyrenean Wolf: Jan 18, 19 2:36
Quote Reply
Re: Is swim TSS on TP inflated? [Pyrenean Wolf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There is quite a bit of kicking and fin work involved actually. So it’s not leg free.
I think I’ll use the 1 tss per min of swim for a while and see.
The major issue I was having is I usually swim on my rest day. But a TSS of 90-100 from swim makes the TSb (fatigue) worse even though it’s not reflective of how my legs feel.
Thanks all for the input.
Quote Reply