Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Is kona broadcast on Amazon Prime? Sponsor?
Quote | Reply
I figured it would be but can’t find anything.

Given they are the major sponsor and all.

Rhymenocerus wrote:
I think everyone should consult ST before they do anything.
Quote Reply
Re: Is kona broadcast on Amazon Prime? Sponsor? [PJC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Facebook Watch I believe given their deal with FB on all their other events
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PJC wrote:

If only there were a place on the Internet that would answer the question of where/how to watch Kona. That would be very helpful.
Quote Reply
Re: Is kona broadcast on Amazon Prime? Sponsor? [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Live race coverage of the 2018 IRONMAN World Championship brought to you by Amazon will be available on Oct. 13, 2018 in the United States on NBC Sports platforms and on ironman.com and globally via IRONMAN NOW on Facebook Watch – www.facebookwatch.com/IRONMANnow.

Originally from: http://www.ironman.com/...p.aspx#ixzz5TWiWgsNN

"They know f_ck-all over at Slowtwitch"
- Lionel Sanders
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The section from that page to be even a little more helpful... looks like there's a few options, Amazon being one of them.

Live race coverage of the 2018 IRONMAN World Championship brought to you by Amazon will be available on Oct. 13, 2018 in the United States on NBC Sports platforms and on ironman.com and globally via IRONMAN NOW on Facebook Watch – www.facebookwatch.com/IRONMANnow.

Originally from: http://www.ironman.com/...p.aspx#ixzz5TWivrlvQ
Quote Reply
Re: Is kona broadcast on Amazon Prime? Sponsor? [Fuller] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just fix that url. Facebookwatch.com is not the correct URL (mega facepalm).

You want http://facebook.com/ironmannow

Group Eleven – Websites for Athletes / mikael.racing / @mstaer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Its all BS.
You can only watch it on Facebook Live.

Funny on how out of touch IM is with their audience base.
An IRONMAN athlete is defined as a male (over 70%), average age of 45 or 47

Over on Facebook; average age is between 25-34 with an almost even split of male/ female.

So why the heck would IM limit their viewing audience?

And the Amazon deal is a joke; it is with Amazon's nutrition department/ business not with anything else. They are trying to push their protein supplements (Vega) through and provide additional value to IM current nutritional partners like Cliff. There is no value in this for Amazon what so ever.
Quote Reply
Re: Is kona broadcast on Amazon Prime? Sponsor? [laughable] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed.

It's proving really annoying for those who don't have an FB account. And after this year, droves of people are deleting their accounts.
RedBull doesn't seem to be streaming it this year either, so that's a loss.

I saw that Amazon nutrition page and thought, "wtf is this." I guess the big Amazon dollars and reach won't be making it's way into the sport if this is how they intend the partnership to exist.

Group Eleven – Websites for Athletes / mikael.racing / @mstaer
Quote Reply
Re: Is kona broadcast on Amazon Prime? Sponsor? [xeon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
xeon wrote:
The section from that page to be even a little more helpful... looks like there's a few options, Amazon being one of them.

Originally from: http://www.ironman.com/...p.aspx#ixzz5TWivrlvQ

It won't be streamed on Amazon only NBC Sports and FB.
Last edited by: ffmedic84: Oct 10, 18 16:43
Quote Reply
Re: Is kona broadcast on Amazon Prime? Sponsor? [ffmedic84] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll be f%#ked if I'm joining facebook so I can watch the race-what a joke! The one big chance to get the world to see your product and they limit the availability for people to get exposure...crazy
Quote Reply
Re: Is kona broadcast on Amazon Prime? Sponsor? [dunno] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you have NBC Sports? If not sign up for a free trial and cancel it after.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
logella wrote:
PJC wrote:

If only there were a place on the Internet that would answer the question of where/how to watch Kona. That would be very helpful.

It was a legitimate question IMO. In prior years there has been coverage on various platforms - Red Bull TV, Quark leaderboard website - but it was always a pain in the ass trying to find it.

No Facebook account, so it looks like I'm stuck with the IM website.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Limit their audience? So males average 45yo are too stupid to figure out how to use the internets and get to Facebook?

laughable wrote:
Its all BS.
You can only watch it on Facebook Live.

Funny on how out of touch IM is with their audience base.
An IRONMAN athlete is defined as a male (over 70%), average age of 45 or 47

Over on Facebook; average age is between 25-34 with an almost even split of male/ female.

So why the heck would IM limit their viewing audience?

And the Amazon deal is a joke; it is with Amazon's nutrition department/ business not with anything else. They are trying to push their protein supplements (Vega) through and provide additional value to IM current nutritional partners like Cliff. There is no value in this for Amazon what so ever.
Quote Reply
Re: Is kona broadcast on Amazon Prime? Sponsor? [Staer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Staer wrote:
Just fix that url. Facebookwatch.com is not the correct URL (mega facepalm).

You want http://facebook.com/ironmannow

Seriously, they keep promoting the incorrect url.
Quote Reply
Re: Is kona broadcast on Amazon Prime? Sponsor? [TH3_FRB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think you’re missing the point there. Off course everyone, no matter what age, can go to the internet and create a Facebook account. The point is, why should you go that way? I don’t have a Facebook account (used to have one years ago) and don’t want to have a Facebook account. Why limit the broadcast to a single closed platform? I have been watching Kona for many years now through the livestream on their website and last year via RedBull T (worked really great on an Apple TV). But there are other options as well with YouTube live and Livestream . com. I understand that they are trying to reach a greater audience, but IM shouldn’t just limit it to Facebook. Work with multiple platforms and you reach an even greater audience. An option is to create a fake Facebook account but why should you even go through that just to watch your favorite race?
Quote Reply
Re: Is kona broadcast on Amazon Prime? Sponsor? [siemons] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
siemons wrote:
I think you’re missing the point there. Off course everyone, no matter what age, can go to the internet and create a Facebook account. The point is, why should you go that way? I don’t have a Facebook account (used to have one years ago) and don’t want to have a Facebook account. Why limit the broadcast to a single closed platform? I have been watching Kona for many years now through the livestream on their website and last year via RedBull T (worked really great on an Apple TV). But there are other options as well with YouTube live and Livestream . com. I understand that they are trying to reach a greater audience, but IM shouldn’t just limit it to Facebook. Work with multiple platforms and you reach an even greater audience. An option is to create a fake Facebook account but why should you even go through that just to watch your favorite race?

Exactly this!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It isn't limited to a single platform. The announcement above says it will be streamed on NBC sports.com as well. They did this last year too, and it was a decent broadcast.
Quote Reply
Re: Is kona broadcast on Amazon Prime? Sponsor? [jeremyscarroll] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I assumed the NBC Sports stream would only be available in the US and not in Europe? But I might be wrong.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
siemons wrote:
I assumed the NBC Sports stream would only be available in the US and not in Europe? But I might be wrong.

If so it’s only for 1.5 hrs anyway from 12:30 - 2 pm EST.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
laughable wrote:

I don't know anyone this young who is still using Facebook.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
siemons wrote:
I think you’re missing the point there. Off course everyone, no matter what age, can go to the internet and create a Facebook account. The point is, why should you go that way? I don’t have a Facebook account (used to have one years ago) and don’t want to have a Facebook account. Why limit the broadcast to a single closed platform?

Well if you're Facebook's director of marketing, are you going to fork over a ton of cash to WTC so everyone can go watch it wherever they want?

I'm more annoyed at Major League Baseball. My father-in-law is recovering from a surgery that requires him being in the same position for a long time, so I thought, hey, we'll just get him a tablet, and surely there's an MLB Playoffs streaming package we can purchase. Nope. Can't stream unless you have a cable contract.

At least the Facebook thing is 1) free (in terms of cash), and 2) you can sign up using a new single-purpose email, then wipe the FB and email account after with a combined about 5 minutes of effort. Can't do that with cable.
Last edited by: trail: Oct 11, 18 6:45
Quote Reply
Re: Is kona broadcast on Amazon Prime? Sponsor? [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I'm more annoyed at Major League Baseball. My father-in-law is recovering from a surgery that requires him being in the same position for a long time, so I thought, hey, we'll just get him a tablet, and surely there's an MLB Playoffs streaming package we can purchase. Nope. Can't stream unless you have a cable contract.
I believe you could do YouTubeTV ($40/month, cancel any time) which carries all the stations the playoffs are on...
Quote Reply
Re: Is kona broadcast on Amazon Prime? Sponsor? [Uncle Phil] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Uncle Phil wrote:
Quote:

I believe you could do YouTubeTV ($40/month, cancel any time) which carries all the stations the playoffs are on...

Thanks, I'll check that out.
Quote Reply