Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Is rim tape a must??
Quote | Reply
I just got a new rear wheel in the mail yesterday and I noticed that there was no rim tape on the inside part of the rim. Is this very important? Does it significantly reduce the chance of a flat?

Thanks,

Dave from VA
Quote Reply
Re: Is rim tape a must?? [DC Pattie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rim tape is only important if you want the tire to stay inflated.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Like J said it plugs the little holes in the rim that the spokes are accesed through.

Now, if you got Mavic Ksyriums they may not have holes, so you don't need the strip.

In general, if the rim has the holes around the outside you need the rim strip. Good question!

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Make sure you get a quality rim strip. Actually, make sure you get rim tape, like Velox. Don't let the bike shop put on electrical tape, a bozo rubberband like thing, or some other nonsense, stick to Velox.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Velox rim tape is the gold standard. If you have a choice, go with Velox. There are others that are pretty good too, like Pedros and Supa Flex. Michelin rim strips are fine for a while, but tend to crack at the spoke holes.

No tape needed for Ksyriums, or any trispoke / disc wheel, or if you use Tufo tubular clinchers. If you do have Ksyriums or trispokes, then make sure you check the inside of the rim for any metal burrs that could cut the tube.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just wanted to double check. You are talking about a clincher wheel right? Tubulars don't need rim strips.
Quote Reply
Re: Is rim tape a must?? [efernand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, its a clincher. Interesting about the Tufo tubular-clinchers but I using some Conti 3000's I already have. Is the tape fairly easy to install or should I have an expert apply the tape?

Thanks for all the help.

Dave from VA
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Its easy. It doesn't adhere permanently to the rim, so if you mess up a little its easy to start over.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's pretty easy. It's like thick masking tape. The goal is to cover all the spoke holes so the tube doesn't expand into them and burst. You want to try to get the tape over the holes with an even amount of 'margin' on either side, just in case it moves a little. You want it tight, but overly so. Overlap the ends of the tape a little, so it sticks to itself.
Quote Reply
Re: Is rim tape a must?? [jasonk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Many disc and tri spoke wheels DO need rim tape. Check the manufactuers recommendations.

HED used drilled rims for a while on their "superlight" rims. Spinergy did to I think.

-Dave

https://www.kickstarter.com/...bike-for-the-new-era
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dudes...Dave is trolling on y'all.

And you're biting.

Stop encouraging him.
Quote Reply
Re: Is rim tape a must?? [Julian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Believe it or not, I know a guy who thought he could save some weight by not putting on rim tape. (He wasn't the sharpest tack in the box).
Quote Reply