Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Is one long run a week enough?
Quote | Reply
Hello,

I am a bike racer who took up running for cross training this winter and I was surprised to find out how much I have enjoyed it. I have got my long runs up to 15 miles now and have been running three days a week and riding 3 days a week. I'll be entering the Desert duathlon in Phoenix in 2 weeks and then plan on concentrating on bike racing . Races are frequent and there is not enough time to run more than once a week from March through early September. The Powerman, TN is October 12. If I start picking up more running in September is it possible to turn in a decent performance? Is the one long run a week going to give me enough of a running base to do some speedwork in September?

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Is one long run a week enough? [bikerdude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's a tough one, I think you are asking is it possible to run one a week through spring and summer and then hit run training hard in Sept. I don't know the running distances you are talking about, but I assume they are between 5k and 10k. I would feel best if you could run 3 days a week. Day 1 tempo run 45 minutes. Day 2 intervals or recovery run 45 minutes. Day 3 long run of 12-15 miles. This will give you a weekly mileage of 20-25 miles and should be an excellent base for running in Sept.

One long run of 12-15 miles per week? Certainly less than ideal but if it has to be one run a week it is what I would do. Be very careful with injuries. When starting run training in Sept be especially careful of injuries.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think you can definitely do it, but like the previous poster said, you need to be really, really careful with ramping up the intensity and volume in September. I would do all "speed" work on a track or a grassy surface.

I can also tell you that both the bike and run on PMAN TN are hilly mothas, so strength will probably be more important than speed anyway. Run some hills if they are available to you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm a bike racer, Ironman triathlete, and Coach...I'm sorry to inform you that the answer is no. No you shouldn't even attempt it. Increasing speed work without a proper running base is a recipe for injury. Steve Larsen is a prime example. As he put it, he's a "high performance engine on a Yugo frame." Your lungs will let you run far and fast, but your joints will not be ready for the pounding.

Don't give into your bike racer hype that "running ruins your spin/leg speed." If you hope to do Dus/Tris later in the year...You need to keep running. Try to incorporate 2-3 short/mid distance runs during the week and 1 longer run during the weekend. This should ensure that your joints are ready to accept a load of speedwork in the late summer/fall.

Quite honestly, if you can't/won't commit to running, then you may be better served sticking to bike racing.

I realize this isn't always the PC speak that helps invite new members to our sport, but it's the honest truth.

http://wattieink.com/elite-team/
Raising funds to help wounded veterans and racing RAAM 2013 with http://team4mil.org/
"If you are gonna charge... CHARGE HARD!"
Quote Reply
skip the speedwork then... [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This probably would be a better answer than the one I originally gave:

"If one long run per week is all you feel like doing until September, I think that's sufficient to complete Powerman Tennessee feeling good. Rather than bothering with true speedwork, just increase your running volume in September.

That race is 7.5km/50km/7.5km on very hilly (no big sustained climbs, but constant rollers on both bike and run), so speed work really isn't that important unless you think you have the engine to win it. I did both runs at what I estimated to be a little slower than 10k pace last year."

As for Puskas input of 2-3 short/mid distance runs during the week and 1 longer run during the weekend, that's great for people with the time, but plenty do multisport without doing that much running. Personally, I only average about 2.5 runs per week and do 5-6 tris/dus per year.
Quote Reply