Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Is running on the road illegal if there is a sidewalk?
Quote | Reply
All,

So an interesting thing happened to one of my friends recently.

She was running in the street and was "pulled over" by an officer for running on the road. The officer told her that she needed to run on the sidewalk or she could be ticketed for blocking traffic. The road had no traffic on it at the time, and their was no cars to be seen (winter in west Michigan is quiet without tourists). It is also much safer on the road most of the time since their is less things to trip on and people generally don't shovel their sidewalks.

I have been running on the road for years and have never heard anything close to this...

Any advice? Has anyone heard of something like this before?
Last edited by: sergio2589: Jan 8, 19 7:32
Quote Reply
Re: Is running on the road illegal if there is a sidewalk? [sergio2589] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Advice? Gtfo of the bike lanes if you’re a runner.

I cussed a guy out who tried to play chicken with me almost forcing me to leave the bike lane into traffic.

Otherwise I’m used to jumping over when a car comes on roads without a sidewalk.

Fwiw, sidewalks are easier on joints than cars are on the whole body.

I think the official issue is that you are a pedestrian. A bike is considered a vehicle. Legally speaking.
Quote Reply
Re: Is running on the road illegal if there is a sidewalk? [sergio2589] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think it varies from town to town but that is definitely the law in many places. It's usually phrased such that pedestrians (including runners) must use a sidewalk if one is available.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interesting question - I wondered this myself the other day, ended up running on the road (facing traffic) because the sidewalks weren't plowed. You could technically trudge through the snow on them, but running was on the border between annoying and dangerous.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Yes, you are supposed to use the sidewalk when it is available. Since these laws are specific to each municipality, there is room for variation, but the legally safe bet is that you should use the sidewalk. Most of the time this won't be enforced unless there is an incident...in which case, the runner in the street will likely be found at fault.

A little google for "illegal running on road with sidewalk" and similar will turn up lots of advice articles and news stories.
Quote Reply
Re: Is running on the road illegal if there is a sidewalk? [Dgconner154] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dgconner154 wrote:
I think it varies from town to town but that is definitely the law in many places. It's usually phrased such that pedestrians (including runners) must use a sidewalk if one is available.

One could certainly argue that a snow-covered sidewalk is unsafe for passage (especially in the event plowing results in covering them, as is often the case) and thus using the road is an acceptable alternative. But you'll likely still be handed a ticket and be left hoping for a sympathetic judge.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It looks like it is in Michigan. I run on the roads in West Michigan all winter when there is snow on the ground. I've had officers pass me many times. If you aren't causing a problem, I doubt it would ever be an issue.

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(pizlhx5hkvczzgjh4mscezmx))/mileg.aspx?page=GetObject&objectname=mcl-257-655
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sergio2589 wrote:
All,

She was running in the street and was "pulled over" by an officer for running on the road. The officer told her that she needed to run on the sidewalk or she could be ticketed for blocking traffic. The road had no traffic on it at the time, and their was no cars to be seen (winter in west Michigan is quiet without tourists). It is also much safer on the road most of the time since their is less things to trip on and people generally don't shovel their sidewalks.

I have been running on the road for years and have never heard anything close to this...

These threads are always fun because people leave out key details like City and State.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sergio2589 wrote:
All,

I've been hassled from time to time, and usually it's when I'm the only one around and nothing 'exciting' is going on. It's been a mix between a power trip for the officer or a genuine safety concern depending on the reason/how much attitude they give me. I've also heard several conflicting ways I should run/ride on the road, sidewalk, against/with traffic, in the ditch next to the bike lane, etc. from officers throughout the years.

First, apologize to the officer, nicely (even though they're interrupting your workout, or have no apparent cause); then just tell them it's unsafe at the moment for you to be running on the sidewalk (yes, counter intuitive, but any reason will do: dogs, other people, uneven pavement, traffic visibility, etc.) Go to the sidewalk/do what they ask, at least until they're long gone. Don't argue with them, it'll just ruin your workout and day.

Generally though (check local law), peds and bikes are afforded exceptions to enter the street unless explicitly prohibited by signage.

Matt Leu, M.S. Kinesiology
San Pedro Fit Works, Los Angeles, CA
Endurance Athlete and Coach
Consistency/time=results
Last edited by: ironmatt85: Jan 8, 19 8:37
Quote Reply
Re: Is running on the road illegal if there is a sidewalk? [Khilgendorf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would say it's not just snow that's an issue. It's just poorly maintained sidewalks and/or sidewalks with lots roots breaking through or uneven which are easily tripped on. Along any busy street I always use the sidewalk and may just end up slowing down my pace to help prevent busting my butt. Around my neighborhood I often run on the street but it's low traffic and if a car does come along I just hop on the sidewalk to make sure I'm well out of their way.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been running on the roads for over 50 years - in many states - without ever being stopped by a cop. But I have had many car drivers honk and yell, even when there is NO traffic whatsoever in the opposing late (that power steering wheel is so hard to turn). I just wave and keep on going.
Quote Reply
Re: Is running on the road illegal if there is a sidewalk? [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To play devil's advocate.......I hear the thing all the time about uneven sidewalks and roots.

Trail running is a thing, in the dark. What gives? Kids have run cross country for ages. Even seen what Scottish cross country running looks like?

I've read up on the "pavement vs. concrete" firmness and idea about the impact on the body bit too.

In the end, I think it just boils down to people doing what they damn well please.

I'd assume it's much easier to run on the super relatively straight and flat blacktop that doesn't have debris. So, as you damn well please taking the nicer path. I have before also. Some of our neighborhood blacktop is low traffic and super smooth and wide.

And often that's an option out your front door instead of driving to a trail. I just don't get it when your "out the door option" means running on the black top facing a steady stream of traffic inches from hitting you. Yes, cars have a hard-on for bikes/runners. But, you know where the busy traffic areas are in town.

I'd never intentionally pick a crappy bike route the same I wouldn't intentionally pick a crappy run route.

But I've seen people do it. Instead of using the neighborhood streets and connectors and trails......I've seen people running in the blacktop locally on 4-lane avenues at rush hour. Like, WTF.

Just own up to the fact your place of residence is crappy for out-the-door running.

I'm lucky, I take the sidewalk 1/4 mile up my street to the blacktop greenway. Then can run greenway 5 miles one direction non-stop or do laps of the 2 miles around the lake.

Then again, I knew buying our house that I was a bike person and wife a runner.......so the greenway and its connections to good cycling and its use for running were a purchase decision.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Discussed a few years ago.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sergio2589 wrote:
All,

I got a warning once, and it was very similar -- no snow, but this was around 6 AM on a Sunday, no cars on the roads. I run in the street most of the time because in my neighborhood the streets are very wide and many houses have hedges/fences that if you're on the sidewalk prevent you from seeing cars pulling out until you're practically hit by one.

After that warning, I keep doing what I'm doing, and haven't heard 'boo' since. I run wherever I think is safest.
Last edited by: Kula: Jan 8, 19 13:22
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sergio2589 wrote:
All,

While it was quite a few years ago this happened to me and a GF I was running with at the time. Early sunday morning run (7am) to the park where we could run trails. I think we both just stopped and stared at the patrol officer before she said ok, and we hopped the curb to the sidewalk.
I later found out that it wasn't an actual police officer but a citizen patrol person, which drives around in an older police cruiser.
I live in a small north dallas town "the colony" so I'm guessing there was nothing better to do that morning
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Related Public Service Announcement:

If you do choose to run on the road, whether legal or not where you live:

1. Run against traffic.
2. Wear light colors and/or reflective clothing, especially if it is dark and/or getting dark.
3. Move to the side when cars or bikes are approaching - their driver might not see you or might not care!

I live in Scottsdale, AZ, where many roads have a beautiful bike lane in which you can run. Very often, I see people running in the bike lane, after dark, with traffic, dressed in all black, and wearing headphones! They are an accident waiting to happen - Darwin would be so proud! BTW, I have no issue with people running with headphones provided they are not doing those other things.
Quote Reply
Re: Is running on the road illegal if there is a sidewalk? [cholla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
California law allows you to use road in opposite direction of traffic if a sidewalk does not exist. If it were snow covered you can use this argument. I avoid them as the angles for driveways beats up my body
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sergio2589 wrote:
All,

Yep, it's a thing. (At least in Washington and I also believe California)

To quote the Revised Code of Washington (RCW 46.61.250):

(1) Where sidewalks are provided it is unlawful for any pedestrian to walk or otherwise move along and upon an adjacent roadway. Where sidewalks are provided but wheelchair access is not available, disabled persons who require such access may walk or otherwise move along and upon an adjacent roadway until they reach an access point in the sidewalk.
(2) Where sidewalks are not provided any pedestrian walking or otherwise moving along and upon a highway shall, when practicable, walk or move only on the left side of the roadway or its shoulder facing traffic which may approach from the opposite direction and upon meeting an oncoming vehicle shall move clear of the roadway.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sergio2589 wrote:
All,

Totally laughed when I saw the title, then laughed harder when I saw MICHIGAN. This exact thing happened to me in a northern town called Alpena, Michigan. I was on a street (Minor & 12th--just looked it up on mapquest) that has maybe 10 cars a day go down the street, running against traffic on the road. Sleepy little town this Alpena place. The sidewalks had residents parking their trucks and cars in the driveway, but completely blocking the sidewalk. It was daylight, perfectly fine autumn day. A cop turns on his flashers, stops me, reads me the riot act. I'm like, "But the sidewalks are blocked!" Cop didn't care. I guess they had nothing else to do that day & the donut shop was closed.

Only time I've ever been pulled over running. No ticket though, so all was good. But yeah, out West here we don't have cops pulling us over for running. Must be a Michigan thing!
Quote Reply
Re: Is running on the road illegal if there is a sidewalk? [cholla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Please do not tell people to run in the bike lane. High viz or no high viz.

It is extremely dangerous for people riding in the bike lane.

Arizona revised statutes specifically prohibits pedestrians in the roadway if a sidewalk is present.

Our roads in Arizona are dangerous enough. We are one of the states with the highest rates of pedestrian and bicyclist deaths in the country.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cholla wrote:
Related Public Service Announcement:

If you do choose to run on the road, whether legal or not where you live:

1. Run against traffic.
2. Wear light colors and/or reflective clothing, especially if it is dark and/or getting dark.
3. Move to the side when cars or bikes are approaching - their driver might not see you or might not care!

I live in Scottsdale, AZ, where many roads have a beautiful bike lane in which you can run. Very often, I see people running in the bike lane, after dark, with traffic, dressed in all black, and wearing headphones! They are an accident waiting to happen - Darwin would be so proud! BTW, I have no issue with people running with headphones provided they are not doing those other things.

No, you cannot run in the bike lane in Arizona.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Is running on the road illegal if there is a sidewalk? [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
No, you cannot run in the bike lane in Arizona.

What are you talking about? I see people doing this almost every day. I'm not saying it's legal or advisable. For both you and Dr Tri Kat: I never said people SHOULD do that. I just said that anyone who does so, should take other precautions.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can say that in Texas, the law is as follows: You must use the sidewalk when provided, unless it is damaged, dangerous, hazardous, or obstructed. If there is only a sidewalk on one side of the road, you must use it despite which direction you are walking relative to the flow of traffic. If you do walk in the street, you must walk in the opposite direction of traffic flow. In short, whenever I get a "sidewalk" case, the officer files the charge as "walking in roadway where sidewalk provided". Then, I have to go examine the sidewalk and determine if it was usable, or was my defendant justified in walking in the roadway.

Again, this is specific to Texas.

Team Zoot-Texas, and Pickle Juice
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Of course, this just might be overruled by local laws, but the state is pretty clear:

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/...jectname=mcl-257-655

MICHIGAN VEHICLE CODE (EXCERPT)
Act 300 of 1949

257.655 Pedestrians on highways; violation as civil infraction.
Sec. 655.
(1) Where sidewalks are provided, a pedestrian shall not walk upon the main traveled portion of the highway. Where sidewalks are not provided, pedestrians shall, when practicable, walk on the left side of the highway facing traffic which passes nearest.
(2) A person who violates this section is responsible for a civil infraction.

History: 1949, Act 300, Eff. Sept. 23, 1949 ;-- Am. 1978, Act 510, Eff. Aug. 1, 1979

Quote Reply
Re: Is running on the road illegal if there is a sidewalk? [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Actually, that is not the law in California. Most law enforcement think that any time there is a sidewalk or path then that constitutes an “adequate pedestrian facility” and you must run on it.

But...

People have proved that harder concrete, plus it is uneven with driveways, plus cracks and other hazards, plus cars in blind driveways, it is not adequate to run on a sidewalk.

CA Vehicle Code 21956 (a) states that “no pedestrian may walk upon any roadway outside of a business or residence district otherwise than close to the left-hand edge of the roadway” but subsection (b) states that “a pedestrian may walk close to the right-hand edge of the roadway if a … means of safely crossing the roadway is not available ...”

But ...

Vehicle Code 21966 provides “No pedestrian shall proceed along a bicycle lane where there is an adjacent adequate pedestrian facility,” which means a sidewalk or path.

But...

There is a great discussion in People v Cox, a 2008 case, that (1) the Vehicle Code preempts local regulations of pedestrian conduct; (2) any time you are in a residential or business district you can use the middle of the damn road. Since section 21956, only restricts pedestrians from walking on roadways outside of business or residential districts, the logical implication is that inside a business or residential district, a pedestrian may indeed walk in the middle of the road. That’s what the court said.

The court also talked about (the good part) the King’s right of passage.

“As to foot passengers, the old common-law freedom of use of the king's highway has not been modified in this state by any positive enactment. So that it still remains the law that foot passengers have the right to use and traverse the highway at all its points, being chargeable only for the exercise of a due amount of care, which due amount of care, in its quantum, is governed by the circumstances attending the use which the pedestrian actually makes. Thus in this state, even in populous streets of cities, pedestrians are not restricted to the crossings in traversing a street, but may cross it at any point. And the same is true of their right to walk along the roadbed of a highway.”

If you are in California, pretty much run where you want, using due care, which is just common sense anyway. If the police get a hard on about it, play mea culpa, and then as soon as they leave go about your business and run where you want. Trying to explain the law to a cop never really works.
Quote Reply

Prev Next