Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Is sub 2 hour marathon around the corner, 57+ for 1/2 today...
Quote | Reply
Ok, 57;59 to be exact, bet he was sprinting like a 400 guy, looking at that clock tick over. But almost 20 seconds better on his WR, that is a pretty amazing chunk to slice off a record like this..So go out in 59;30, come back in 1;00;29???

I only got to see this story, did anyone actually watch the race, what happened?? Pack for awhile, attacks, or just a solo run at some point on his best day??

https://www.nation.co.ke/...T1abOwPEKQGhymZKwWZI
Quote Reply
Re: Is sub 2 hour marathon around the corner, 57+ for 1/2 today... [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From the article he was with a group of 7 through 5k, down to just him and another at 10k and then alone and leading by 26 seconds at 15k and extended to over a minute at 20k.
Quote Reply
Re: Is sub 2 hour marathon around the corner, 57+ for 1/2 today... [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

How soon I have no idea but I do think that it will happen in my lifetime.

When it does, I think that it will be on a non eligible course. Perhaps point to point, tailwind and net elevation loss. So it may not be an 'official world record', but it will be 26.2 miles in under 120 minutes.

Btw, the time has been changed to 58:01.

Once, I was fast. But I got over it.
Last edited by: hblake: Sep 15, 19 9:37
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Geoffrey Kamworor. You could have at least included his name in the post monty :)

Impressive run. 19 second off the old record. Hit 10k at 27:34 and then 20k at 55:00. Per one article I was reading he was with a group at 10k, but by 15k had a 26 second lead. I would be interesting to know his time at 10.5k to see if he ran a negative split. It seems like a good portion of distance records and top times are run this way.

Per wikipedia, he has run 4 marathons (Berlin x2 and New York x2) - kind of surprising that his marathon PR is 'only' a 2:06:12 and was set in 2012. Was looking at Kipchoge's PR's and his best 1/2 is 59:25 (back in 2012 before he made his marathon debut). Though I don't think Kipchoge runs 1/2's ever...

Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My answer is "Yes" I think Kipchoge will go sub-2 in this latest controlled attempt. He was only 25 sec off in the last one - surprising just about everyone with how close he got to 2 hours. Few if any predicted he would get that close!

Now, I think we may be a while yet to see a sub-2 in legit real, sanctioned racing in a marathon. It's hard to replicate all of that and control all the variables they are controlling in these controlled attempts.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Is sub 2 hour marathon around the corner, 57+ for 1/2 today... [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When is the next "controlled" attempt?

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: Is sub 2 hour marathon around the corner, 57+ for 1/2 today... [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
October 12th in Austria. You'd imagine they learn a decent amount from each attempt and adjust as needed. Can't imagine it takes more than 1 or 2 more.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Re: Is sub 2 hour marathon around the corner, 57+ for 1/2 today... [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Awesome, thx.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Massive performance.

Kamworor has been a stud for a long time on many distances and all surfaces. Road, track, dirt. He sometimes won marathon or XC worlds in spring, run a fast championship 10k in summer and then crushed a marathon in fall.

His best performances so far have all come in the half. But I guess he can also run a very fast marathon if he is in the right race. He often did NY which is not a fast course.

And he is relatively young. I think he could be the guy that follows in Kipchoges footsteps in the marathon.

10k - 30:48 / half - 1:06:40
Quote Reply
Re: Is sub 2 hour marathon around the corner, 57+ for 1/2 today... [Chemist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Geoffrey Kamworor. You could have at least included his name in the post monty :)

I didnt want to get accused of posting up a spoiler...(-;

Although I have no idea if and where it was or is going to be on TV. Hopefully since it was a WR, someone will pick it up on a cable channel. The red headed step child of sports, running, ugh...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I live here in Copenhagen and saw it. This record was particularly impressive because there were heavy headwinds on several parts of the course and after 10.5k or so he was on his own. The group he was running with lost all but one of the pacemakers within the first 5-7k and then he dropped the last one and I kept waiting for him to slow down and he never did. At one point he was estimated to finish at 57:44 and if wasn't for the headwinds i think he could have done it. The best part was his reaction at the finish...he actually shed tears over it.

"see the world as it is not as you want it to be"
Quote Reply
Re: Is sub 2 hour marathon around the corner, 57+ for 1/2 today... [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The group that he runs with said they think Kipchoge is capable of running 1:58...apparently their Sunday long run is a marathon at 2:20...thats just sick.

Quote Reply
Re: Is sub 2 hour marathon around the corner, 57+ for 1/2 today... [TizzleDK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know he has to run it no matter what, and I guess they are more trying to see what the most extreme a human can do. But I sure would like to see it done in an more official capacity. Running a certain drafting formation, running with fresh pacers, etc. Again I get it, this is more of a Nike project than anything "real", I just would love to see it done in an race that is more readily accepted. Not as a "science" experience where the best weather will be picked, etc..

But obviously people will and they won't care. They'll appreciate the historical nature of the event, but take it with an *. Of course I dont think anyone associated with the project cares (nor should they). So again is it all being setup this way because that's the only way he can break 2? Well then there you go.

I think I read an article today talking that scientist *think* sub 2 will occur by 2032.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am interested in it the experiment to see them do it only because of the psychological barrier of breaking two hours even though I know it won't count. Kipchoge has a few more shots at it over the next few years so you never know.

Quote Reply
Re: Is sub 2 hour marathon around the corner, 57+ for 1/2 today... [TizzleDK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TizzleDK wrote:
I am interested in it the experiment to see them do it only because of the psychological barrier of breaking two hours even though I know it won't count. Kipchoge has a few more shots at it over the next few years so you never know.

Same with Bannister’s mile, once he did it the psych barrier came down. If kip breaks 2 in October then I think we’ll see sub 2 in Berlin next year, especially if Nike comes out with the vaporfly 8%!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, it will happen soon and then I can dust off the thread where I predicted it would happen in 5 years - this was leading up to the original sub 2 effort through Nike.
John
Quote Reply
Re: Is sub 2 hour marathon around the corner, 57+ for 1/2 today... [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
realbdeal wrote:
B_Doughtie wrote:

October 12th in Austria. You'd imagine they learn a decent amount from each attempt and adjust as needed. Can't imagine it takes more than 1 or 2 more.

Don't they realize that's the date for Kona, and it won't be optimal to watch this 'race' live from Hawaii if you're competing. Blatant disregard for triathletes, if you ask me!

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TizzleDK wrote:
I live here in Copenhagen and saw it. This record was particularly impressive because there were heavy headwinds on several parts of the course and after 10.5k or so he was on his own. The group he was running with lost all but one of the pacemakers within the first 5-7k and then he dropped the last one and I kept waiting for him to slow down and he never did. At one point he was estimated to finish at 57:44 and if wasn't for the headwinds i think he could have done it. The best part was his reaction at the finish...he actually shed tears over it.

I dont think the wind made a diff. Ofcourse it is never good, but the way it was blowing I would say it came out at least neutral if not positive (the head wind in smaller streets with less wind and tailwind on longer stretches) from km 12-17.

Kipchoge will break it in october (2h barrier) not a doubt in my mind if he can stay healthy and weather is good.
Btw it is between 12-20 oct.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TizzleDK wrote:
...apparently their Sunday long run is a marathon at 2:20...thats just sick.

At altitude and on rough undulating terrain...

10k - 30:48 / half - 1:06:40
Quote Reply
Re: Is sub 2 hour marathon around the corner, 57+ for 1/2 today... [ToBeasy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's scary fast!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
+1 ... I am in complete awe of the performances and selfishly I want to continue to see the very best on the planet pushing the limits. I'm a huge supporter of Eliud Kipchoge's 1:59 stunt...

It's literally unfathomable how remarkable these performances are. We're lucky we get to watch. Amazing and entertaining to say the least!

@EddyRoche
www.eddyroche.com
Quote Reply
Re: Is sub 2 hour marathon around the corner, 57+ for 1/2 today... [vonschnapps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vonschnapps wrote:
TizzleDK wrote:

Same with Bannister’s mile, once he did it the psych barrier came down. If kip breaks 2 in October then I think we’ll see sub 2 in Berlin next year, especially if Nike comes out with the vaporfly 8%!!!

I agree there will be some effect, but the Banister floodgates is a bit of a myth.

https://www.scienceofrunning.com/...al-breakthrough.html

Too old to go pro but doing it anyway
http://instagram.com/tgarvey4
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First off, big props to Kamworor. That is an insane feat right there. On the Eliud topic, I don't have any qualms with how they performing the race. With the drafting and car in front dictating the pace. The way I see it, if you are running in the top 5 in Boston, you are allowed to draft someone. That's not illegal. They are just deliberately controlling the draft. I think Eliud will get it this time. That guy is insane.

- Jordan

My Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Is sub 2 hour marathon around the corner, 57+ for 1/2 today... [MrRabbit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MrRabbit wrote:
vonschnapps wrote:
TizzleDK wrote:

I agree there will be some effect, but the Banister floodgates is a bit of a myth.

https://www.scienceofrunning.com/...al-breakthrough.html

That was an interesting article and echoes some of the comments from the ‘Four Minute Mile’ book. The author does skip over the elephant in the room! They didn’t have the pharmaceutical technology after WW2 that is available today.
Quote Reply
Re: Is sub 2 hour marathon around the corner, 57+ for 1/2 today... [Masnart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They are just deliberately controlling the draft.
——

Yes and that’s hugely different than real world “race conditions” with drafting from others in a race. But again I get it. This is part marketing campaign, part science experience. So I get it and will have my popcorn hopefully watching it.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply

Prev Next